Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,844 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Massachusetts Governor Baker announced that he is not canceling Halloween this year, and this is what he said. “And the reason we’re not canceling Halloween is because that would have turned into thousands of indoor Halloween parties, which would have been a heck of a lot worse for public safety and for the spread of the virus than outdoor, organized, and supervised trick-or-treating.”

He’s probably right, but if I had a child that age, I’d probably arrange some kind of virtual trick or treating event. Let them dress up, get treats they want, and hope for back to normal next year. Make it a special day and avoid possible exposure to other people you have no idea whether or not they’ve been exposed. It’s sad, but so many people have had to lose out on special events this year. With all the holidays coming up, a lot of occasions are going to be very different for many of us. 😷

In my neighborhood, houses are on a minimum of a acre of land. I am going to set up at the end of the driveway, with large table, pre-quarentined treat bags and sanitizing stations. Hopefully parents with be responsible for monitoring their kids the rest of the time. Hoping for no rain!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    To steer the Rose Garden scenario towards a "prep" discussion.... DH and I are thinking of creating an outdoor living room in our carport. While it is really nice spending time outside now, we are thinking about December-January when our 2 college students will be living at home.

Disease vector considerations:
    - short term: Both girls have excellent access to Covid testing and will test before returning home. They will isolate and retest, but that won't happen by Thanksgiving so we will be celebrating that outside. I think it will be nice. Different, but ok.
    - longer term: The 3rd sister will be teaching 7th graders up until Xmas eve practically, and the 3 will gather over the months everyone is in town. I learned from the first shelter in place that I just cannot keep them apart. They need each other more than ever with reduced social outlets. So they need a place to do that safely in more inclement weather.

Air flow considerations:
    - The carport is open on one side (3-car) with walls on the other 3 sides. The walls alternate brick (load bearing) and wood panels with 2 foot gaps at ceiling and floor.

In light of the Rose Garden, I'm seriously doubting that this space will provide enough air flow. Of course, experts speculate transmission was more likely during the subsequent indoor reception, but still, I wonder if it is enough and if the effort is worthwhile. Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Restaurants around here are trying to come up with some sort of tent like option that might be similar.

Here, for my own back yard, I just think it will be too cold for anything useable that's largely outdoors. I'm pretty worried about how this is going to be when it gets cold again.
    Changing the subject... twice recently I have run past playgrounds, at two different locations, which are now open and full of children from different households playing together, sharing slides and climbing tubes, hugging and wrestling, no masks, no distancing. Since schools are now open I guess parents figure they might as well throw caution to the winds? Since yesterday we had 115 new cases in the county, it’s making me a little angry that our governor and others are pretending this is over when it’s not.

Public schools aren't open for in person schooling here yet, but there are various sports going on, and so I see groups of kids reasonably often. Some parents are doing pods where a smaller group of kids are getting together, but otherwise socially distancing, so perhaps (thinking positively) it's something like that?
    My mom, meanwhile, is desperate to get a flu shot, but the problem is she can’t get one without doing something much more risky than she has done previously - going to a building full of sick people and waiting for half an hour, then being within arm’s reach of a probably infected health care worker giving the shot. Since she’s completely isolated and isolation will prevent flu transmission as well as Covid, it is much less risky for her NOT to get a flu shot, but she’s hearing the news saying everyone should get one this year.

Is there not the "make an appt at Walgreens" option there?

Or drive through flu-shot events, as there are here?

If you make an appointment at a Walgreens here you will be lucky if you only wait half an hour in the waiting area. It doesn’t mean they will keep your appointment in a timely fashion. We have searched in vain for a drive-through event.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Massachusetts Governor Baker announced that he is not canceling Halloween this year, and this is what he said. “And the reason we’re not canceling Halloween is because that would have turned into thousands of indoor Halloween parties, which would have been a heck of a lot worse for public safety and for the spread of the virus than outdoor, organized, and supervised trick-or-treating.”

