Cardio vs Weights/Lifting

There is a lot of mix reviews on cardio vs lifting. I want to lose 45 pounds. Which is more sufficient?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    For weight loss you just need to eat less than you burn. Weight training has changed my body. I fit in smaller clothes but actually weigh more than when I did just diet/cardio.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Cardio for heart health and fitness, strength training for body composition, which are great things to be doing whether you are losing weight or not.

It's part of the life-lesson that MyFitnessPal is trying to teach you by intending you don't use exercise calorie burns for weight loss.

The answer is diet for weight loss and exercise of both types for health.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Control your weight with your calorie intake . Lift weights to help insure you loose fat & keep your muscle
  • There is a lot of mix reviews on cardio vs lifting. I want to lose 45 pounds. Which is more sufficient?

Calorie deficit for weight loss. You only need a deficit to lose weight. Exercise is good for you but not essential to lose weight.

Lifting burns fewer calories than cardio. But it will help you preserve muscle while you lose the 45 pounds. If you have time I would do 3 sessions a week of lifting on an established training programme - not one you made up yourself. And then do a couple of sessions of cardio. This is general advice though as I’ve no idea if you have any health conditions, injuries or your history of exercising or what you like doing.