Coming back from Corona

HilTri
HilTri Posts: 378 Member
edited October 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
It has been a month since I have been down w corona. I thought it was overtraining and was so surprised to learn that I tested positive. It was hard for me to listen to my body and trust it when it was telling me that something wasn’t right.

About two weeks ago I was feeling better so I did a 30 min ride, I was very tired afterwards. Despite that I bumped it up to an hour and my symptoms that hadn’t gone away totally came back with a vengeance. I quit working out again and just got retested yesterday and I am waiting for the results. I am not going to really workout hard until I know my results.

I am worried that it will be hard to get back in the zone again. I have been eating whatever tastes good which isn’t much. I haven’t gained weight but after a month, I and getting deconditioned.

Working out has always been my thing for physical and mental health and is important to me and is the thing that makes me, me.

I bought some new leggings (my motivator) but I am just not fired up about exercise.

Anyone else been down with Covid and any suggestions on getting back in the zone?

Replies

• HilTri
    Drmwc, the second bullet from the bottom is what I needed, thank you.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Hope you're feeling better
    Listen to your body. I haven't had covid but I've pushed returning to physical activity after other illnesses, pheunomia, and injuries and I have learned to just let my body heal and not push it. So what if you gain a little weight or lose some conditioning. It's a good challenge to get back to that level. Sucks but sometimes we need to rest to let our body heal properly.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    i had it and it took me a while. i'm still not fully back yet, but i'm trying.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’m sorry you’ve been through this. The recommendation above to start about 50% of before sounds reasonable. As with any return to exercise, amp up slowly, about 10% per week compared to the previous week. It will feel flow going at first, but you are giving your body time to readjust. Healing takes a long time. Even With a basic cold, it can take me 4-6 weeks till I truly feel 100% again. You have lots of enthusiasm and commitment so I have no doubt you’ll get there. You might even come back stronger than before or have a new perspective on your training or find something new to tweak. You might consider keeping a tracking log of your progress and goals, so you have a concrete way to monitor your recovery and assure yourself that you’re moving forward.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Lol “slow going at first”🙄
  • HilTri
    Thanks all. It has been a month since I have worked out. When I am honest with myself, I know it isn’t time to go back to working out. AliNouveau is right, I am gaining a little weight and that is messing with my head.
  • HilTri
    i had it and it took me a while. i'm still not fully back yet, but i'm trying.
    I know everyone is different in their recovery time but how long have you been down for?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    My husband had covid and it took him 3 months to get back to where he was at.
  • kirsty_w84
    kirsty_w84 Posts: 3 Member
    I had it in March. I still can't do vigorous exercise such as HIIT or running as I'm just completely out of breath. It's frustrating and I've gained a stone! :(

I've started to accept that I need to go back to basics so am just starting with walking and step workouts on YouTube.
  • HilTri
    Wow! I am glad to know I am not the only one. I have gained a little weight and I hate that feeling. Ugh. I am going to go for a walk today and do what I can. I have tried to work out with Covid and it seems to set my recovery back. I still can’t imagine doing HIIT or riding the spin bike but I can walk. I have been doing one thing a day like washing the car or mowing the lawn. That wears me out but I rest to recover and seem to be ok. It feels good to be a little productive in between naps. Thank you.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    HilTri wrote: »
    Wow! I am glad to know I am not the only one. I have gained a little weight and I hate that feeling. Ugh. I am going to go for a walk today and do what I can. I have tried to work out with Covid and it seems to set my recovery back. I still can’t imagine doing HIIT or riding the spin bike but I can walk. I have been doing one thing a day like washing the car or mowing the lawn. That wears me out but I rest to recover and seem to be ok. It feels good to be a little productive in between naps. Thank you.

This virus sucks so much. *hugs*
  • Maybe go all out on nutrition. Lots of fruit and vegetables etc etc. Maybe that might help with your recovery. Such a horrible virus. Get well soon x
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    No advice but wishing you well.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I've just been walking for my exercise. My body is tolerating that well at the moment, and I feel like I'm at least doing something. Also, I'm finding it easier to stay within my calorie goals because only simple foods appeal to me at the moment, and I've completely lost my taste for sweets and rich foods. Hugs!
  • HilTri
    Thanks so much! I got my retest results today and they are negative! I still feel bad. I walked 2 mi today Nd it’s felt better than doing nothing. My taste isn’t gone but definitely off or diminished. I have been eating weird food for meals like bananas w peanut butter, cottage cheese but not so much real meals. It really helps to hear from you guys.
  • HilTri wrote: »
    Thanks so much! I got my retest results today and they are negative! I still feel bad. I walked 2 mi today Nd it’s felt better than doing nothing. My taste isn’t gone but definitely off or diminished. I have been eating weird food for meals like bananas w peanut butter, cottage cheese but not so much real meals. It really helps to hear from you guys.

Lots of people who can't even walk 2 miles so that's great! Could it be long covid? Where it just lingers for ages?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Not covid, but recovering from the flu and bronchitis took a while. I coughed for months after flu b. Any exertion...had to just walk for a while.
  • HilTri
    HilTri wrote: »

Lots of people who can't even walk 2 miles so that's great! Could it be long covid? Where it just lingers for ages?

Yes! That is exactly what it is. It is getting better week by week. Last Monday I rode for an hour and was on the couch aaaaaalllllllllllllll day Tuesday asleep. I dialed the exercise back again. It is weird because some days I feel great and think it is over and go for a regular workout and quickly realize the Corona is still with me.