Accountability buddy

Replies

• driheataz
    driheataz Posts: 15 Member
    Congratulations on your new sewing machine! I am also into sewing, however a quilter. No fitting needed, just the blocks need to fit! I also gift almost all my quilts; to family, friends, and charity. I do find the time I am lost in my sewing room excellent for getting my mind off of mindless snacking. However, not so good for getting moving! I’ve always wanted to learn to knit, but concerned about developing a new hobby that doesn’t get me off my fanny. So it’s back to the gym for me. No more COVID excuses. Let’s encourage each other and all to reach each 5 pound goal!
    Sharon
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @driheataz - Welcome! Thanks for bringing new energy to the group! I agree that small, manageable goals are best. We can’t build new habits overnight but we can build momentum for long term change by supporting one another on this thread.

Right now, I’m hovering just over 140 pounds and I always seem to hit a long plateau on the cusp of every 5 pound increment. It must be psychological ... 😬 so maybe your idea of celebrating the milestone will get me back on track. I’m not as skilled as @bashamama so I’ll live vicariously through the photos of her completed projects and add some possible ways to treat ourselves here:

-Put the laundry and chores aside for the day and sit with a good book ... or lose myself in TEDtalks
    -Buy a facial mask and enjoy a perfect cup of tea while reenergizing my neglected skin.
    -Spend some time wandering in nature or a local garden to literally stop and smell the flowers.
    -Buy fragrant and colorful cut flowers or a new orchid plant to liven up my space.
    -Go to the ocean (or mountains?) and breathe deeply to feel the crisp (& salty) air fill my lungs.
    -Call a friend to walk outside together or go apple picking (or visit a museum that is open with care)
    -Connect with an old hobby; I’ll revisit my art days by drawing or painting something on a big canvas.
    -Buy a massage pillow or neck massager (or foot?)
    ... or one of those lavender scented eye coverings (something spa-like depending on your preference)
    -Write in a journal to tell yourself how far you’ve come since 3 years ago and document the pride or gratitude you feel ...

I’ll look forward to hearing other ideas. One thing I’d like to do is plan some trips for post-COVID and also reconnect with family and friends.

Congratulations on pulling yourself out of darker times and being kinder to yourself. I’ll see you on the other side of 5 pounds (probably end of November for that milestone) but I’m going to reward myself once I finally get to 139!! 😀
  • driheataz
    @PatriceFitnessPal, I love your reward suggestions. They are numerous and varied, creative, and most of all....inspiring! I’m at 155 and would really like to drop 35 lbs. When the going becomes challenging, I’ll plan my next reward and dream of slipping on a long beloved piece of clothing from my wardrobe. Not sure when I will hit my sub 150 mark, but I am confident I am on track and it will happen! Now out to do some Fall yard maintenance and ready my yard for winter. Thanks for your note of encouragement.
  • StepWise123
    StepWise123 Posts: 180 Member
    Hi Sharon and everyone. I'm 70 too, but don't feel it. (Jan 2020) Someday (soon!) this Covid thing will be over. The isolation is making me feel frumpy ... ok, maybe a bit crazy, too! This is a great idea: 5 pounds at a time. I need to lose 20. I did that once, but it came back due to some bad choices: like emotional eating! Once we are able to begin to travel and see friends and family again, I want to be at my best. No more frumpy! Great ideas here!
  • beshamama
    beshamama Posts: 240 Member
    @driheataz I have a friend who has a stationary bike and she knits while exercising! It really kinda makes me want to buy one too. 😊 Back when my girls were going to school before Covid I would knit while walking up to their school. That’s as far as my crafting multitasking goes 🤣
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @beshamama - When I was president of the elementary school parent-teacher association (PTA), there were a few knitters at the meetings who I always admired for being so productive. I can understand it as a way for them to keep their hands busy through the boredom, but I don’t think I’d be able to manage two activities - knitting and using the stationery bike - at the same time!

