Kaiser Weight Management

So in September I began a weight management program through Kaiser. It's a 30 week program and the first 15 weeks consists of 960 calories a day and only having the Optifast shakes, bars and soups provided. Surprisingly it has been very easy to stick with as I have felt surprisingly full. However the repetitive monotony of the exact same thing every single day is getting to me. Add in the fact that my choices are even more limited because I LOATHE the soups and it makes me a little crazy. Despite the boredom of just shakes and bars it's working so I'm sticking with it. I just finished week 3 and I'm down 18 pounds. I realize the first few weeks are a lot of water weight so I'm not expecting that rate of weight loss to keep up but the doctor said it would be possible to lose close to 100 pounds during the 30 weeks if I stick with program and incorporate exercise.

Where I have the concern with that kind of rapid weight loss is, will it all come back? Kaiser said this program is designed to help you develop healthy eating habits and that part of the reasoning behind only having the Optifast is to break you of the habit of treating food as a reward system but so far the classes haven't really taught anything, they're more about motivation. Has anyone done this program or something similar and did you manage to keep the weight off?

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    This sounds like a terrible plan. Or maybe it's for people who are morbidly obese? I have Kaiser and I am surprised that they would endorse something like this. 100 lbs in 30 weeks will take considerable commitment, once past the prepared food stage. Good luck!
  • always4my2kids
    always4my2kids Posts: 23 Member
    I have Kaiser insurance and they stink! I don't know about the program you are on but I'd say after 30 weeks of eating prepared foods are they will no longer be available - plus depriving yourself for 30 weeks of real foods - you'll have to be VERY strong willed to not go off the rails once you start eating real food again. Good luck!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    So in September I began a weight management program through Kaiser. It's a 30 week program and the first 15 weeks consists of 960 calories a day and only having the Optifast shakes, bars and soups provided. Surprisingly it has been very easy to stick with as I have felt surprisingly full. However the repetitive monotony of the exact same thing every single day is getting to me. Add in the fact that my choices are even more limited because I LOATHE the soups and it makes me a little crazy. Despite the boredom of just shakes and bars it's working so I'm sticking with it. I just finished week 3 and I'm down 18 pounds. I realize the first few weeks are a lot of water weight so I'm not expecting that rate of weight loss to keep up but the doctor said it would be possible to lose close to 100 pounds during the 30 weeks if I stick with program and incorporate exercise.

Where I have the concern with that kind of rapid weight loss is, will it all come back? Kaiser said this program is designed to help you develop healthy eating habits and that part of the reasoning behind only having the Optifast is to break you of the habit of treating food as a reward system but so far the classes haven't really taught anything, they're more about motivation. Has anyone done this program or something similar and did you manage to keep the weight off?

The weight will most likely come back. I don’t see how this plan teaches you to eat any better. What happens when the plan is over? You haven’t learned to track any foods. Once you return to eating what you ate before and at the same amounts, you’ll gain weight.

You need a program that actually helps you learn about portion control. MFP does that pretty well by allowing you to choose your goal per week and estimating your calories. Then you weigh and measure your food and eat at a deficit while learning what portion control looks like.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    I bless Kaiser often for introducing me to yoga via free classes, but this really sounds totally out of the norm for them.

A quick read shows that it’s (depending on source) a medically supervised VLCD by Nestlé.

It looks like the first twelve week “intense” phase is for people with serious weight issues, then there appears to be a loosening of restrictions during a tiered series of transition phases- unless the physician deems that you should repeat the intense phase after a short break.

If it were me, knowing what I know now, having simply done CICO, I would read MFP forums thoroughly and educate yourself, then come up with a list of informed questions for your doctor. Why does he recommend VLCD? Is this a quick weight loss in preparation for bariatric or weight loss surgery? What does she expect you to get out of this plan? Do they have a long term plan for you? Can they refer you to a dietician (supremely helpful to me, btw). Would they be amenable to you setting a plan via MFP for X amount of pounds to lose per week? Do they recommend exercise in conjunction with the weight loss plan? Can they refer you to a sports therapist (probably not the right term) who can aid you in setting up an exercise plan suitable for your size and abilities? At the very least, can they find you something more palatable within the plan?

I wouldn’t sit back and take it. I’d be proactive and absolutely showering them with questions.

OTOH, you also need to invest yourself in your own weight loss. Suffering weeks of this to fall back into bad habits is a waste of time money and effort.

For me, my days of “yes sir, no ma’am” with doctors are over. They should be my partner in health care, but I am #1 in line responsible for myself.
  • moriaheisenhower
    moriaheisenhower Posts: 4 Member
    The program is for people with 40 or more pounds to lose. The first 15 weeks are just the prepared foods but the last half you slowly start incorporating regular food back into your diet. Much like Weight Watchers they have a Lifestyle Maintenance program for free after you complete the paid 30 week program. I'm hoping that the 2nd part of this after the rapid weight loss phase in the beginning will focus more on the psychology of it all.

