What's on your mind?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I'm trying really hard not to hold a single person pity party over here, but I have this sinking feeling (and have had it for a long time) that I will always be overweight/fat. I've been overweight since I was 10 and no amount of proper diet, exercise or calorie counting has ever gotten me back to a "normal BMI" range. Once I was close (maybe 5 pounds away from the highest in my height category), but that was back when I was severely depressed, never ate, was still getting the boost from breastfeeding and walked for 3 hours daily (because I was depressed).

I have been tested a few times over the year for thyroid and myriad other issues. So far, outside of vitamin deficiencies and being anemic, I'm okay on that front. But I am just soooooo tired of putting in the effort of tracking, trying to eat better (but tasty) foods, sticking to my guns and goals and never seeing results. The best I can do is maintain whatever weight I happen to be at. Depression drags me down sometimes, making it really difficult to stick with anything long term (especially when I get no perceivable benefits).

I keep picking myself up and trying again, but I honestly don't know why. Nothing I have tried so far has helped. At all. This just feels like such a fruitless effort, especially compared to everyone here who seems to be successful in their goals.

I'm tracking again if only so I don't gain more weight. But honestly? I don't see a point and I'm really, really tired (exhausted really) from doing this with no discernible results.. for YEARS.

Meanwhile...

I think you're a frickin' warrior for maintaining! THAT'S the hard part (in my mind anyway).

The maintenance (or smaller weight fluctuations) that you've managed to keep going - "for YEARS" - will be more helpful to your long-term health than if you had done nothing.

Health results, oftentimes, cannot be seen or measured (unless you go to a doctor for bloodwork or other diagnostics). I applaud you for sticking in there despite the mental and physical challenges.

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,080 Member
    t1w5a11dijes.jpeg

Big virtual hug. I admire the fact that you haven’t given up. Here’s a sample pic of my wife’s current meal plan. This dietician is amazing! I know your stats are likely different but just wanted to throw this out there in case it can be of any benefit. Good luck!!

Ignore all the spatter of berry juice 🤷‍♂️

Hey, no. Anything I can glean from other people's success that doesn't have me killing myself and successfully gets me to alter negative habits is useful. Thank you for sharing. The breakfast options are pretty similar to what I already eat, but I can easily tweak. The lunch option and dinner options are a lot more simplified (I love to make new things for everyone to try in this household and sadly, I know that they are caloric, so I usually eat a small lunch or no lunch to combat that).

I can give this a try, tweaking it to my caloric needs.

This plan though, is it five mini meals? Or three and you just choose from meal one or meal two under certain categories? Five meals will take some getting used to. I'm very much a three meals and maybe a snack kinda person. Ingrained habit, mostly. I'm guessing meal 2 and meal 4 are actually more like snacks, but healthy options, right?

Yes, these are 5 meals. The first meal is supposed to be consumed within an hour of waking.
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    edited October 2020
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    You know there is a high probability that you’re living in a safe area when you can show up with 8 individual cups of coffee and all the fixings, then hand them over to the hotel staff and tell them you appreciate their hard work and their responses are immediate appreciation and not questioning the motive and safety.

You won’t find that in places like NYC. I know first hand.

NYC leaves all types of impressions on those that visit. I know people that fall in love with it and cant get enough of it, and i know people that would rather die than go back. I have experienced the whole spectrum of what the city offers. From having grown up in one of the worst projects in the city, to finding my way out into the civilized culture it also offers. To say you wont find something in NYC is naive.....on any given day you can find absolutely anything the world offers, good and bad. The diversity of having 9 million different minds in such a small area makes it just impossible to pigeonhole.

• Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    You know there is a high probability that you’re living in a safe area when you can show up with 8 individual cups of coffee and all the fixings, then hand them over to the hotel staff and tell them you appreciate their hard work and their responses are immediate appreciation and not questioning the motive and safety.

You won’t find that in places like NYC. I know first hand.

NYC leaves all types of impressions on those that visit. I know people that fall in love with it and cant get enough of it, and i know people that would rather die than go back. I have experienced the whole spectrum of what the city offers. From having grown up in one of the worst projects in the city, to finding my way out into the civilized culture it also offers. To say you wont find something in NYC is naive.....on any given day you can find absolutely anything the world offers, good and bad. The diversity of having 9 million different minds in such a small area makes it just impossible to pigeonhole.

Who said I didn’t live there at some time?

Nobody
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,080 Member
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    t1w5a11dijes.jpeg

Big virtual hug. I admire the fact that you haven’t given up. Here’s a sample pic of my wife’s current meal plan. This dietician is amazing! I know your stats are likely different but just wanted to throw this out there in case it can be of any benefit. Good luck!!

Ignore all the spatter of berry juice 🤷‍♂️

As you know I've been going to the gym at least 6 times a week but my diet is horrible. I've been looking for a meal plan so even though it wasn't meant for me I think I can utilize this example in the near future.

