WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    edited October 2020
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Pat in OH- Thanks for the compliments on the boys and the ship! Let your DD know that this year's egg carton spaceship was made of 380 egg cartons all hot glued together.
    Mary- Good to see you!
    Allie- Ugh! I don't know how you do it. I would def be mentally strangling Jean, right now.
    Green houses- Anyone know where I can buy a green thumb? I would love to be able to grow things. My home is where plants come to die.
    Shepherd's/Cottage Pies- I have never been a big fan of these. I do make chicken pot pies for Tim, sometimes. I make mine with less gravy than the store bought ones. Always chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, and a bit of cheese.

For anyone interested: Last year's spaceship lasted three weeks; at which time I took it apart in sections and gave it to another childcare provider whose kids played with it for three or four weeks THEN it went onto another provider. This year's spaceship lasted a total of a day and a half! Three of my kiddos dismantled it (while pretending to "repair" it). They asked me to fix it, as soon as a large, 20 carton section came off. Nope. Eight hours assembling a spaceship was enough time for me. So...at the end of day two (Thursday night), I took the ship down and cleaned up. The difference in how kids play is amazing. (Last year, I had four kids ages four and five to lead the play; this year the oldest is 3).

Getting shopping, cooking, and some outdoor/fall clean up done this weekend. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I totally understand what you mean about some kids being so much more distructive-the triplets broke more toys just them in the time I had them than all the kids combined over the past 30+ yrs. The hard baby books, hard plastic toys, even a few metal cars they some how broke.

I guess I inherited my green thumb from my parents but only outside- before I did so-so with inside plants, some did ok, others, well, not so much. Now, I can't have any inside because one of my cats loves to eat any plant, even chews on fake ones if he sees them.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Happy Birthday, Johnny!

Kelly. If you want a faux green thumb like mine, you buy/start/accept way too many plants and then quickly dispose of all the plants that die so there is no evidence.

>>>

I have happy financial news! I am going to pay off the rest of our mortgage on Wednesday! I can hardly believe it.

Of course, my parents never even had a mortgage, they saved their money until they had enough to buy the house of their dreams,and then bought it from the original owner with cash. Five years later they had saved enough to remodel it. I lived in that house with my family until I was 18.

>>>

Here is my greenhouse, stuffed full because last night was cold; this weekend I hope to empty the greenhouse, secure the frame to the deck for wind protection, put down some pavers as a “floor”, and move the elephant ears to the garage where they will go dormant, then rearrange the rest of the plants back into the greenhouse. I have to work several hours at my telemedicine job, so not sure I’ll have time, but I’m going to try.
    tj2inllrhexx.jpeg
    ipw0i28ewqvt.jpeg

Karen in Virginia

Great news on paying off the mortgage- such a great feeling. We paid ours off the year before husband retired. Because it was paid off, he was able to do early retirement(at 52) and then go back part time, on his terms.
    Love your little green house
    Debbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a Cool It Off DVD 9 stretching). The plan for tomorrow is to do a 5 Day Slim Down DVD (I think this is a Leslie Sansone DVD)

Katla and Heather – we have two cleaning ladies…their names are Left and Right…lol

I don’t have a garden. You name it…I kill it. Except for weeds

Kim – “Live and learn…and die a fool”. I’m sorry that happened to you about the panels

[

Michele NC

no matter where I am, I HAVE to have my garden. They have always been small except for at my last house but there, the ground wasn't very good. Here, everything is in pots except for my two raised beds. Husband complains about the water bill every summer. Finally last year I told him I didn't want to hear it- he spends more money going out to lunch,coffee, beers,etc with his friends in a week or two than I "waste" on water for my garden. I don't shop like he does. That is one of my very few hobbies. Still complains about it but I don't care.
    yep- same cleaning ladies here too. The only thing I don't do is vacuum and that is because husband is obsessed with vacuuming

