Eating healthy, exercising and still fat!

tabilw
tabilw Posts: 50 Member
So I'm really on the struggle bus lately. I feel like my diet has been a lot better, and I'm exercising 5 days a week including cardio 3 days a week and strength training twice a week. I'm really watching my calorie intake..... But I'm not making any headway! I don't really look at the scale as much to determine if I'm making progress, I really look more at the way my body looks and how my clothes fit. But I feel like nothing is changing, in fact I feel like things are getting worse! My belly feels fat!! Anyone else dealing with this? any suggestions? Any diets or programs that have worked really well for you? HELP!!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    How long have you been following your diet and exercise program?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    As everyone else has said: WEIGH AND LOG YOUR FOOD.

You can’t out exercise your kitchen. You have 0 data to determine if you are eating in a deficit. Eating in a deficit is how you lose weight. You can do so with any number of diets or with what you already eat normally, just in smaller portions. Either way, you’ll never progress if you aren’t in a deficit.
  • TurquiseTurtle7
    TurquiseTurtle7 Posts: 16 Member
    Sorry you're having a tough time, tabilw. I know how frustrating it can be to feel like you're doing all the things and yet weight loss has ground to a halt. Some suggestions:

Try eating low calorie prepackaged meals for awhile, so you'll know exactly how many calories you're taking in for every meal.

Weigh yourself regularly, take your measurements, and take pictures. Even if you don't feel like you're losing weight, you may surprise yourself.

In other words, track everything. That way, you'll have a sense of what's going wrong and how to correct it.

Somebody once said, "If you're stuck, change something." Simple advice. It just takes experimenting to figure out which tweaks make the difference for you. Eat the same thing for lunch every day? Try eating a different lunch for a couple weeks and see what happens. Do the same workout every morning? Try trading your usual workout for a different one for a week or two and see if that budges the numbers on the scale. Sometimes even stuff we think *should* be working isn't, so we need to try something different.

Also, be patient with yourself. You may just be a few simple changes away from starting things moving in the right direction.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 347 Member
    I had similar struggles for the past few years and it took me a while to figure it out. It's possible you have an unhealthy gut. An inflamed gut can cause a myriad of issues: poor nutrient intake, chronic fatigue, extra inches around the middle due to the inflammation, and extra stress which leads to another host of problems by throwing off your hormone levels.

I've been doing an anti-inflammatory/elimination diet since End of March, beging of April. During the time I stuck to the diet I lost weight while maintaining a calorie deficit. Then the last two weeks of September I relaxed my standards a bit and started eating things that were not on my diet for me and the pounds started creeping back on. My gut began to show expansion too (inflammation). I felt a little fluffy. I recommitted back again to my diet for me on October 1st. The extra fluff disappeared and I ended up losing a few more pounds.

If you're not already doing an anti-inflammatory diet I would suggest giving that a try first. If you don't notice a difference after the first few weeks then try starting an elimination diet for 6-8 weeks to allow the gut to fully heal. Following that, reintroduce foods very slowly and gradually to see if you have a reaction to any foods. When I started my elimination diet the first thing that happened was that I lost 4.5 inches off my waist. After continuing my elimination diet I now know that I can't eat gluten unless I want my abdomen to swell making me look like I'm pregnant.

Constantly irritating the intestines with foods that you are sensitive to can lead to poor health. It would be a good idea to rule out whether you have any food sensitivities as a possible culprit contributing to your extra weight. If it's not, I would recommend seeking some professional help through your doctor. It might be good to have a second pair of eyes take a look at your habits and what you're eating. Your doctor can also test you for hormone levels and nutrient deficiencies you might have.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2020
    couple thoughts, the best way to burn calories is not to put them in your mouth hole in the first place, ha ha you sound like me before I figured this out, I had the work hard play hard mentality, and that's not the right way to go about it, so I recommend fasting, nothing crazy nothing extreme, assuming you are healthy otherwise, pic a day, a busy schedule day works great because events will keep you distracted, wake up in the morning and weigh yourself, write down that number and do not eat or drink anything but water all day, drink as much water as you like especially when you feel hungry, if it's meal time like lunch time or dinner time and you feel that urge to eat, write down the time the urge starts and play a little game with yourself, say ok hunger how long will you last, and go do something, read a book, surf the web, and I bet you will forget to write down when the hunger ended, ha ha

the next day weigh yourself not when you wake up but right before you have your first meal, don't skip any meals if you usually eat breakfast fine, if you always skip breakfast then treat this as any other day, wait till lunch to weigh yourself and eat lunch

I do not mean to micromanage you at all, I am just sharing what has worked for me, fasting clears your mind as well as your belly and sort of reboots your system, it also gives you a clean canvas sort of speak, and makes you go hmmm do I really want peanut M&Ms to be the first thing I shove in my mouth after not eating for say 30 hours

and you also will find out how much weight you can actually loose max in a days time, it's just a good way to gauge yourself, hope this helps
  • tabilw
    tabilw Posts: 50 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    How long have you been following your diet and exercise program?

About 6 weeks
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Like others I would recommend weighing your food and also weighing yourself. Sometimes you don't feel or look like you've lost any weight but actually you have.
  • reedbryant
    reedbryant Posts: 17 Member
    edited October 2020
    Incorporate strength training with weights... and eat MORE. I made the same mistake of cutting my calories back too much, so I just became skinny fat. Still fluffy around the mid section.. You need to get some muscle under the fat and you'll start to look more toned and firm. Don't worry about the number on the scale. You might actually gain some, but you'll look better overall. Again, eat plenty of protein and carbs and lift as heavy as you can. As a woman, you won't get big and bulky. It is very difficult for a woman to get huge unless they're on steroids. You'll just get really fit.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    reedbryant wrote: »
    It's impossible for a woman unless you're on steroids. You'll just get really fit.

So all women body builders are on steroids then??? interesting....
  • reedbryant
    edited October 2020
    I will correct myself. Body builders are eating huge amounts of calories. If you stay at maintenance calories or a deficit, you won't get huge. More of the toned look you want.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    reedbryant wrote: »
    I will correct myself. Body builders are eating huge amounts of calories. If you stay at maintenance calories or a deficit, you won't get bigger.

Sure you can if you eat enough protein and follow a progressive lifting program. Not saying it’s easy or that you’ll get a ton bigger, but to say it won’t happen at all is simply nonsense. The article below talks about how to do both simultaneously. Of course it’s easier to build muscle in a surplus, but that doesn’t mean it is IMPOSSIBLE in a deficit.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/lose-weight-and-build-muscle-or-do-one-then-the-other/
  • reedbryant
    You are right @Dogmom1978 . My point is to lift weights and not only rely on cardio and cutting calories to the extreme.