Replies

• Freeglerock
    Freeglerock Posts: 2,864 Member
    Freeglerock
    Week 1
    PW: 172.0
    CW: 171.6
    LTD: 46.9

Tiny little bit, and in the right direction at least. Am currently in the middle of writing my intro for the month - I have been stagnating for a bit too long now and need to dive in properly to get to my goal!

Also, please may I join the step challenge? Last time I was involved in that it made me move more so that I did not feel the shame of publicising only getting 2k steps!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,158 Member
    Also, please may I join the step challenge? Last time I was involved in that it made me move more so that I did not feel the shame of publicising only getting 2k steps!

I would like to be added to the step challenge spreadsheet. Here are my steps for this week so far. I am in a step challenge with my daughter most weeks so I might as well add it on here as well. Thanks so much.

Consider yourselves added!
  • Freeglerock
    About Me!

Hi everyone. I'm Lisa, 40yo and live in the UK. I live with my partner of over 20 years and we have 2 kids (son 8 and daughter 5). Also have a cat (Curzon), fish and 4 chickens (and an endless supply of fresh eggs!).

Other than occupying myself with kids, work and chores I have 2 main hobbies at the moment which are sewing and allotment gardening (I have 2 allotments that I use to grow fruit and veg with varying success!). The allotments can be incredibly time consuming, but love that every day of the year we can eat something we have grown ourselves.

About my Weight Loss

I have always been on the "larger" side, and my weight has yo-yo'd as I have tried one diet after another. Even as a young teen I attended a Rosemary Connelly class with my Mum! Turning 40 last November, I started my latest attempt to lose weight. Weighing in at 218.5lb (height 5'6") at that point, there was a long way to go to my 154lb goal (top end normal BMI). Using MFP, and increasing my exercise, I have lost around 46lbs so far. This team has been a big part is helping me stay on track, and I am very appreciative of the support.

Now, my issue is that my weight is not currently shifting (or at least it is very, very slow). Looking at my "journey" on Libra, this is what I have lost and when:
    Nov-19 - 9.9lb (-4.7%)
    Dec-19 - 8.3lb (-4.0%)
    Jan-20 - 8.3lb (-4.4%)
    Feb-20 - +5.4lb (+2.5%) (brother's funeral)
    Mar-20 - 6.7lb (-3.4%)
    Apr-20 - +1.7lb (+0.9%) (start of lockdown!)
    May-20 - 6.1lb (-3.2%)
    Jun-20 - 5.6lb (-2.8%)
    Jul-20 - 5.7lb (-2.4%)
    Aug-20 - 3.4lb (-2.0%)
    Sep-20 - 0.7lb (-0.4%)
    Seeing it down like this makes me realise how far I have come, and although I'm not seeing big losses now, that is ok. But...... I still have a BMI of 27.6, and a very flabby belly, and I feel that now is the time to focus on getting this cracked.

So, what do I need to do? Why have I not been losing weight these last few weeks? To be honest, I have not been exercising much, and although I may eat within my target during the week, I end up going over at the weekends (including a bottle or 2 too many of sparkly wine!) That bring me to my...

October Goals

* Post to this group! The months I have done well are ones where I have participated here and made myself accountable
    * Walk at least 70k step a week
    * Do at least 4 workouts (of at least 30min each), not including walks.
    * Drink more water (my aim to start off which is 48oz a day)
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    tryingagain5
    Wednesday
    Week 1
    PW: 200.2
    CW: 205.8
    Gain 5.6
    Not surprised since U've been stress eating.😥
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Check in for past few days
    Yikes, I am so behind on posts! I have been doing ok with IF and eating. A bit of stress eating yesterday, but not too bad and am back on track today. My younger son is really hating in person school. He is a terrible split class, and really disliking how much is being repeated from last year. He ended up in tears in the VP’s office yesterday because in his words “he is not learning new work”. Pretty great advocacy for a 10 yo. The VP called me thinking that I could help just get him back to class, but I got into a fight/debate with her. The lawyer mama bear just comes out of me sometimes. Anyway, I gave him a day off today as a mental health break. He was allowed to stay home as long as he he finished all of his work on Google classroom, which of course he did. Between my two kids, we have been averaging a crisis or two per week since school started. So I just keep sticking to my October goals of doing a small stress busting thing per day and practicing some daily gratitude too.

@pacsnc6 - Happy belated Birthday!

@minstrelofsarcasm - Hope that you are feeling a well as can be expected with COVID.

@freeglerock - Seeing your journey in writing like that really shows how far you have come! Flabby belly or not, congratulations and I hope that you pause to celebrate your successes!
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 945 Member
    kandi3570 wrote: »
    Tuesday check in. Calories over. 1490 ish. And 14700 steps. I had fast food. I know I’m terrible. It happens sometimes. But on a good note. I finished my healthy wage challenge and I won. Now to wait up to 7 days for the money. I’m at a plateau. But over the weekend I ate what I wanted at a baby shower and I ate at Wendy’s today. There is a cabbage in my fridge and I think Friday I will make egg roll in a bowl and try to keep my calories low all weekend. If you’ve never had it you should look up a recipe, and try it. It’s really very good.
    Well anyway. Healthy eating for tomorrow Will probably not happen as I have back to back games and I have nothing pre-made. But I’ll do my best. I may not post tomorrow. But i’ll Be back Thursday.

