How much coffee do you drink and do you count it as part of your water intake?

I have seen that recent studies now say coffee does count toward your water intake. I am drinking almost 1 liter of coffee every morning just because I like the taste. Also I make my coffee very weak. About 40g of coffee ground for 1.3L of water. Wondering what other people's opinion is on if coffee should count and is 1 liter of weak coffee is too much.

Replies

• sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Usually 2 cups of black coffee per day. Don't really count them as water since it makes me go to the bathroom.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    I would if I kept track of my water intake better. But basically I'm just telling myself "WOW you did NOT drink enough water today. Again."

I drink about 11 oz a day. Any more and I get a headache. Any less... and I get a headache and am tired.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Definitely not too much I drink 4x that and have for years. I make it really weak too (only 1/4c coffee grounds for 12 cups water). I have about 1.5 pots a day and count it as water.
  • ddavenport6962
    ddavenport6962 Posts: 17 Member
    I only have 3 cups of weak coffee per day but have never counted it as my water intake. As coffee is a diuretic my dr tells me to drink 2 extra glasses of water for every cup of coffee i drink .😊
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2020
    The problem with coffee is that it is not as hydrating as water. The caffeine makes liquid move through your system more quickly, so you are not absorbing it as effectively.

I don't track water but I would suggest maybe logging coffee as around half the amount of water that you actually put in it. Same with green/black teas. Unless it's decaf of course, then it's fine - it's just the caffeine that makes it less effective at hydrating you.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I drink 3 quarts of water a day (when I am following my plan) and then coffee/tea/other is just extra. I have a 100 ounce water bottle that I fill up for the day. I do think coffee counts toward water intake, I just keep it separate
  • I don’t drink coffee.
    I do drink tea. Probably too much if it. Definitely more than I did when I was commuting into the office everyday.
    I don’t track water or tea consumption. What I do do is: for every cup of tea, I also drink a glass of water. I figure that way, there is some sort of balance in my liquid consumption.
  • amybrown1228
    amybrown1228 Posts: 6 Member
    I usually drink 4 cups (well, let's be honest, mugs) of coffee each day, and I put 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk in each one. I don't count them toward my water intake, though. Honestly, all I ever drink is the coffee/almond milk and water, so I get plenty of water in each day.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    I don't drink coffee, but if I did I would not consider it hydration. So, no, I would not count it.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Drink one 8 oz cup every morning, don't count it as water. I stopped tracking water a long time ago. I just bring a gigantic bottle with me to work every day and try to finish it before I go home.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    So not many people follow the 8 cups of water a day. More intuitive fluid drinking and how often you are going to determine if you need more fluids. People mentioned tea, but nobody many people mentioned sodas. Is soda or carbonated drinks not as popular with fitness community?
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    I drink 10 measuring cups of coffee per day. I do not count that towards my water intake.

I usually drink four 20oz bottles of water per day. I feel sufficiently hydrated.

I don't think soda is generally that popular as the regular stuff has tons of sugar and the diet has loads of aspartame, which both seem to be discouraged. If I still drank soda I wouldn't count it. I'm intent on getting my 8 glasses per day, although I do add lemon juice!
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    JessBbody wrote: »
    I drink 10 measuring cups of coffee per day. I do not count that towards my water intake.

I usually drink four 20oz bottles of water per day. I feel sufficiently hydrated.

I don't think soda is generally that popular as the regular stuff has tons of sugar and the diet has loads of aspartame, which both seem to be discouraged. If I still drank soda I wouldn't count it. I'm intent on getting my 8 glasses per day, although I do add lemon juice!

Wow.. I don't drink nearly that much and I am already going to the bathroom every 2 hours. Even though I don't drink anything after 6 PM. I am still waking up in the night multiple times to go, which unfortunately is very disruptive to my sleep.

I can't image how much worse it would be for me if I drank as much as you.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020
    globalc00 wrote: »
    JessBbody wrote: »

Wow.. I don't drink nearly that much and I am already going to the bathroom every 2 hours. Even though I don't drink anything after 6 PM. I am still waking up in the night multiple times to go, which unfortunately is very disruptive to my sleep.

I can't image how much worse it would be for me if I drank as much as you.

I drink 15-18 measuring cups of coffee (not counting the 4c of water I drink per day) and pee all the time too. I drink 8 cups a half hour before bed, but only get up once or twice to go.