Vertical Leg Press?

My son is looking at a vertical leg press for his garage gym (he already has a squat rack). Experiences good or bad? Thanks much.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited October 2020
    If he has the space for it, a vertical press machine would provide a nice complement to doing back squats by providing a safer way to isolate the glutes, inner thighs, hio flexors and glutes.

Seldom see a vertical press machine in gyms anymore, mainly angled leg presses, but I think the vertical is better because it's smaller, cheaper and offers less mechanical advantage that can fool you into believing that you are stronger than you actually are.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    sounds like a very specialized piece of equipment in other words good for one thing, why doesn't he do forward, reverse, and side to side lunges, there are so many ways to beat up your legs it's not even funny, even just using your own body weight - not being rude I just hate expensive towel racks

tell him he can get one after he does this for 45 minutes

qbs1x2t489eh.jpg
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    If he has the space for it, a vertical press machine would provide a nice complement to doing back squats by providing a safer way to isolate the glutes, inner thighs, hio flexors and glutes.

Seldom see a vertical press machine in gyms anymore, mainly angled leg presses, but I think the vertical is better because it's smaller, cheaper and offers less mechanical advantage that can fool you into believing that you are stronger than you actually are.

Thanks for your input. I have seen a some articles speaking highly of the vertical press, neither one of us has seen one in the flesh. He has a garage gym so space available but yet doesn't want the sized and expense of a angled press.

He's going to check a few gyms in his area to see if he can find one and try before buying.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited October 2020
    muszyngr wrote: »
    sounds like a very specialized piece of equipment in other words good for one thing, why doesn't he do forward, reverse, and side to side lunges, there are so many ways to beat up your legs it's not even funny, even just using your own body weight - not being rude I just hate expensive towel racks

qbs1x2t489eh.jpg

Thanks for your input. My son is in his late 20's has been lifting since freshman year in HS, managed 3 gyms and worked as a trainer so he is aware of various ways to work legs. He would like to add a leg press to his options but doesn't want the space and cost of an angled press machine. Just has never used a vertical press.

He works out 5 days a week in his garage gym so not much worry anything he has will become an expensive towel rack.

• Theoldguy1

qbs1x2t489eh.jpg

Also doing a wall sit for 45 minutes like doing a plank for an extended period of time is more of a party trick as opposed to meaningful exercise.

• muszyngr wrote: »

qbs1x2t489eh.jpg

Lol
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I have an angled leg press that I love, but yes, it certainly was more expensive than a vertical one.

If cost is an issue, then vertical is a better bet. Check Facebook marketplace and Craig’s list in your area for deals on a used one.
  • sgt1372
    edited October 2020
    Here's a link to a vertical press sold by Titan Fitness for just $350. If I had room for it in my garage gym, I'd probably buy one.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/lower-body/vertical-leg-press/400573.html

Excellent reviews. I've purchased a variety of things from TF and have no complaints.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Totally anecdotal but most of the quad
    Tears and especially double tears I’ve seen and heard about have been due to vertical presses. Obviously if heavy weights aren’t involved then it’s probably a mute point
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Here's a link to a vertical press sold by Titan Fitness for just $350. If I had room for it in my garage gym, I'd probably buy one.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/lower-body/vertical-leg-press/400573.html

Excellent reviews. I've purchased a variety of things from TF and have no complaints.

I have been contemplating one in the future.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2020

qbs1x2t489eh.jpg

No. I can think of a million things better to do for 45 minutes.

Also one doesn't need to "beat up legs" to dose proper stimulus.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I'm not knocking leg presses. They can be quite useful within good programming. Though 400lbs load limit of the specific one linked isn't a very wise investment if you all ready have a squat rack.
  • Theoldguy1

Thanks that's the exact model he's looking at.
  • Theoldguy1
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm not knocking leg presses. They can be quite useful within good programming. Though 400lbs load limit of the specific one linked isn't a very wise investment if you all ready have a squat rack.

I have never used a vertical leg press but a quick search of several models out there (including one priced 2X the Titan linked above) show 400 lbs as load limit. I'm sure is has to do with the leverage of a vertical press vs an angled one.
  • watts6151
    You can load silly amounts of weight onto
    Vertical leg presses compared to 45 degree or especially horizontal machines
  • sgt1372
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Totally anecdotal but most of the quad
    Tears and especially double tears I’ve seen and heard about have been due to vertical presses. Obviously if heavy weights aren’t involved then it’s probably a mute point

Do you gave verification for this claim?

Don't see how'd that be possible since there are so few vertical presses available in gyms. The last one I saw/used was about 40 yrs ago in an "old school" Gold's gym.

My guess is that most injuries are sustsined on angled leg press machines where the impulse to overload the machine is very high.

Personally, I see no reason to load a vertical press w/more weight than you can squat wc is about all you should be able to press.

Not so on an angle leg press where I've seen guys try to press 400+ lbs when they can barebly squat 200. That how injuries happen
  • watts6151
    Do you understand the term anecdotal?
    Ive seen it happen twice , and heard of it lot more, pre internet obviously. In 25 years of training in gyms, 19 years as a qualified Pti and with a sports science degree I feel qualified to give my opinion.

I squat over 600 but I easily
    leg press over 1000 ( machine dependant)
    Last time I vertical squated would of been around 2009. I prefer horizontal presses as I can only move 405 for working sets

Can you please tell me your personal experiences and qualifications
  • sgt1372
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Do you understand the term anecdotal?
    Ive seen it happen twice , and heard of it lot more, pre internet obviously. In 25 years of training in gyms, 19 years as a qualified Pti and with a sports science degree I feel qualified to give my opinion.

I squat over 600 but I easily
    leg press over 1000 ( machine dependant)
    Last time I vertical squated would of been around 2009. I prefer horizontal presses as I can only move 405 for working sets

Can you please tell me your personal experiences and qualifications

I undersrand the word "ancedotal" completely but, w/o verification, the ckaim is meaningless

You're the one claiming that vertical press user results in injury. So, the burden on you is to prove that claim

Aassuming it's true, the fact that you can squat 600 and load 1k on an angled press but only 400 on a vertical press makes my point.

People try to press much more wt on an angled press becausevof the mechanical advantage wc is more likely to result in injury.
  • watts6151
    Please supply your experience and education as requested

My vertical press even back then was well over 1100, like I said 25 years of lifting
    Registered pti for decades and a degree in sports Science

What exactly is your point ??