I know what I need to do to be healthy. Calories in vs calories out isn't a hard concept. But some of us have unhealthy relationships with food for various reasons and I'm hoping that this program will deal with that aspect of it. Sure I can lose a ton of weight if all I do is drink shakes and have a less than 1000 calories a day intake. But if I can't deal with the root of the issue it's not gonna do me a whole lot of good long term which is why I was wondering if anyone has done this program or something similar and of it worked long term.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I did an 800 calorie diet and lost 126lbs in 8 months. I gained some of it back as I didn't learn to eat at first. I never got back up to my highest when i started the program. I relost the few pounds that i regained. Ive learned how to fuel my body and workouts. I lifts weights and eat 2400 caloires a day. It is very helpful for getting the weight off, and can give you the chance to clean our your pantry and get used to tracking calories.
  • moriaheisenhower
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I did an 800 calorie diet and lost 126lbs in 8 months. I gained some of it back as I didn't learn to eat at first. I never got back up to my highest when i started the program. I relost the few pounds that i regained. Ive learned how to fuel my body and workouts. I lifts weights and eat 2400 caloires a day. It is very helpful for getting the weight off, and can give you the chance to clean our your pantry and get used to tracking calories.

Thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. It makes me feel more hopeful about the long term.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member

@Fflpnari how did you learn to get used to tracking calories since your post starts out with how you gained some back as you DIDNT learn how to track calories?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

Thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. It makes me feel more hopeful about the long term.

Lol folks only hear what they wanna hear. :noway:
  • moriaheisenhower
    [/quote]

Lol folks only hear what they wanna hear. :noway:[/quote]

Well rude stranger, no I don't hear only what I want to hear. I do find it helpful that someone has gone through something similar to what I'm going through and was able to be successful. What I find unhelpful are the people who want to *kitten* on me for trying to be proactive in my own health. The people doing that are the same kind of people who *kitten* all over you for gaining weight in the first place. Apparently it's only ok to lose weight of you're doing it the way that certain people think is "right".

I realize that this program isn't a long term solution which is why I asked if someone else who had gone through something similar was able to maintain the weight loss afterwards. If you haven't gone through this and you chime in with comments like yours then, yes, I'm going to disregard them because they don't apply to my current situation.

People act like I'm starving myself or partaking in some sort of unhealthy crash diet. I'm medically monitored. I had to get a physical, blood work and an EKG before I was even allowed to start the program. I have to have monthly check-in with the physician and monthly lab work. The food provided is designed to deliver the necessary nutrients the body needs. The program encourages exercise as well. If at any point your weight loss is too drastic or they feel you aren't getting the nutrition that you need they give you more food.

Most of the comments on here have just been negative towards the program itself andI have absolutely no issues with the program. My only concern is being able to maintain a healthy relationship with food after it's over.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    @moriaheisenhower

I know it must be frustrating that people are negative to a program that is helping you right now. - Personally, the program sounds like it would not work for me (I'd be unable to stick to something where I have so little choice), but that does not mean it would not work for you.

I just wonder: Is there anything in the soups, nitrition-wise that you would be missing by only eating the other foods? If you are in any way unsure this may be something to talk with your doctor about.

I have no experience with a program like yours, but I would imagine its long-term success would depend more on how well the later phase helps you prepare for eating normal food than on how fast the first phase let's you lose the weight. Also, on what support you have when you exit the diet and have to start maintaining.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well rude stranger, no I don't hear only what I want to hear. I do find it helpful that someone has gone through something similar to what I'm going through and was able to be successful. What I find unhelpful are the people who want to *kitten* on me for trying to be proactive in my own health. The people doing that are the same kind of people who *kitten* all over you for gaining weight in the first place. Apparently it's only ok to lose weight of you're doing it the way that certain people think is "right".

I realize that this program isn't a long term solution which is why I asked if someone else who had gone through something similar was able to maintain the weight loss afterwards. If you haven't gone through this and you chime in with comments like yours then, yes, I'm going to disregard them because they don't apply to my current situation.

People act like I'm starving myself or partaking in some sort of unhealthy crash diet. I'm medically monitored. I had to get a physical, blood work and an EKG before I was even allowed to start the program. I have to have monthly check-in with the physician and monthly lab work. The food provided is designed to deliver the necessary nutrients the body needs. The program encourages exercise as well. If at any point your weight loss is too drastic or they feel you aren't getting the nutrition that you need they give you more food.

Most of the comments on here have just been negative towards the program itself andI have absolutely no issues with the program. My only concern is being able to maintain a healthy relationship with food after it's over.

Lmfao... do you. 🤷‍♀️