Keto Diet Newbie

Hi! I just started a Keto Diet because I'm pre-diabetic. Since I started logging the food I eat, I find that I am only eating about 1200 calories but still going over my limit of 25 carbs per day. I am not trying to lose weight. Anyone have any ideas of how to increase my calories without increasing my carbs???

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,868 Member
    If you go into goals you can set it to whatever you want(on the homepage) ... I am type 2 diabetic and was on keto ... I upped my carbs to 42g ...I still eat a lot of keto recipes though
  • dmcgranahan
    dmcgranahan Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks, Megan!
    Keeping to 25 carbs is really hard. Since I don't want to loose weight I put my goal calories to 2000. I just have not found the right combination of foods to eat. I think LOL
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Hi! I just started a Keto Diet because I'm pre-diabetic. Since I started logging the food I eat, I find that I am only eating about 1200 calories but still going over my limit of 25 carbs per day. I am not trying to lose weight. Anyone have any ideas of how to increase my calories without increasing my carbs???
    Thanks, Megan!
    Keeping to 25 carbs is really hard. Since I don't want to loose weight I put my goal calories to 2000. I just have not found the right combination of foods to eat. I think LOL

Many diabetics can eat moderate carbs and still manage their blood sugar. Keto is pretty extreme. Did your doctor recommend keto, or refer you to a registered dietician?

Instead of starting at the most extreme number.....how about taking the settings My Fitness Pal gave you and lowering the carbs by say 10% (for starters). Then increase your fat and protein %'s to make up for the 10% you took away. After getting used to those numbers, then lower your carb % again. Keep lowering it until you get to a place you can live with long term.
  • mk820820
    mk820820 Posts: 49 Member
    bacon! 2 good yogurt, any meat, love celery with peanut butter! salami, extra sharp cheddar cheese.
    Stay away from grains. Eat veggies grown above ground. ooooh, avocado is really good fat. If you like to cook there are tons of keto recipes.
    Do you count net carbs?
    You subtract the fiber from the carbs. You subtract added sugars as well, but I don't subtract the sugar. Usually end up with 2-7 gr sugar a day. I usually have about 8-14 carbs a day.
    MFP has a bunch of food in their data base with net carbs. Just put the words net carbs at the end of the food you are trying to log. You can do the premium MFP (paid edition) and they have a whole data base with net carbs, but I don't find it necessary.
    A friend makes me chocolate avocado mousse. yummy!
    I think keto is great. It's not to hard. If I have a carb attack (very rare) I have 2 triscuits with PB, that is enough.
    The longer I've done it the less I miss carbs / sugar.
    Good luck! I feed my wife keto sometimes but I stopped because she is on oral meds for her diabetes and her blood sugar will drop to 55-60. She has stopped 1 med. I think you will be able to take care of your diabetic tendencies..
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    mk820820 wrote: »
    bacon! 2 good yogurt, any meat, love celery with peanut butter! salami, extra sharp cheddar cheese.
    Stay away from grains. Eat veggies grown above ground. ooooh, avocado is really good fat. If you like to cook there are tons of keto recipes.
    Do you count net carbs?
    You subtract the fiber from the carbs. You subtract added sugars as well, but I don't subtract the sugar. Usually end up with 2-7 gr sugar a day. I usually have about 8-14 carbs a day.
    MFP has a bunch of food in their data base with net carbs. Just put the words net carbs at the end of the food you are trying to log. You can do the premium MFP (paid edition) and they have a whole data base with net carbs, but I don't find it necessary.
    A friend makes me chocolate avocado mousse. yummy!
    I think keto is great. It's not to hard. If I have a carb attack (very rare) I have 2 triscuits with PB, that is enough.
    The longer I've done it the less I miss carbs / sugar.
    Good luck! I feed my wife keto sometimes but I stopped because she is on oral meds for her diabetes and her blood sugar will drop to 55-60. She has stopped 1 med. I think you will be able to take care of your diabetic tendencies..

No. You can subtract half of the sugar alcohols (ingredients ending in TOL like malitol and erythritol) but not real sugars. Real sugars are carbs and ALWAYS count towards your carb goals.
  • mk820820
    mk820820 Posts: 49 Member
    I thought the added sugars were all the TOLs. Thanks for the correction, I don't want to give anyone the wrong info. I don't subtract out the sugars at all personally.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2020
    Anyone have any ideas of how to increase my calories without increasing my carbs???

As long as you stick to meat, cheese, eggs and selected veggies, you're guaranteed to stay within 20 g carbs a day.

https://i.imgur.com/pBZKfPR.jpg

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
  • dmcgranahan
    dmcgranahan Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I am learning things every day. I've been reading a book called "Grain Brain". Anyone hear of it???
  • HealthyHottie73
    HealthyHottie73 Posts: 54 Member

• HealthyHottie73
    HealthyHottie73 Posts: 54 Member
    Check out Ally Mcwowy on youtube. She is the reason I went keto. I binge watched all 100+ of her YouTubes and learned so much. She was 320lbs and now 150lbs. She is very realistic and not trying to sell anything. She just posts tips and meals and excellent ideas. I am seeking more Keto friends. Please send me a request to be my MyFitnessPal friend, thanks
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I am learning things every day. I've been reading a book called "Grain Brain". Anyone hear of it???

Sorry, but that book is total scientific woo.