Stopping emotional eating/binging. Will the urge to binge and sadness go away soon?

I have been using large quantities of junk food to comfort myself pretty much my entire life, and I've been trying desperately to STOP doing that.

the thing is, food comforts me and I still have that stress there that caused me to eat, so when I cut out the emotional eating I feel worse. I'm trying to replace the food with other coping mechanisms but I still have this terribly awful URGE to eat huge quantities of junk, and a strange sadness like I feel I dont know what to do with myself if I'm not eating.

Anyone dealt with this and found success? How long does it take for that extreme urge to eat and sadness at losing that coping method subside? *Does* it subside? Is there anything that helped you overcome this? I REALLY want to be rid of this constant urge to eat and all this extra weight.

I want to lose 70-80 pounds so I'm trying to keep my calories 1600 or below. Right now I am 203lbs and 5'1.

Thank you SO MUCH to anyone who takes the time to read this and/or respond. I'm sorry if this is too long or weird!

Replies

• NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    I'm sure that you have heard this before but you need to redirect from food to something else that will bring you joy. Easier said than done but give it some thought. Drawing? Coloring? Painting? Journaling? Reading? Good luck and don't give up. It takes a while to start seeing the results of your work but once you do it will all be worth it.
  • This is also a lifelong problem for me. I just restarted therapy to try and address it. Some people have had success with other more immediate actions, but not me. When I’m stressed I eat. No amount of waiting 10minutes, journaling, going for a walk or talking to a friend works for me. I need to address the root of the problem.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    A huge problem with a lack of proper nutrition is that it affects our mental and physical health. Nutrient barren junk food does not provide the nutrients needed to sustain mental health. This leads to hormonal imbalances that greatly affects our well being. There is a reason why it's called junk food. Eat like crap you will feel like crap.
  • long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 179 Member
    I hear you. I struggle with this and not much has helped. Reading and going for a walk have on occasion.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Do the inner work it’s still a little struggle at times but it’s nearly gone for me but I had to really feel nd out my core issues and what triggered me to binge eat and to stop doing it was hard but I switched to a treat if I’d been good all week ( not food related) and changing my coping skills and behaviors this took many years
  • fat2thingirl
    fat2thingirl Posts: 41 Member
    This is also a lifelong problem for me. I just restarted therapy to try and address it. Some people have had success with other more immediate actions, but not me. When I’m stressed I eat. No amount of waiting 10minutes, journaling, going for a walk or talking to a friend works for me. I need to address the root of the problem.

im sorry you struggle with this too, and everyone else who commented!! i feel the same. it's really difficult.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Many have your problem. I think you should look into counseling to reach the root of your problem. Then you will be able to address weight loss. It's very hard to go forward without both. Good luck, and you can reach your goals.