Debbie
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,931 Member
    ☘️ page 50
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Evening ladies
    Went out with my old coworkers today.. went to olde mystic village,lots of little shops..i had a sweatshirt on but was chilled to the bone,and still chilly now..
    Yes I am hoping this will be it for weekend help.. and get back to some normalcy..
    Yes it is Jeans problem, but not going to let Faith suffer for her daughters incompetence..
    Im gonna snuggle up with my little guy and enjoy hopefully a good nights sleep.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    KJThank you. DD had shown the spaceship to several
    teachers she works with......so advised them to start saving!
    Sorry it was torn up,after all that work. Pat in Oh
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Michele.. I was starting to get kind of excited about a mortgage burning celebration but then I read this on Wikipedia and it took the wind out of my sails:

"Even when a mortgage is satisfied (“paid off”) at the conclusion of payments, throwing a party to celebrate is now generally considered gauche since the traditional paying off of a mortgage is no longer a standard rite of passage [source needed] It is now seen as bragging about one’s secure financial condition [source needed]. Modern advice columnists and etiquette experts generally advise against having mortgage burning parties attended by anyone other than immediate family.”

:/:/:/

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Katla - I suggested that he log his food. I don’t think it’s lactose though as he drinks milk every single night before going to bed and he eats cheese regularly. It seems to be after a big meal.

The first episode was after our daughters wedding, his Mother had been here and cooked a lot of richer foods than I do. Plus he drank at the wedding which he very rarely does. I’m trying to remember the time before this, I remember it but not the exact time. This time was after our Thanksgiving dinner. Each time he claims he’s not constipated, just very bloated and feels like trapped gas. Magnesium Citrate has been the only thing that helps each time though.

I went out and bought new furnace filters, humidifier filter and light bulbs for the new lights that should be delivered very soon.
    I also found some smart plugs on sale so bought them to go with the Google Home nest I won a month ago.
    So far it’s just been a digital photo frame.

I need to do some cleaning but I find it difficult with him lying on the couch. 🤨

Tracey in Edmonton

If it is just bloating and not "twisted bowel" or something more serious, I've found a brisk walk is better than lying down. It seems to get things moving.

And it's peanuts that set me off in that way. Really painful. I avoid peanuts and anything related to them.

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Thanks Machka - I’ll try to think back if there is something in the three instances that were common.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    L
  • deadenddiva
    deadenddiva Posts: 50 Member
    I'm 67 and just had a hemi-thyroidectomy. Came back to MyFittnessPal after2 years to find that I've maintained the same 200 pounds. With half a thyroid to power my metabolism I've got to do better or I risk having to take levothyroxin. My goal is to drop 50 pounds and cut in half the diabetes and hypertension meds I am currently taking, and to avoid any further medications. Covid19 put a cramp on my walking, but I am outfitting my old 4runner into a micro-camper with commode so I can get out to less populated places and avoid public restrooms. Anyone out there who's had thyroid removed? Anyone else converting an old SUV to micro-camper to have a covid19 free outdoor zone to travel in?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Karen, the biggest celebration of paying off your mortgage is the daily and nightly sense of security for having done so, along with the knowledge that you've been sane and prudent in your financial affairs. If you want to have a party, then have one just to celebrate your relationship with your friends. I hate parties so I wouldn't have one, but if you like parties, then have one.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Allie – you are a good person to go out of your way that way you do and put other’s above yourself

Karen VA – No party? I guess some people would view it as bragging, I’d view it more as “proud of you” I’m sorry for you.

deadenddiva welcome!