At the gym (pre-Covid), I liked watching Netflix while using the bike or treadmill because I felt as though I could justify indulging in a movie or series as long as I was exercising ... but knitting and exercising both seem productive to me. If I had more space, it would be good to invest in some home exercise equipment but I’m a little bit afraid it would turn into a clothes rack. Good for your friend!

@highmaintnance - I was so glad to see you’ve been ‘lurking’ because I was wondering if I should keep posting when the thread was quieter than usual - and thought maybe people had matched with some friends - so it’s good to know that there are still group members out there checking in from the periphery. Thanks for sharing an update! Your new goal of reaching your target within the 40 weeks until your birthday is perfect! It’s so nice you’re finding fun ways to involve your daughter in your workouts. I’m sure you’ll both feel wonderful celebrating your birthday together!

It’s been rainy so it’s been tough to get motivated for running every day - and today was busy with work and appointments for my mother - but I’m determined to run again tomorrow. It’s going to be nice again so I’m really looking forward to being outside while it’s still sunny. I better get to bed so I can get up early and hit the pavement ... and tackle that steep hill. I’ve been getting a lot done around my mom’s house and staying within my calorie targets so I’m feeling alright about missing some exercise, especially since I enjoyed shopping with my son at a nearby international market and cooking together on the rainy evening last night ... Still, I’ll need to make the best of the days I can exercise. Hang in there through the rest of the week, everyone, and seize every moment!
  • Smithschmidt
    Smithschmidt Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone. I am 44, I love to read and am happy being me just as I am. BUT I am 44 and about that many pounds overweight with a family history of heart disease. I need to drop some weight in a healthy sustainable way. And I need help. I am not always good at sticking to logging my food. I work long hours sitting behind a computer then as a mom. I need to get my behind moving. Hoping yoy can help me and I can help you too.
  • driheataz
    @StepWise123, hello! So good to hear from everyone! I’m glad to here that you all are being active, it’s motivating me to make a plan and get moving! I’m way out of shape, and I know I need to really get back to my hikes with my “girls” now that the weather is gorgeous again. So tomorrow is day 1 of my daily exercise commitment. 😁.

@beshamama, if I tried to knit while riding a bike, I’d probably drop stitches or worse yet, impale myself with a knitting needle!! I’m impressed that you can knit while walking. I’d probably trip and fall on my face!

• driheataz
    Hello everyone. I am 44, I love to read and am happy being me just as I am. BUT I am 44 and about that many pounds overweight with a family history of heart disease. I need to drop some weight in a healthy sustainable way. And I need help. I am not always good at sticking to logging my food. I work long hours sitting behind a computer then as a mom. I need to get my behind moving. Hoping yoy can help me and I can help you too.

@Smithschmidt, count me in as a check in buddy. I lost my best friend, my hubby, not too long ago and I am convinced he passed because he did not make good choices. I am determined to take care of myself, be healthy, and be happy once again.
    😌

• nikki1504
    nikki1504 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi am needing some accountability pals, feel free to add me, have reset mfp and am trying again
  • agawilk777
    agawilk777 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi all, I'm new to this community and excited to be here!:) I'm 38 years old and have been creating healthy habits and getting into a workout routine. Sometimes I have binge days though and I would love some accountability pals. Please feel free to add me and let's keep in check together!
  • beshamama
    Now I really want to look into getting a stationary bike 🤔
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member

@PatriceFitnessPal Some days I just don't feel like adding anything (that sounds terrible) but I still check in for motivation and consistency.

I am struggling this week with the nutrition and exercise. I am the queen of emotional eating, and this week has been a challenge on all fronts. It honestly sucked putting my food in the diary, but I did it anyway. It at least helped me see the damage; and some days the damage wasn't as earth shattering as I thought it would be. That realization helped me keep going. Don't let slip ups keep you down, but don't excuse them too much either. It's such a fine line. Anyway, I can recognize that my emotional eating doesn't help me at all. I often feel much worse, physically and mentally, so I'm hoping I have reached a point where I can overcome it all together. Here's hoping. I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Keep posting your stories even when you feel many people aren't "listening". I am probably not the only lurker cheering you all on and drawing on some of your achievements.

