Herniated Disc

Hiya! Just over 3 months ago I suffered from a herniated disc in my back! Its healing very well and quickly overall following some intense treatment from the day it "popped" and thankfully I'm no longer in any pain and not restricted in movement now, but I've been told it can take up to a year to fully heal so I need to continue to be careful!
Just wondering if theres anyone else out there who has suffered from this or knows anyone as I'm trying to be very good but wishing I could know what workouts I can do safely that wont set back the healing process...
Glad of any help and support and new connections
Thanks
Gav

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    If I were you I'd ask for a referral to a physical therapist and get a routine of exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your spine.

Really no one on the internet should or could help you in any way that is safe due to the complexity and varying levels of this type of injury.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2020
    The range of disc herniations I've suffered in last 35 years have been from didn't even know I had one in my T-spine until it showed up on a MRI scan to completely disabling L-spine herniation last year with unbelievable pain levels that codeine, gas & air, tramadol and even morphine barely touched the pain....

There simply isn't any way that strangers can tell you better than your Physio and you yourself finding out how you react to progressively rehabbing your particular injury.

Best of luck.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I agree with those above who recommended a Physical Therapist.

Do NOT rely on a personal trainer as most are not trained to manage these types of injuries.
  • BoxingDayBoy
    BoxingDayBoy Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks all for your help and support, much appreciated
  • kermitch
    kermitch Posts: 53 Member
    Ouch!
    I hurt my back many years ago and now have two "dehydrated discs" - for a plain english term. The best help for me was my chiropractor whom I went to regularly. Kept that up for a while, but kind of got tired of paying out so haven't been for sometime. By taking care always with how I sit and move, it has helped a lot.
    However, lately it hasn't been great, so probably need to go back and get some manipulation done.
    All the best to you for your future care of your back.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2020
    I've had a few over the years but never knew until later in life when a MRI for a totally different health issue diagnosised I had them. Most people in their 40s have experienced at least one and would never of knownif it weren't for a similar situation.

If I were to guess, I assume I had one by the symptoms but was never confirmed because I wasn't interested in doing anything invasive about it. So so just rehabbed by following my normal training programming. I think the symptoms subsided in less than two weeks as I trained. Of course this included utilizing proper load management and auto regulation within my training.

There was a meta analtsis I believe both Jordan and Austin from BBM recited that suggested quite soundly that people who experienced a bulging or hernitrained dics not only healed faster but were less likely to experience a reoccurrence. So sound training is a good thing as in life in general.

You make an appointment and talk to either Miles or Ray at BBM if you'd like. I believe they still do free consultations and you can get better advice than us here.

• happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    I have had a few herniated discs. I also recommend seeing a physical therapist. In addition, making sure to use proper form with lifting is essential to a healthy back.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    No one can give you medical advice, but I had a herniated disc (thoracic) early last year. It took six to eight months to be out of daily pain. Getting back to my "normal" regime has been a challenge. At 55, soon to be 56, I've also lost around 1/3 of my power (based on rowing Watts).

I think finding a PT would be great. Have them help you with figuring out exercises to strengthen your back and try to make it stronger to prevent future issues. I hate PT, but I've found a routine where I work it in religiously. I've incorporated a lot of planks, Cobra and Superman yoga poses every day I don't lift (and lifting is still very light and careful right now). I still like to row but the thoracic injury doesn't care for it as much, but I've gotten back to it. As long as I keep up with my rehab, it's been tolerable.

Personally, I think that my office chair had a lot to do with the back. I've improved my at home office ergonomics and pay much greater attention to that. Getting a PT (Physical Therapist) to help you would be a great start and put you on the right track.