Relay For Life!

cbrick143
cbrick143 Posts: 26 Member
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to see if there is anyone on MFP who is familiar with Relay For Life? It is an all-night community event to raise cancer awareness, honor cancer Survivors, and remember loved ones lost to cancer. All proceeds from the event go to the American Cancer Society to support and fund cancer research, education, advocacy, and patient services!

I run the planning committee for the Relay For Life of Greece, NY, and it is absolutely amazing to see the support from the local community! Our event isn't until June of 2012, but we've already had people sign up and start there teams online! www.RelayForLife.org/GreeceNY

If you have ever participated in a Relay For Life or were on the planning committee, where have you done it?

Have a great day!

Gary

Replies

• Hi Gary~ My name is Gerri Wazny and I have been involved in The Relay For Life of Midland Michigan. I was the Team D chair the past 4 years and I am teh event Chair for 2012!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Never helped but have gone and walked around the track in Utah while my son and husband played in a band for entertainment. Someday I'd like to have a team and officially participate! Good work!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Yes! I am about to start my first year on the planning committee for Clark County, AR. I was a team captain for my workplace last year and have been involved in RFL in some way for about 4 years now. I think I am going to be in charge of luminarias for our Relay.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Funny to see Midland, Michigan on here. My son went on an LDS mission to Michigan and we have a mutual friend that lives in Midland:)
  • Good for you! I'm a cancer survivor and have many family members who have battled cancer, so I've been a long-time supporter or Relay. I served on the planning committee for Relay here in Union County (Marysville, Ohio) ac ouple years ago and was head of the Luminary committee. Tons of work but so worth it!:happy:
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    I've been captain of a Relay for Life team since around 2004 in Thibodaux, La and served on the committee in 2008, 2009 & 2010 I believe. I've moved to Orange, Tx, in 2010 but still am on a team for Thibodaux's Relay. I plan on attending the Orange, Tx one in May! =D I <3 Relay!
  • Hi Gary.
    i lost an aunt in breast cancer.
    My mom had a lumpectomy when i was little.
    I had a lumpectomy twice since 2005.
    also had aspiration last year.
    Im scared of S#!t on having another lumpectomy much worse to have it considered malignant.

What you're doing is great. I hope you reach awareness nationwide and help a lot of people on the way.

If you know any activities here in Maryland, please let me know, i'd love to join.

Have a great day Gary.
  • cbrick143
    It's great to see that there are so many Relay supporters here on MFP! Cancer is a disease that has touched many people I know, so I strive to help fight back against it, and hopefully the American Cancer Society will one day find a cure for cancer!

Keep up the great work, everyone!
  • cbrick143
    KarenLipana:

There are over 5,000 Relay For Life events throughout the country! I'm sure there are lots in Maryland - check out www.RelayForLife.org, scroll over "MY EVENT" at the top and click on "Find an Event." Then, enter your zipcode in the search box to search for the Relay For Life event closest to you!

There are so many ways you can get involved! You can start a team and participate in the event. You can join the planning committee to help organize and put together the event. Or, you volunteer the day of the event.

Relay For Life events usually have a special tent or area setup for cancer Survivors as well, and the Survivors usually kick-off the Relay with a Survivor Lap! (at least they do in the Relays in my region in Western NY).

Be sure to check it out! I don't think I've ever met someone who did a Relay and said they didn't enjoy it! :)