That makes sense.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2020

Chicago isn't canceling either -- just trying to avoid traditional haunted houses (and parties too, I'm sure) and big groups. The focus is on keeping people in small, family groups, social distancing (not sure exactly how that works if one is actually handing out candy at the door, as 6 ft apart isn't realistic then), and masks. I think the risk is pretty low, really, but haven't decided yet if I'll put a light on and participate. I could just put some candy out on the porch and keep an eye on it so I can refill.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member

In my neighborhood, kids pretty much social distance in their "pods" when trick-or-treating, anyway. I'm prepackaging my handfuls of treats; I haven't come up with a way to deliver remotely, though.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    In my neighborhood, the parents usually drive the kids door to door at Halloween. Only a few walk the 50 feet or so between houses. (They also drive them 50 yards from the bus stop after school.) The last few years, there have been few kids going door to door because there were a lot of alternate "trunk or treat" events in town at churches and schools. Those would be much more crowded than going door to door - hundreds of people in one place over the two hours or so that they last - so this year may be different. OTOH, not many people in my area take Covid seriously, based on the number I see without masks or with masks worn badly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Everybody's talking about testing but call me skeptical. Exactly how reliable are the tests?? I hear so much about false positives/negatives or where they test negative this day but positive the next or vice versa. :( I guess I'm not putting all my faith in every test of positive/negative that I hear about. :(

Depends on the test. False negatives are actually very rare...false positives are more common. Testing negative one day and positive another doesn't necessarily indicate the test was faulty. Look at the NFL....they test every single day...negative, negative, negative...positive...just the nature of viruses.

The quick tests are the least accurate and definitely require a follow up confirmation...kinda like a pregnancy test. I would imagine at some point these types of tests will be available in drug stores which would actually go a long way and containment, even if they aren't as accurate as other tests...and again, you're far more likely to get a false positive than a false negative.

The nasal swab has a pretty high degree of accuracy as do the mouth swabs...

Also, be careful of "hearing stories"...at this point, there is so much urban myth floating around on social media by deniers that it's pitiful. I know several people in the healthcare field as well as a few that work for DOH and they pretty much roll their eyes at many of these stories...you will note, they are always "I know someone" or "a friend told me", etc.

If there were huge issues with testing it would be reported on by more than just a bunch of Facebook spreaders.

Agreed. I also think it's useful not to think of testing's value as a rigid thing, i.e., that they're either perfect or valueless.

There are false positives and negatives, but odds are that a positive test means one has the virus, and that isolating will reduce spread. A few people may isolate unnecessarily. There may be some false negatives, so some people who shouldn't be out exposing others, but overall more testing shifts the odds toward fewer contagious people wandering around.

Reducing the number of spreaders walking around in the world has benefits at the population level - reduces the extent of future exposure and spread. It can also change the odds for one's immediate associates, even if there are some false positives/negatives.

QFT!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    If the weather's fine I'm just going to bring a card table out to the front of the driveway, lysol wipe it down real good, dump a box or two of candy onto it and sit back 10 feet or so and read a book.

That's a good idea, although like you said, dependent on the weather. Last year we had fewer kids than usual because it snowed, so it wouldn't have worked.

I have a bench on my front porch so could sit there and have the candy in a bowl on the stairs to the porch, which would be plenty far away. Or as mentioned before, I could trust the honor system and just have a bowl on the porch and a sign. I'm curious how many kids will actually show up. (Reminds me I should put my decorations out, such as they are, tonight.)
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,844 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »

In my neighborhood, kids pretty much social distance in their "pods" when trick-or-treating, anyway. I'm prepackaging my handfuls of treats; I haven't come up with a way to deliver remotely, though.

@oocdc2 I bought these (I see that only 2 are left) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halloween-Skeleton-hand-dinner-salad-server-tongs-gray/380268811624?hash=item5889c99568:g:b5UAAOSwKtZZkIk2
  • oocdc2
    In my neighborhood, the parents usually drive the kids door to door at Halloween. Only a few walk the 50 feet or so between houses. (They also drive them 50 yards from the bus stop after school.) The last few years, there have been few kids going door to door because there were a lot of alternate "trunk or treat" events in town at churches and schools. Those would be much more crowded than going door to door - hundreds of people in one place over the two hours or so that they last - so this year may be different. OTOH, not many people in my area take Covid seriously, based on the number I see without masks or with masks worn badly.

Wow. So, there's a conga line of cars up and down the street?

Also, anyone remember Wall-E?
  • oocdc2

@oocdc2 I bought these (I see that only 2 are left) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halloween-Skeleton-hand-dinner-salad-server-tongs-gray/380268811624?hash=item5889c99568:g:b5UAAOSwKtZZkIk2

Those are so cute! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

Wow. So, there's a conga line of cars up and down the street?

Also, anyone remember Wall-E?

That's what I was picturing too. But what a giant hassle getting in and out of the car a million times. Buzz kill. Part of the fun for me was parading around on foot through the neighborhood after dark. It was festive and fun. Driving the route seems totally un-fun. But I guess if that's all you've ever known, that's fun for you...