... seems fake

Hi y'all! so for a little background, I'm 5'4", started at a weight of 169 lbs. Had about 30-40 lbs I wanted to lose to get down to a happy place. I'm also a regular runner (I run 6 days a week usually for about 20-30 miles/week). I was put on an SSRI for my depression (Lexapro). I gained the weight pretty quickly, I think ... like over the course of August to December of last year I had put on 40 lbs. I was still running pretty regularly --like marathon training running -- and I still put on the weight. Pretty odd.
fast forward to today: I've been calorie counting here since the end of august of this year and was losing regularly-ish eating 1600 cals and not eating back my running calories. I was losing like, maybe a pound a week? maybe less? I also stopped taking my antidepressant with discussion with a doctor.
but today when I hopped on the scale, I had lost 5 lbs?? I've done it in multiple places in the bathroom and rechecked after breakfast to see what the number was then (vs first thing in the morning naked, lol). I weigh everyday at the same time. I was actually expecting to gain today because I got takeout for dinner last night. The only other thing I can think of is that I haven't run in two days, and it is my TOM. It's a pretty new scale we got a few months ago.

I'm just wondering if you guys think this would be a possible loss?
or am I absolutely overthinking things lol

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Water weight fluctuations...

So I'll side with you to say you're overthinking it. :) If what you're doing is working for you, in that you're losing weight gradually and you still feel fueled enough to keep your running as is: don't change a thing.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I'm also 5' 4" and a runner :) These might help:

aoly7uke05qh.jpg
    dk65tc6ar78v.jpg

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You're probably overthinking it. Eating unusual things can cause weight fluctuations (often up, but sometimes down), scaling back on running can sometimes result in weight fluctuations as well. I regularly see jumps of 4-5 pounds up and down throughout the month, but my longterm trend stays pretty much in the same place (as I'm maintaining). It's just one of those things that happens.
  • I've always heard that it's not good to weigh yourself everyday 🤔 ... I'm new to all this ...
  • dootdootdoooo
    dootdootdoooo Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks so much for everyone's kind words and input! I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens! :)

-- and before anyone asks, one thing I failed to mention is that I have a food scale and have been weighing everything, down to my morning coffee (aside from eating at restaurants that don't provide nutritional info, which I might have every few weeks) so I've been trying to be super precise which is another reason why I was so confused by this loss! I'm not new to weight loss, I successfully went from 210->130 in college on MFP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Maybe you needed a diet break. Sometimes if you've been on a low calorie diet (for your needs) long enough and inundate your body with more energy than it needs, your metabolic rate can rise a little. Now normally weight would rise too, but I've seen it go the other way as well. But chalk most of it up to fluctuations with water balance in your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I've always heard that it's not good to weigh yourself everyday 🤔 ... I'm new to all this ...

It 100% depends on the person. I would freak out if I weighed daily, but it helps many people. There is no right or wrong with how often you should weigh (unless you are obsessing maybe) just like there is no one size fits all for weight loss.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    TOM can certainly make a big difference. The joys of being female!

Not running for a few days can also mean your muscles are not retaining water to heal microtears, which can also make a difference. I am also a runner, and I've learned not to weigh after a hard workout because my body retains a lot of water. OTOH, I usually weigh less after a rest day, but not always. Sometimes it takes more than one day for the water retention to end.

Any unexpected weight gain or loss is usually water. Ignore it if you know that your logging has been good.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I've always heard that it's not good to weigh yourself everyday 🤔 ... I'm new to all this ...

It depends on why you weigh as often as you do and what it means to you. I weigh myself every day because it reminds me that I am keeping track. For me, days without weighing lead to weeks without weighing which lead to the scale creeping up over the months and me in denial for years. That rude number on the scale every morning is the daily dope slap that reminds me that the only way I lose weight is by eating less and moving more.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2020

I weigh myself daily for informational purposes. I track on an app called Libra. For me, its helpful to do this because during times when I feel discouraged, I can open the app and see the trend my weight is taking on a graph (downward), which helps with discouragement over weight fluctuations. If I weighed weekly I wouldn't have this. Plus it's kinda cool to learn when and why my body weight fluctuates.
    What's good for one person may not always be true for others. If you find yourself obsessively weighing then maybe weekly is best. There really isn't a one size fits all approach here.
  • dootdootdoooo
    dootdootdoooo Posts: 7 Member

It depends on why you weigh as often as you do and what it means to you. I weigh myself every day because it reminds me that I am keeping track. For me, days without weighing lead to weeks without weighing which lead to the scale creeping up over the months and me in denial for years. That rude number on the scale every morning is the daily dope slap that reminds me that the only way I lose weight is by eating less and moving more.

^ this is my feeling about this, too. usually I just take it with a grain of salt and if it is up like a pound-ish, I usually just chalk it up to whatever and move on with my day. I was just surprised with more than a few pounds difference from the day prior.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    I’m having similar experience this week too. Except mine is with body fat. I had a cheat day Sunday where I ate anything I wanted from lunch to dinner. My body fat went down and hasn’t rebounded yet. Still keep thinking it will show up “tomorrow”. Body does weird things. beoz1vpczbh6.jpeg
  • RidiriH
    RidiriH Posts: 11 Member
    @rebeccalovesmike19
    Hey, I’m glad you’re new and were brave enough to make an honest comment about how you feel! The first time I made an innocent comment trying to give input I got 8 disagrees with that horrible looking face. It was completely discouraging. I’m an ISFJ , so if negativity discourages you, take a personality test that will give you helpful tips for overcoming stuff like that. I hope this message reaches you. I won’t ever know, because I’m definitely not checking back in! Might see 10 mean faces this time!😂. By the way, I weigh myself daily, but keep track of the last date I saw 190 pounds, 185 pounds, 180 pounds, etc. Looking back on the past helps me face the future. Good luck!

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I do not know Lexipro, but I have a closed female friend who was put on Paxil. Without changing anything else in her life, she gained 40 lbs in 4 months. Took forever for her to get off it and struggled for a couple years trying to straighten out he’d weight/metabolism. I would not be shocked if your gain and loss were tied to the antidepressant.

Antidepressants don’t make someone gain or lose weight. If your friend ate the same calories as before, with the exact same activity level, her weight would not have changed. This is a fact we need to come to terms with. In her defense, her appetite likely increased due to the medication and stress, which can certainly affect weight.

No one can gain weight in a calorie deficit. When in doubt look at the science.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,852 Member
    @RidiriH Nice message to @rebeccalovesmike19 I was surprised by the angry faces I got for recounting an actual family experience of a 22 year old. I though it might be pertinent. I appreciate Rebecca sharing her thoughts as well. That is what it is all about in the community section. <3