Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Weight has been trending down a bit with the exception of this week since it was my 10 year anniversary. My wife and i finally had a getaway without kids. Ended up getting an ocean front room at a Marriott.

Still on track to hit 163 by Halloween... Might even beat it since i am at 166 today. And then I have a goal by Thanksgiving to be around 157.

PT is going well. I squatted (front squat) for the first time in over a year. Did 165x6x4 with no pain. And did 155 reverse lunge with no back pain. So huge progress. Going to spend the rest of the year focusing on improving balance and working glute medius. This is the focus that my PT wants me to take until they are as strong as my glute max.

So if you have any good good abduction, adduction and glute moves please post them. Right now i focus on four direction cable lifts, side and reverse lunge, lunge, and hip thrusters.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I think you recomped a bit. You look slightly leaner and 2lbs heavier.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member

My heart flew bc of this ❤️
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

So if you have any good good abduction, adduction and glute moves please post them. Right now i focus on four direction cable lifts, side and reverse lunge, lunge, and hip thrusters.

I do copenhagen plank holds for time, heavyish kettlebell swings, crab walks with hip band/resistance band.

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member

I agree, looking great @alexmose!
  • alexmose
    steveko89 wrote: »

Thank you my friends ❤️ I’m just going to do PHUL and do 100 cal surplus for a Meso and see where that takes me. I’ll likely go back to full body 3/day week after that. I kinda enjoyed it! Very tough workouts
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member

I completely agree with this. I think there's no doubt looking at your back pics @alexmose that at the very least you've added muscle in the rhomboids and lats. Looking awesome!
  • steveko89
    alexmose wrote: »

Thank you my friends ❤️ I’m just going to do PHUL and do 100 cal surplus for a Meso and see where that takes me. I’ll likely go back to full body 3/day week after that. I kinda enjoyed it! Very tough workouts

I really like PHUL on paper but have struggled to execute it properly; I struggle to get up (literally and figuratively) for legs only days and have found I'm way more consistent with full-body programs.
  • alexmose
    GaryRuns wrote: »

I completely agree with this. I think there's no doubt looking at your back pics @alexmose that at the very least you've added muscle in the rhomboids and lats. Looking awesome!

This and what @steveko89 says is making me rethink my approach and perhaps i will run MAPS Anabolic again. Last 3 months I did it in maintenance. Perhaps we will see more now that I have added more calories!

One thing about MAPS is the trigger sessions: 1-3 10 min circuits a day, bodyweight/bands only. I think it has really made the difference. I also like that I only have to go to the gym one less day per week. I have to say, it is a bit light on legs, which made me want to switch to PHUL in the first place, but perhaps i just switch out some shoulder work (since I respond well) or add in more legs later in the day? We shall see how consistent I am with PHUL for now, but yea, 4/days week in the gym plus a day where I teach Bodypump is a lot. I was able to stay consistent with it last year.
  • steveko89

This and what @steveko89 says is making me rethink my approach and perhaps i will run MAPS Anabolic again. Last 3 months I did it in maintenance. Perhaps we will see more now that I have added more calories!

One thing about MAPS is the trigger sessions: 1-3 10 min circuits a day, bodyweight/bands only. I think it has really made the difference. I also like that I only have to go to the gym one less day per week. I have to say, it is a bit light on legs, which made me want to switch to PHUL in the first place, but perhaps i just switch out some shoulder work (since I respond well) or add in more legs later in the day? We shall see how consistent I am with PHUL for now, but yea, 4/days week in the gym plus a day where I teach Bodypump is a lot. I was able to stay consistent with it last year.

Don't get me wrong, I regard PHUL very highly as a well-designed program. I've simply turned into too much of a bro to drag my *kitten* out of bed for legs-only workouts.
  • steveko89
    edited October 2020
    As for me, looking at my weight trend chart 8/12 was basically an inflection point and I've gained just over 2 lbs in those 60 days whilst averaging ~+125 cal/day. The good news is the skulpt says it's mostly muscle (which seems suspect given my training age) but I'm going to just keep it going as a lean bulk and see how things go.

46axd8m0r532.png
    *8/12 italicized data is inferred for my starting reference point
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2020

Don't get me wrong, I regard PHUL very highly as a well-designed program. I've simply turned into too much of a bro to drag my *kitten* out of bed for legs-only workouts.