I love egg roll in a bowl too.
  • 1theresamcvean
    @pacsnc6 Happy Belated Birthday, Patsy! Hope you had fun celebrating with your daughter.
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    @goingape
    Have fun with your classes.

Thanks, last night we didn't run the line I'm having trouble with. We don't run all the lines every night, just the ones that are behind with parts. I do need to remember to breathe when I do that line though. Next time I'm in it, I'll have to remind myself.😊
  • kiane50
    kiane50 Posts: 69 Member
    @Cafelelia sounds like your son is very bright and you’re a great mom.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    edited October 2020
    melaniedscott
    Week 1 (no, I did not forget)
    PW: 213
    CW: 213

No change. I'm blaming it on muscles holding water. I do a ton of walking/gardening on weekends and feel like I've been beaten for half the week. Then I feel human again and do it all over. There has to be a better way.

Busiest/craziest time of year at work (schools are reporting enrollment for funding...oh, the insanity!). And my p-trap (what ever that is) for my shower is clogged. Hoped it would be resolved today...but he can't get to the p-trap as the previous owners remodeled the kitchen and blocked it, which means demo the kitchen or the bath. In the meantime, no bath tub. I do not have an adequate emoji...
    kandi3570 wrote: »
    My cholesterol dropped from 207 last February to 171. All from cutting sugar and carbs. It was borderline but not bad, but now it’s good minus the low HDL. But man I hate everything on that list of foods to eat to increase it. Except nuts but they are high calorie so I’ve been avoiding them. I’m going to have to find a way around that.
    I'm trying to lower mine (HDL is always good, though...is genetic) always...with limited success (including a huge spike in the past 12 mns...don't know what that is about!). The food you are supposed to eat to lower gets boring (apples, almonds, flax seed, oat meal/bran, soy, beans, psyllium...to be fair, I do like beans...). One study I read suggested 3 apples a day. I did it for a whole but boy did that get old.
    Cafelelia wrote: »
    Check in for past few days
    Yikes, I am so behind on posts! I have been doing ok with IF and eating. A bit of stress eating yesterday, but not too bad and am back on track today. My younger son is really hating in person school. He is a terrible split class, and really disliking how much is being repeated from last year. He ended up in tears in the VP’s office yesterday because in his words “he is not learning new work”. Pretty great advocacy for a 10 yo. The VP called me thinking that I could help just get him back to class, but I got into a fight/debate with her. The lawyer mama bear just comes out of me sometimes. Anyway, I gave him a day off today as a mental health break. He was allowed to stay home as long as he he finished all of his work on Google classroom, which of course he did. Between my two kids, we have been averaging a crisis or two per week since school started.

So I work in education (not a teacher) and all the crazy is hard on everyone. I've had school staff nearly in tears over proper reporting (data girl here).

@pacsnc6 Also, happy b-day!

I am hideously allergic to all fur friends so I love to see all the fur baby pics! Such sweet, adorbs! And the real baby, too! Too cute!

Hang in there @tryingagain5! I keep saying I'll do an intro...but I'm exhausted. Need to pack a bag...going to a hotel for a shower.
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Wednesday check in.
    12000 steps way under calories. Not enough water. And I’m tired. Sooo I probably won’t even finish the dinner I logged. But I’m not hungry so I just don’t care. The volleyball game tonight was a fight. We won against all odds. They had so many players and all of our girls had to stay out there for the entire 3 games. Then straight to cheer for football. My daughter is less tired than she was last week though and she’s in good spirits. I it was a great day.
  • melaniedscott
    and, also...

@Freeglerock I love that joining the step challenge motivates you...just to not have to post 2k...I wish it worked for me. Days like today I'm chained to my desk & a 20 foot radius--impressed with my 3200 steps...and I get home sometimes and it is either cook or take a walk...I don't have both in me.

Today was cook (and deal with contractor). Mushroom shiro (ethiopian lentils and mushrooms) and roasted cauliflower and broccoli, finished with late watermelon. MMM. The only good thing about my day.
  • 1theresamcvean
    and, also...

@Freeglerock I love that joining the step challenge motivates you...just to not have to post 2k...I wish it worked for me. Days like today I'm chained to my desk & a 20 foot radius--impressed with my 3200 steps...and I get home sometimes and it is either cook or take a walk...I don't have both in me.

Today was cook (and deal with contractor). Mushroom shiro (ethiopian lentils and mushrooms) and roasted cauliflower and broccoli, finished with late watermelon. MMM. The only good thing about my day.