I guess I have one achievement. Yesterday I took my dad (89 with dementia) on a car ride for some ice cream, which is his favorite. I bought us medium sized blizzards and didn't finish mine. Normally, I would finish the whole thing even if I didn't really want it anymore (the psyche is so messed up), but this time I threw some of it away. There is a silver lining.
  • beshamama
    NSV: I finally went on a bike ride by myself today! I have been wanting to do this for awhile but my little girls get so sad when I leave without them. I was talking about it with my hubby this morning and he said,” just go! You have to do things that seem ‘rude’ but really aren’t. Just tell the girls you are going and you’ll go with them later if they want. You come first.” It was what I needed to hear...I had this hang up that I was being selfish so it was great of him to be in my corner and reassure me that I’m not selfish.

I feel like a yo-yo. For the past month every week I weigh in I’m either a pound heavier or a pound lighter. 🤦‍♀️ I guess I need to maybe over estimate my calories? I tend to make a lot of my food from scratch and logging the recipes is a pain but I need to be more diligent about it. I’m just so tired of maintaining my weight.

Goals for the weekend:
    Don’t over indulge! We usually have a couple drinks each Sat night and maybe I should just stick to one. We also usually order out food but I tend to eat a bit too much. Going to keep it to one plate.
  • KMC55
    KMC55 Posts: 100 Member
    Reading the more recent posts have been exciting to see so many others are experiencing all the samethings that I have gone through or am currently going through. Since this is my first post in the group I will give a little intro. I am 39 yrs old and been struggling with my weight my whole life. I have been on the current journey since August 2019. I was able to drop 30lbs pretty quickly but then just stalled. I am thrilled to say I have kept it off since then Fighting every step of the way but I REFUSE to give up. Now I am buckling down to get the remaining 55lbs off that I want. It gets tiring to constantly being on top of everything that I consume but know that in my current state of mind that is the ONLY way to get there.

So here I am, I apologize for the ramblings that I have posted and am sure to post in the future.
  • EML112610
    EML112610 Posts: 27 Member
    Im in too! Lmk!
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Has anyone tried Noom? I saw it on Facebook and checked it out. It's great for accountability, as there is a coach who will text you or send an email if you don't log your food or check in. It really gets to the psychology of it all too, which I found interesting. The downfalls are that it doesn't connect to MFP, so you have to log on your food there too and it's $35 a month. I'm just doing the free week trial right now; I'm not sure I want to extend my budget to add that in. My sister's friend has been using it and has lost a significant amount of her goal and in a healthy way.

Anyway, I've been tracking on here consistently for a week now! I got a new fitbit that vibrates every hour if I haven't gotten my 250 steps in for that hour. I like that because it's another motivator to get up from my desk and move every hour.

@beshamama I'm so glad you went on that bike ride! I'm also so happy to hear that you have an awesome and supportive husband in your corner.
  • KMC55
    @highmaintnance
    I have done Noom and yes the psychology is great but after about 6 months they try to set you on your own and I fell off of it. I may try to go back since I have the membership until the end of the year. The coach really only checks in once a week regardless of how many times you message. That has been my experience so take it as you will.
  • KMC55
    @EML112610 How are you doing?

I'm struggling from a rough weekend. Just a few too many indulgences which means I'm back up to where I was the start of last week. I just need to keep my calories logged so I can make some forward progress. It is so frustrating to be bouncing up and down so much, and for so long (about 6 months). Im happy to add friends to share food logs with. I need to do something and really hoping a large community like this could help
  • EML112610
    EML112610 Posts: 27 Member
    It definitely is helpful. I did this before and had success. Then stupid covid messed it all up! I do find I eat w/ my food diary in mind, knowing others will see it keeps me focused!! Having said that, you will never find a day in my journal that doesn't have some kind of indulgence and I hardly bother on the weekends. Even with that, I was able to lose over thirty lbs a couple of years ago. You sound motivated so I think you'll do great, Ive got your back!