What book are you reading?

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Derpes wrote: »
    Salem’s Lot by Stephen King

My favorite Stephen King book!

I'm reading "Final Girls" by Riley Sager. (Really enjoyed his novel "Lock Every Door.")
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    xgfggtoszai0.jpeg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    bearzzly wrote: »
    Currently reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I only regret that I didn't read it earlier, what an amazing book!

his reckoners series ( I think it was a trilogy) is fun too

will add this to my list :)
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    s1uon91r0m8c.jpeg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32522527-the-reason-you-re-alive

One of the most interesting, funny, different books I've read in a long time. Usually I'm a James Patterson/Jodi Picoult/Harlan Coben kind of reader but this book was excellent. Very blunt and honest character.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Michael Ian Black's "A Better Man"...disappointing only because he's my favorite comedian and it wasn't comedic. As a meditation on fatherhood and masculinity, it was a good read.

• honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    I keep buying books, they just stack up.
    I have been unable to barely start a book much less finish it but I miss reading so much!
    I’ll just keep at it until one grabs me long enough to break the cycle. :)

I read the first novel, The Rook and it was a fun, quirky, fast read.
    2179fz803o4x.jpeg
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    edited October 2020
    Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell. Meh.

A better book I read recently is Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. If you like books about genetically engineered super-intelligent spiders who convey complex information and memories through the exchange of sperm then this is the book for you.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Fast. Feast. Repeat, by Gin Stephens. I'm curious about IF, so I thought this would be an ok place to start.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Oh, Ranger! - stories from park rangers across the NPS. Not just stories of dumb tourists being dumb, but more about their self discoveries working for the Parks, some of the ins and outs of acquiring pieces for museums and sites across the country as well as some humorous stories of encounters they've had over the years.

OhRanger_book_art.jpg
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited October 2020
    ^^That sounds really cool! Would make a great gift for a couple people on my list. Thanks for sharing! eta: Do you recommend, @KosmosKitten ?

do11e70vlqwt.png

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Why read books when you can just watch television??

It’s unrational!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

A better book I read recently is Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. If you like books about genetically engineered super-intelligent spiders who convey complex information and memories through the exchange of sperm then this is the book for you.

This book is exceptional in every regard.

The sequel, Children of Ruin is also very, very good.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    ^^That sounds really cool! Would make a great gift for a couple people on my list. Thanks for sharing! eta: Do you recommend, @KosmosKitten ?

do11e70vlqwt.png

I'm enjoying it. I found it at King's Canyon or Denali (one of the two) when I visited, but pretty sure you can nab copies of it on Amazon. The original had a preface and was compiled by Horace Albright's daughter (Albright is credited as the founder of the group of men and women we now know as "park rangers").

If you have friends who would enjoy that book, they'd probably enjoy "Wild Muir" as well.
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Educated was one of my favorite books this year as well as Where The Crawdads Sing. Educated is a tough read but where it goes is really the message....your beginning does not define your ending. You can make of your life what you choose!!! Tara is an inspiration! Having nothing, coming from crazy parents and yet finding a way toward educating herself to the extent she did, is why i believe there are no excuses for staying in the miserable situation you are in. If you want change bad enough, you’ll find a way! On a side note, it’s so fascinating to me how some people who come from disastrous, miserable situations tend to be the ones who are most grateful and willing to do the exhausting work to create the lives of their dreams instead of boohooing about how unfair it all is and complaining about the unfair advantage of others.
  • steph6556
    ^^^^In other words, I think you’ll really like Educated if you want to be inspired by the life of a really hard worker😊
  • I am reading Journey to Ixtlan, the lessons of Don Juan.

And I just picked up a new stack from the used book store!!!
  • steph6556
    ^^^me likey
  • Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    A loving on the edge series. There are 9 books and they are wonderfully hot and fun to read!