Wow! Melanie, your dinner sounds so good. I must look that up. Do you have a favourite recipe? Surely it is as healthy as the boring apples, almonds, flax seed, oat meal/bran, soy, beans, psyllium ~ all of which, for some odd reason, I love. Also 60 minutes cooking translates to 3,660 steps. https://www.verywellfit.com/pedometer-step-equivalents-for-exercises-and-activities-3435742
  • melaniedscott
    and, also...

Wow! Melanie, your dinner sounds so good. I must look that up. Do you have a favourite recipe? Surely it is as healthy as the boring apples, almonds, flax seed, oat meal/bran, soy, beans, psyllium ~ all of which, for some odd reason, I love. Also 60 minutes cooking translates to 3,660 steps. https://www.verywellfit.com/pedometer-step-equivalents-for-exercises-and-activities-3435742

Thanks for the very sweet boost, I did log 30 minutes of cooking, though it was probably more, plus moving crap around and emptying cabinets, prepping for whatever kitchen demo has to happen...

Favorite recipe? That is super hard. For fast dinner or overall? Vegetarian or meat? What day is it? I love Ethiopian food but cooking it is laborious...shiro has to cook for ~ an hour, and there's chopping first. But I don't have a proper recipe (I make it up as I go). If I'm actually doing an ethiopian dinner, it is 2-3 dishes plus, if I'm not lazy, the flat bread (injera). I like cooking Indian...I can cheat with Patak's sauce there for korma and tikka masala...aloo ghobi is easy ish but takes a bit of time, chana masala I can do in the crockpot, only a little work. If I'm really commited and my hub isn't around, Madhur Jaffrey (spelling...) has an eggplant recipe and something called Bangladeshi Lentils that I love and (I think) should be made together...I never do naan (LAZY!). Phad thai is nice and easy. I can fake singapore noodles. I like other cuisines, too. I could go on. But I won't...

Individually, each of the good for you things are fine but try to get all of them in your diet every day (and live with a catnivore)...gets old fast...I try to do an apple a day and oatmeal (rolled, bran +flax meal, fruit) several times a week. Some book I read (10 or 15 yrs ago) suggested oatmeal every day. Just. Can't. Even mixing it up and doing savory or swapping fruit...just no, about 3, maybe 4, but that's my limit.
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    @melaniedscott. Wow that all sounds amazing! I’m drooling over here. I do a PayPal’s sauce for butter chicken and buy naan from the store. Yum. I hope your contractor is able to fix up your shower drain issues soon. Sounds very stressful.

@Cafelelia i hope things get better for your son. Maybe the teacher could assign him a project to challenge him more. Split classes are always a balancing act I’ve found.

@mainebeachbum i hope your week gets better!

@pacsnc6 happy birthday! I hope you had a great meal with your daughter !

@kandi3570 great work on decreasing your cholesterol. I’m still fighting this battle.

My day today was good with a nice treat making cards with my sister. I’m off on Friday so looking forward to a nice long weekend. Still planning my meal for Sunday. Any great vegetable side dishes your would suggest? We are having turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy. All the classics.
  • Freeglerock
    Check-in: Weds 7th Oct
    Food: Logged and under
    Water: on plan - 48oz
    Exercise: 55min BodyStep

Steps (for challenge): Sun 11,119, Mon 17,565, Tues 10,844, Weds 16,225

I am not a morning person, so I tend to exercise in the evening once my dinner has gone down and the kids are in bed. Last night at about 9:30pm I get into my gym clothes, find the workout I wanted to do and got my equipment out into the middle of the room. I go to start my Garmin watch and it tells me it has 1% battery charge. What to do? Doing a workout without it being tracked to send data to MFP kind of feel like it never happened! I want/(need) to see the credit and validation of that workout! So on charge the watch goes, and my workout started about an hour later. Seems crazy my mentality that it needs to be tracked, that I need to see the extra calories I earn from the exercise - it's not like my body won't respond to the extra effort. Anyway, exercise did happened, and it was recorded by my Garmin, and MFP gave me the extra calories - all good in the end!

@pacsnc6 Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great one!
    @minstrelofsarcasm sorry to read of your COVID diagnosis and the extra difficulties it has presented to you. Hoping that each day it gets better.
    @Cafelelia my heart goes out to you and your son. This time is so difficult for them. Must also be so difficult for the teachers too. I know my son has been finding it frustrating going over learning done last year and during lockdown. Unfortunately this mean Ben is not engaged in the learning and so is finding himself distracted and being a distraction - thunk we may soon be called in to see the Headmaster! I hope the schools figure out a better way of dealing with this soon, it just has such an impact on their lives. Hugs x
    @tryingagain5 I too reckon it is just practice that is needed - you can't expect to be able to go full pelt on a new process. Takes time for the brain to build the wire and connections to make the process more automatic. I can just imagine the look of concentration on your face! But ultimately, work is a big part of life, and you need to be happy and confident in what you are doing and getting stressed over it can't be good. Talking to you boss sounds like a good plan, even just to get re-assurance. Take care of yourself.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 425 Member
    wxxarfxhbds8.png
This discussion has been closed.