I'm in the same boat.
    Thanks for sharing this Chris.

Of course Jenni !
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I'm trying really hard not to hold a single person pity party over here, but I have this sinking feeling (and have had it for a long time) that I will always be overweight/fat. I've been overweight since I was 10 and no amount of proper diet, exercise or calorie counting has ever gotten me back to a "normal BMI" range. Once I was close (maybe 5 pounds away from the highest in my height category), but that was back when I was severely depressed, never ate, was still getting the boost from breastfeeding and walked for 3 hours daily (because I was depressed).

I have been tested a few times over the year for thyroid and myriad other issues. So far, outside of vitamin deficiencies and being anemic, I'm okay on that front. But I am just soooooo tired of putting in the effort of tracking, trying to eat better (but tasty) foods, sticking to my guns and goals and never seeing results. The best I can do is maintain whatever weight I happen to be at. Depression drags me down sometimes, making it really difficult to stick with anything long term (especially when I get no perceivable benefits).

I keep picking myself up and trying again, but I honestly don't know why. Nothing I have tried so far has helped. At all. This just feels like such a fruitless effort, especially compared to everyone here who seems to be successful in their goals.

I'm tracking again if only so I don't gain more weight. But honestly? I don't see a point and I'm really, really tired (exhausted really) from doing this with no discernible results.. for YEARS.

Meanwhile...

I think you're a frickin' warrior for maintaining! THAT'S the hard part (in my mind anyway).

The maintenance (or smaller weight fluctuations) that you've managed to keep going - "for YEARS" - will be more helpful to your long-term health than if you had done nothing.

Health results, oftentimes, cannot be seen or measured (unless you go to a doctor for bloodwork or other diagnostics). I applaud you for sticking in there despite the mental and physical challenges.

I sure hope that's the case. Maintaining at this weight is mostly easy to do (it's still 70lbs from what I have as a goal though). I worry about how hard it will be to maintain at a lower weight, though. That seems like such a challenge without starving oneself or doing copious amounts of exercise. :grimace:

Some of y'all make it look easy though, lol.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    steph6556 wrote: »
    Why would someone take an honest compliment the wrong way? You tell them they have a likable face and they respond with a thank you with a question mark at the end and an emoji like this 😶

Wtf? Why wouldn’t someone just say thank you and move on. Why is everyone such a smart *kitten* now?

Maybe your compliment confused them and they didn't know how to honestly respond? I dunno.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @Revolu7 That was as inspiring as all get out. So much of this stuff is mental. For me, it's all mental.
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    @KosmosKitten, thanks for calming me down! I just don’t get ppl sometimes. I was brought up to say thank you when someone says something nice to you. I guess I’ve got some learning to do about compliments in this new age!!!😟
  • Diatonic12
    edited October 2020
    We're watching Dumb and Dumber because just when I thought we couldn't get any dumber we totally redeem ourselves. :p
  • Diatonic12
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47c595e6de2f2d7c95d2bd450b9a98bc7b0d174624&rid=giphy.gif
  • Diatonic12
    edited October 2020
    @steph6556 Have you had any random thoughts, lately. What's goin' on over there in your corner of the world? Are the fires all out.

• steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    @Diatonic12, the “big concern” of the moment is my dog chewin his left back paws like they’re made of liver and all things beefy and delicious! The paw is in his mouth like a chicken bone and the vet appointment isn’t till Monday. They’re gonna be hairless by then! He doesn’t seem to mind that they’re attached to him! What’s new over there? You’ve always got somethin good brewing over there. How’s Maw?
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Some people juggle geese.
  • Diatonic12
    edited October 2020
    @steph6556

Maw went to the beauty shop to have her hair fixed. She wore her protective gear but it worked out just fine. She looks great and she feels so much better.

Sounds like your dog has some internal pain. My vet is a horsewoman that goes back for generations. All of her kin have been around since the 1800's. She could look your dog over and figure it right out. She's well-respected. This tiny woman handles horses, mules and all matter of livestock. Cats, dogs, birds.... I hope your vet can figure this out. The food thing, how does your dog like the new food? My vet says whatever you do don't you dare give your dog that ole'R.R. brand from the big box store. I don't. You'll have to let us know how it all turns out. You should hear her voice, it's cowboy and western all the way.

The fires must be settling down because we don't see anything in the atmosphere. It's hunting season around here and everyone is off doing that. We had 70 mph hour winds yesterday and snow this morning. The first snowfall of the year.

We try to cue up some movies that make us laugh. It's good medicine. Too many of the older ones are dropping like flies. We especially like the part about john denver. That man caused more pesky tourists to come out this way more than anything else. Everyone wants to be on a Rocky Mountain High.

Keep your head UP. Maw says stay sweet and act pretty. We know you will. o:)