The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, that is so true. One of the insights I got from a person who has several years under her belt was that she stopped going to AA after a while because she felt the mindset (in her particular group, at least) of struggling to make it just one more day implied that alcohol was something desirable that she was giving up. Instead, she found it more helpful to think of it as something she was so glad to be free from and didn't even want to think about. I personally found that helpful. Again, the analogy to a bad boyfriend seems apt. After a while, why would we need to grit our teeth to get through each day without the jerk when we could move on to something better?

Yes I can see that about AA. My sister doesn't use AA or any program and has been sober for 222+ days. I have been attending AA and for now it is working for me. I am reward driven. And I love the ideas on here about rewarding ourselves with a piece of jewelry or perhaps a service (like mani, pedi, massage). I am also eagerly looking forward to my two month coin.

I just googled sober things to do in my city, and found the usual things like museums, zoo, etc. I think probably I am overthinking this; I can do anything I always enjoyed, just do it sober. (except for going to bars- too tempting)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Father Martin chalk talk on alcoholism. It's long but listen to it on a long walk. OR find Father Martin's talks in shorter segments. This man is brilliant; some people are born to speak and reach people.

An alcoholic will not respond to treatment unless he wants to.....

https://youtu.be/t7T5stQQFQg
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. Nothing alcohol related today. I wanted to share that my closest childhood friends' brother died this weekend from Covid. Please wear your masks and do the other things that science advises us to end this nightmare. We are all in this together.

So sorry for thats news. My condolences to you and their family. ❤
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. Nothing alcohol related today. I wanted to share that my closest childhood friends' brother died this weekend from Covid. Please wear your masks and do the other things that science advises us to end this nightmare. We are all in this together.

My condolences to the family! <3
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    This is a convo with my husband today. 5:30 pm.... THIS helps me not want to drink.

I’m having a super stressful day and started drinking thinkin.... now I’m nauseated at the thought.
    K: "how far are you driving"

Me: what are you talking about

K: I'm worried about you

Me: why are you worried (thinking I drive 6 hrs home every other weekend or so)

K: I don't want you drinking and driving

Me: Kevin, I'm not drinking.... YOU are drinking.

K: oh ok.

Im sure he wishes you were home drinking with him. He'll turn it around eventually. If mine has theres hope. Speaking of mine hes down 8 pounds. Water weight im positive of that but he loses weight fast anyway. Another Af benefit
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @JenT304 <3

@RubyRed427 I hear your struggle <3 Have you gone on YouTube and searched for a video that may help with your cravings. I remember when my bro died and I had 2 bottles of wine sitting on my kitchen counter, even rinsed out a fave wine glass, but decided to search for a video & ended up watching Dick Cavett interview Dick Van *kitten*. That was the end of my craving. I'm not suggesting that particular video for you, but you may find something that speaks to what you are going through right now. You are doing so well...the struggle means we are still fighting and the fight IS worth it...you'll get through this bout and it will make you stronger for the next one...eventually it will get fewer & farther between...You CAN do this!!