Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,846 Member
    yes, agreed, snowflake

"Why, if it was here in all parts of the U.S. in December of 2019, did it only start killing people in March? "

False premise - I dont think it was anywhere before the first official cases - doesnt make sense that your one group would have it randomly and then it just peter out with nobody taking any precautions, in a way it hasnt anywhere else.

I remember an article last spring about a British citizen (journalist if I recall) living in China and last fall he came down with an illness, right around Thanksgiving (end Nov). Symptoms were a complete match to the not yet known COVID and he had a very rough time of it. The doctors at the time took and kept a blood sample. He recovered, and then 3 weeks or a month later, he ends up getting informed that what he had had was COVID. That lines up with first cases being announced. I firmly believe that there were cases prior to the ones identified as such. JMO
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,846 Member
    @Noreenmarie1234 I have heard other such stories

@Jeromebarry1 Let's assume for a minute that the illness was COVID, and your question is why the lack of deaths. Two points I will bring up. One there were two strains that came into the US. If I am remembering correctly, the one that came to the US directly from China was a weaker strain than the one that came in vis Europe. Point two relates to the demographics of those contracting the virus as well as the hospitalization and death rates. So the majority of those you mentioned were young, and that category is know for handling the virus well, so one needs to exclude all them. Of the remaining, you mention very few adults and of them one of them had difficult symptoms. Isn't that pretty much on par with the hospitalization and death rate patterns? I personally know 3 + 1 likely COVID cases. Ages were 59, 58, 69 (while cancer treatments), 70. All of them had essentially no symptoms (3 had headaches for a day, and cancer patient had "a little phlegm") and were mainly caught due to precautionary testing. So, do I believe it is possible that was COVID? Sure. If it were my family, I would be asking if antibody testing could help figure that out.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2020
    Bump. But I have a question. I learned a few weeks ago that a high school student in the city of Boerne, Texas, which is 1 county north of San Antonio, used the 2019 Thanksgiving holiday to visit her family in China. School resumed in Texas on December 2, 2019. That student participated in a school dance class. Every student in the dance class became infected with a mystery illness in the first week of December, 2019. One of those students was a young cousin of mine. His parents became ill with the mystery illness. His father was particularly badly affected. He visited hospitals in Boerne and Midland seeking help with his difficulty breathing. The family visited the grandparents in Alpine, TX for Christmas, 2019. My elderly cousin knew that her son-in-law was not fully recovered while staying in her home for a week. Neither my elderly cousin nor her even more elderly husband became ill. By the 1st of January, 2020, the outbreak in Boerne had ended without spreading to San Antonio, Midland, or Alpine. This event never has been described as covid-19 because the forensic investigators have never asked if that virus had been in America before March. Why, if it was here in all parts of the U.S. in December of 2019, did it only start killing people in March?

One epidemiologist described it as being like flicking lit matches on a pile of kindling. The first 9 matches might just flame out before anything catches fire and spreads. I did not know about PA water treatment, but I did read that several places in Europe routinely save water samples, and several in fact did find evidence of isolated covid presence in December water samples, too. The epidemiologist described it as a matter of circumstance rather than biology. If the infected person stayed home and away from others, it didn't "catch fire." If the infected person went to a dance class or choir practice or crowded bus it did.

By the way, we have similar stomping grounds. My family hails from the Brewster-Presidio-Davis county area, Alpine being the closest town.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    yes, agreed, snowflake

"Why, if it was here in all parts of the U.S. in December of 2019, did it only start killing people in March? "

False premise - I dont think it was anywhere before the first official cases - doesnt make sense that your one group would have it randomly and then it just peter out with nobody taking any precautions, in a way it hasnt anywhere else.

I remember an article last spring about a British citizen (journalist if I recall) living in China and last fall he came down with an illness, right around Thanksgiving (end Nov). Symptoms were a completePf match to the not yet known COVID and he had a very rough time of it. The doctors at the time took and kept a blood sample. He recovered, and then 3 weeks or a month later, he ends up getting informed that what he had had was COVID. That lines up with first cases being announced. I firmly believe that there were cases prior to the ones identified as such. JMO

Of course, he was in China, around the time the disease is believed to have begun spreading among humans there, so this is a completely different set of facts from those presented by JeromeBarry1
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have chemical sensitivity and my KN-95 mask made me feel ill, especially when it was brand new. For anyone else like this who is not in high risk situations, I recommend these, which are made from organic cotton. The cream is undyed. Latex free elastic is available.

https://decentexposures.com/Cushie/Face-mask

Cotton is apparently a superior choice to synthetic fabrics because the fibers are rougher and thus trap more particles. I would have thought the synthetics were better because you can get a tighter weave but not so.

There's an advantage to masks made of polypropylene (I think) because the material generates some sort of static charge that repels particles (but I can't remember where I read that).