Resistance Training/ Building Muscle

I was hoping someone could direct me to some exercise routines that can help to build muscle. I had neck surgery four months ago and on/off back problems (spinal stenosis; some days are better than others) so i haven’t been able to lift weights like I was prior.

I do the treadmill 3-6 days a week, but would like to add to my weekly exercise.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Sydney Cummings, Caroline Girvin, and Millionaire Hoy have good programs on YouTube.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Thank you!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    It would be helpful if you listed the equipment you have access to.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Progressive wt lifting (combined w/a high protein, high cal diet) is the only exercise you can do that will allow you to build muscle to any significant degree but with your physical limitations (particularly the spinal stenosis wc I also suffer from) you are limited in how much lifting you can do safely w/o risking injury.

Doing excessive cardio will burn cals that is contrary to the goal of building muscle, if you are not consuming enough cals to retain the muscle that you already have because if no fat is available, ur body will burn muscle instead.

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I like using Les Mills on Demand from home. There is a weightlifting program on that, which is very good.
  • Nysportsred
    Thank you everyone!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Agree and in addition what, if any, restrictions your medical team has put on you.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I would suggest bodyweight exercises to start out. It is difficult to lift too heavy when using your own body weight. This is a great channel for starting out.

https://youtu.be/KzuUs3c-Ajg
  • Nysportsred
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Agree and in addition what, if any, restrictions your medical team has put on you.

I went for an appointment yesterday and asked some questions based on this thread. The way he was talking was basically he was allowing me those workouts where its like “if you don’t have weights, use bottles of water”. I can do most bodyweight exercises, but no free weights or using the weights machine I have because he said the way you sit on those puts additional strain in the neck/shoulders.”

He actually suggested kickboxing snd treadmill each week alternating which week i do more of one than the other. He said it will help the flexibility of the back and keep the muscles impacted in my neck loose.

This is from the doctor. Still waiting on insurance to approve PT.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    If you start with body weight...have you tried yoga or piyo?