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    UPDATED stats for the day:

Walk w/family- 1 hr 30min 46sec, 3.40ap, 89ahr, 107mhr, 5.26mi= 453cal
    Strava app = 638c
    Spin bike- 45min, 118ahr, 148mhr, 15.12mi= 512c
    Ride home 2 dinner- 15min, 8.7amph, 109ahr, 140mhr, 2.16mi= 68c
    Strava app = 40c
    Ride dinner 2 home- 18.14min, 8.4amph, 93ahr, 114mhr, 2.56mi= 77c
    Strava app = 51c

Total cal 1110
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Pip - Taking a walk with your family is wonderful. WTG!!! :heart:

Michele - I’m now my own cleaning lady, too. It turns out that I don’t mind a bit. :star:

Snowflake - Milk has been a problem for me in the past, but now that it is available lactose free, life is easier. My milk carton says lactose free right on it. I found that cheddar cheese and cottage cheese never bothered by lactose intolerance. I believe that the process of milk turning into cheese solves that problem for me. :bigsmile:

DH spent a good long while talking with our son about setting up things for his new computer. I know it pleased him to get guildance. Apple wanted me to make a pot full of passwords and I want only one. I do not want to use a thesaurus nor an abacus to figure out what the password of the day might be. Let there be only 1.

Katla in misty NW Oregon
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 839 Member
    Katla, do not want to use a thesaurus nor an abacus to figure out what the password of the day might be. Let there be only 1. Amen to that!
    Kim, I'm so sorry that the making of the panels has turned into such an ordeal, but happy that you have good friends who will help you out with them. I'm afraid I would be pretty much useless..... On the other hand, now that you have some good hands-on experience, you could possibly and more confidently bid on more projects like this one (always add 10%-15% for just in case!).
    Heather, Happy Birthday to Johnny! He certainly looks in his element with the grands! Once again I have to say how happy I am for you two that you moved to Hove. Despite the pandemic, the family dynamic certainly seems to be thriving!
    Kelly, too bad the space ship "died" so quickly! Such a difference a few years at that stage can make....
    Pip, don't know if you've got the ants under control or not, but here's a few things that I learned. 1. If you wash where the "trail" of ants was with water/bleach solution it will destroy their pheromone trail which will cause them to get lost and hopefully not end up in your space. 2. A small dish of cornmeal where they can get at it will kill them. Seems they can't digest it, they will take it back to their nest too, so problem really solved! The best part about the cornmeal is even if Yogi gets into it, it won't hurt him.
    Karen, no mortgage burning party eh? Well that kinda sucks! I have to admit, it was just immediate family when we had ours, but we did have one! lol We all went out for dinner and then came home and burned copies of the mortgage in our fireplace. Even the kids put a few pages in! (they were 10 and 13).
    As usual, I'm sure there were more comments I wanted to make, but this is all that is sticking in my brain tonight. Work has been busy the last few days, which is good in that the days go much faster, but then I'm pooped when I get home!
    I too have issues with lactose. I don't think I'm intolerant, but I'm definitely sensitive. I do use a lactaid treated milk, but like Katla, cheese doesn't bother me. Neither does yogurt. I can eat ice cream, but do need to be mindful of how much. Well, I should be mindful anyway, as it is a little higher in calories than I need, but.... :p
    I am also our housecleaner. I think I prefer it that way. I had abdominal surgery several years ago and was not allowed to do any heavy lifting etc, so I had someone coming in. She was very nice, but instead of vacuuming the kitchen floor, she just wanted to sweep it. I had two boys, 10 and 13 and we had 2 or 3 cats. All of the floors needed vacuuming! She also dumped the floor washwater down the toilet, which was fine, but one day she missed and didn't realize it, their was water on the floor between the toilet and tub. I didn't notice it til I went to turn on the faucet in the tub at which point I slipped in the water and, well, it almost got real ugly. I was able to stay on my feet, but I certainly had a word with her. After a few months, she was going on holidays or something and we decided to mutually part ways. Now that I'm not working full time, I don't really mind doing my own housecleaning, physically I'm still able, so I figure I'll do it while I can and I'll just have to deal with it when the time comes that I can't do it on my own. And if I don't get everything done in one day, I can always finish it the next! Hubby takes care of the floors on the lower level, I do upstairs and the main level.
    So, this ended up being longer than I thought it would! lol Now I must head for the shower and bed!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island