Fight or Flight: A Reason to Lose Weight

sal10851
sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
edited August 2020 in Motivation and Support
As our country continues to head in the wrong direction regarding the obesity problem I would like to give you some food for thought.

Let's say you are presented with a situation where your only options were to fight or run but you were to fat and out of shape to do either thing?

What if your kid gets beaten up at school but they are too fat and out of shape to run or fight back?

What if a shooter comes to a school but half of the kids are too fat to run?

If I were to be put in a situation where I would have to either run or fight for my life would I be able to do either thing?

Don't mean to be grim but it's our reality. Food for thought people.

Replies

• sal10851
    I don't think anyone can outrun a gun

Id rather get shot and make it a quick death than to die slowly of obesity and obesity related illnesses. That's a scary death which is why I'm not obese anymore. I know the prison of fat and what it can do.
  • sal10851
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've heard 2 people who were obese dying due to their weight while working. One was an obese male where there was a fire below, so they were asked to climb (no elevator use) up 4 floors to help with smoke inhalation. The male couldn't make it the second flight and had a heart attack.
    The 2nd was an obese officer in Virginia (both happened in VA) where he tried to chase down a suspect and also had a heart attack and died. They've now implemented physical fitness tests yearly for officers that they have to pass or be on hiatus on the force.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I used to be morbidly obese with a BMI of 42. I couldn't do girl pushups much less a regular push up. I would be embarrassed to say this but it's more embarrassing not doing something about it. I dropped to 223 pounds and I'm currently working on getting down to a healthy BMI. I don't want to tell my life's story but I was diabetic, hypertensive, and I was starting to show heart problems at 30 years old. I weighed 310 pounds at my heaviest. I was ashamed of my size and I couldn't go up a flight of stairs without dying for breath. I decided to make a true change when I was uncomfortable trying to get comfortable. I was sweating and snoring without even being asleep.

I've been dieting for a little over a year now. In that time I gained some level of fitness but I'm still working on it. I do some form of cardio everyday and resistance training every other day. I actually enjoy working out because I'm getting better at it. If I can take control and make better choices I think everyone can make an effort to better themselves. Children pick up the habits of their parents. If the parent is a couch potato then the potato chips are not far behind.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I've often thought about what you are saying and it's essentially true. But what about old people and handicapped? They are in the same boat and can't change it. I think you've made a personal decision to change your life and I applaud that, but trying to spread fear to push other people into change will not end well. If they haven't changed lifestyle after the COVID scare, well there's not much hope.
  • sal10851
    I've often thought about what you are saying and it's essentially true. But what about old people and handicapped? They are in the same boat and can't change it. I think you've made a personal decision to change your life and I applaud that, but trying to spread fear to push other people into change will not end well. If they haven't changed lifestyle after the COVID scare, well there's not much hope.

Yeah I know my words were a bit harsh but when I posted the original thread I was thinking about the children in my family which are obese and no one in my immediate family is at a healthy weight. I've been projecting my new passion for health at fitness and I took it a little overboard. Change just can't be forced so I'm going to lead by example and hope my changes can inspire people to work on themselves. I never had that example growing up so I thought weight gain was as normal as getting old. I'm always evolving and discovering things about myself as I work towards my health goals.