Little tips and tricks you employ to motivate yourself to workout and eat within calorie budget

I'm wondering about the little things you do that actually get you to exercise and measure and track your food, put down the cake, etc.

For example, when I first started with MFP about 4 weeks ago, I took a picture of myself in a bikini, printed it out, and put it on the fridge. I plan to do it again once I reach my mini goal and put it next to the first one. I will do this every 5 lbs until I reach my goal weight/measurements.

On the wall in front of the space where I workout, I've printed out a picture of a celebrity body that I resemble when I'm in my best shape. I've already looked like this so I'm not going after an unattainable ideal. I've cut off the head and have thought about pasting my own face on it. I've read about this trick in diet books. I look at this body when I'm working out, especially if I feel my energy slumping.

I also have 2 signs on that wall that say, "just do it" and "you're going to feel great after it's done." So far this wall technique has gotten me to workout 6 days a week.

So what are your tips and tricks?

Replies

• TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 815 Member
    I started out with no clear goal other than losing weight. No plan, just winging it. Started actually losing and I liked how it made me feel, so I just kept it up. I have a very addictive personality and I just dropped all my bad addictions and have thrown myself into becoming the best version of me that I can.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2020
    Every few pounds as I hit goals I get myself something to celebrate that. Running shoes, earrings, etc.
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Nothing as big as yours.

But what I do:

Adding friends on the app. It is really nice to get a thumb up or comment about how well you did after a good day or a work out. And seeing how others are doing and supporting them even in this tiny way makes me more motivated, too.

Buy a nice piece of clothing from the second hand store that I am close to fitting into/am just barely fitting into. Keeps me wanting to reach this very attainable next step goal of fitting well into new trousers.

DON'T have forbidden foods. Just make the decision to eat something more of a mental, thought-out one. I ask myself questions" "Will this fit into my calorie goal?" " If not, are you ready to put in extra exercise to get it in there?" " Do you really truly think this will make you feel good or will you regret eating this later?" "Is there something healthier that would hit the spot, too, that you could have instead?" - So, my decision to eat something no longer is just a mindless, split-second one. This leads to sometimes deciding overeating is worth it that day, but most of the time staying in my calorie goal.

I think the idea of not having forbidden foods is a good one. I reached a mini goal yesterday and let myself have some frozen yogurt that day because it had been 4 weeks since I'd had sweets. Although I admit, I ate a little more than what fit into my calorie budget!

Because I hit that mini goal I'm going to buy myself something nice with a gift card I've been holding onto since Christmas.

I'm going to keep in mind the questions you ask yourself the next time I'm considering eating a high calorie food . I forgot to do that today and had something that cost me a lot of calories but ultimately wasn't worth it..
  • VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    My dad use to put pictures of obese people on anything unhealthy in the pantry to deter and remind him.
  • emmalyngreen90
    emmalyngreen90 Posts: 6 Member
    I think about how Christian Bale lost 30 lbs. (i don't remember) for The Machinist, and then gained again for 1st Batman??? His transformations truly inspire me.
    And i read fitness blogs and magazines; looking at perfect people can motivate more!! Darcy runs a pretty blog about health (and i like him not only because of his name!) and i find some motivation at Nurital.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I remind myself that 10 min into my weight workout I always feel great. And that if I sit around, I will just feel sluggish.

Nothing is forbidden. I have dessert almost every night. I’m on an Oreo kick right now, so 1 serving of double stuff Oreos a night.

And I have a “model” app (can’t remember the name of it). You put target weight in and body shape. Then you put current weight and body shape so you can see them side by side.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    I think about how Christian Bale lost 30 lbs. (i don't remember) for The Machinist, and then gained again for 1st Batman??? His transformations truly inspire me.

I could put on weight for a role, but I'm not sure I'd lose it again! :lol:
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    And I have a “model” app (can’t remember the name of it). You put target weight in and body shape. Then you put current weight and body shape so you can see them side by side.

Ooh, that app sounds really interesting.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Big mirror and selfies
  • JojoInTheForks
    JojoInTheForks Posts: 134 Member
    When I first started, I read on here where someone would put their work out clothes on the minute they woke up...so then they may as well get on with it and work out. And that stayed with me. If I've planned a morning workout, I'm putting work out clothes on as soon as I wake up. If I've planned an evening workout, I'm putting my work out clothes on as soon as I get home from work. Much harder to talk yourself out of it when you're standing in your gym clothes and sneakers. Has worked for me. So whoever shared that last June, thanks!!!
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Ooh, that app sounds really interesting.

Found it - there's one called Visualize You. :) I'm going to use this photo to motivate me!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    The one I use is called “my model”. It was recommended in the fat2fit group I belong to. I like to swipe back and forth between the options and change the weights so I can get a visual of what I’ll look like 5 lbs thinner, 10 lbs etc. It helps motivate me to achieve my mini goals on the way to the long term goal (35 lbs more to lose).
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    The one I use is called “my model”. It was recommended in the fat2fit group I belong to. I like to swipe back and forth between the options and change the weights so I can get a visual of what I’ll look like 5 lbs thinner, 10 lbs etc. It helps motivate me to achieve my mini goals on the way to the long term goal (35 lbs more to lose).

This sounds great! I didn't know this existed. I'm going to get this. Thanks for posting!

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I work out first thing in the morning, right after feeding the cats. I keep my workout clothes bundled together into complete outfits right on top of the dresser - a shirt, pants, socks, and undergarments all ready to go, no hunting through my drawers. I keep a bottle of water in the fridge so it's also ready to go first thing. I have a spread in my journal of what each day's workout is (even though I'm following a video, I like to make notes). Basically, my goal is for Future Me to not have to think too hard about any of it, in terms of exercise.

For staying within my calorie budget, that's been a little harder. I do all the cooking in the house, so tracking those calories is easy; except, I do all the cooking in the house, so I know where all the food is. And, I do all the cooking in the house, so when I'm just too tired to cook, we get takeout. I'm a little ashamed to admit my husband and I got takeout every Thursday night for most of this year - it was a regular bright spot in what has been a garbage fire of a year, to be sure, but it was a 1200-calorie-apiece bright spot that we probably both could have done without. My strategy going forward is going to be to go ahead and box up half of my takeout dinners right away, a technique I've employed with some success in the Before Times when going to restaurants was a thing one could do.
  • Crystalb4747
    Crystalb4747 Posts: 20 Member
    I bought cloths from my favourite store that hasn’t made it through covid in a smaller size 😭👍