You and I definitely could not train together, lol. I hate full body programs. I thrive on Upper Lower or PHAT style workouts. In fact, since my back is making really good progress, I just restarted my own designed U/L/U/L/U program; I had to self design based on injury and the rules my gym is currently following.

So I ran PHUL for about 6 months. It's been one of the programs (outside of PHAT) that i enjoyed the most and many of my strength gains and the foundation of that strength came from that program (at full volume). And honestly, it's one of the key programs I recommend people follow if they want a 4 day.
  • steveko89
    psuLemon wrote: »

You and I definitely could not train together, lol. I hate full body programs. I thrive on Upper Lower or PHAT style workouts. In fact, since my back is making really good progress, I just restarted my own designed U/L/U/L/U program; I had to self design based on injury and the rules my gym is currently following.

So I ran PHUL for about 6 months. It's been one of the programs (outside of PHAT) that i enjoyed the most and many of my strength gains and the foundation of that strength came from that program (at full volume). And honestly, it's one of the key programs I recommend people follow if they want a 4 day.

Likewise I ran PHUL for a while and made really good progress when I was on the fringe between novice and intermediate. Now that strength gains come a little slower the lower days just excite me less. I did cobble together a Push/Pull hybrid with PHUL rep range principles and that worked well for a good while as well but being 4 day instead of 5 allowed me to put too much variation in my sleep schedule; making myself go to bed and get up at the same times everyday works best and having a rest or "cardio" day just meant I'd stay up too late and throw my routine off.
  • psuLemon
    So its been 6 weeks and outside of water weight changes, i have not lost any weight. Considering saying screw it and go back to Keto since its almost winter and i won't miss fruit as much. Oh the struggle bus to get super lean.
  • alexmose
    2 weeks into bulking and i have been quite stressed from work and then my cycle on top meant 2 weeks of seeing really really high numbers. Staying the course and wondering if it’ll go down. Maybe the creatine and lack of sleep are kicking in.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    2 weeks into bulking and i have been quite stressed from work and then my cycle on top meant 2 weeks of seeing really really high numbers. Staying the course and wondering if it’ll go down. Maybe the creatine and lack of sleep are kicking in.

Oh yea that could all definitely affect the scale.

How long have you been taking creatine? Do you find it helps? I always think about taking it then I'm all, nah. I know it's cheap but I just don't know if I can handle the bloat and fullness that supposedly comes with.

Anyways.. keep at it, try not to get too focused on scale. You can do this :)
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Is "bulking" still a thing? Ever heard of just building muscle in a healthy way? Gains are lost during the cutting phase unless there's some "special" help involved. It's best to maintain the same body fat and gain muscle by increasing protein intake and training hard. The healthy way.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sal10851 wrote: »
    Is "bulking" still a thing? Ever heard of just building muscle in a healthy way? Gains are lost during the cutting phase unless there's some "special" help involved. It's best to maintain the same body fat and gain muscle by increasing protein intake and training hard. The healthy way.

For me bulking is gaining weight. It's not necessarily what you are probably referring to as a "dirty bulk". I don't let my bodyfat get too high or gain too much so I still stay within a healthy range.

And I disagree that it's best to maintain the same bodyfat to gain muscle. While that can work for some people it's not optimal for people that want to gain more significant mass and get heavier. Especially if they are very lean to start. What about ultra lean bodybuilders who compete? What about almost underweight people looking to gain?

Also I do not lose my gains during the cutting phase since I do it properly. I have built my body from the ground up with bulk cycles and I am very proud of what I have accomplished.

If you have your own muscle building progress, even without bulking, feel free to share it here.
  • steveko89
    sardelsa wrote: »

Oh yea that could all definitely affect the scale.

How long have you been taking creatine? Do you find it helps? I always think about taking it then I'm all, nah. I know it's cheap but I just don't know if I can handle the bloat and fullness that supposedly comes with.

Anyways.. keep at it, try not to get too focused on scale. You can do this :)

I would suspect that dosing is the key factor to bloating and fullness. There's some old guidance out there about a loading phase (20-25g/day for a week) which I could see lead to those ill-effects. Most maintenance dosing recommendations are 2-3g/day but the creatine monohydrate I've always gotten comes with a 5g scoop. For an n=1 I do a 5 g scoop with my preworkout (which has another 2g in it) and another 5g post workout for 12g/day total at nominally 175 lbs and don't feel any ill effects from bloating or fullness but do think it helps with overall work capacity and recovery, especially going up from 7g to 12g.