The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    WOW those mushrooms look insane @mtaratoot I absolutely love exotic mushrooms, but they cost a fortune here unfortunately.

Chanterelles are available in-season, and the price varies with how good a year it is. I think they are about $20 per pound right now where you can find them. I've seen them for less and more. I think people who harvest commercially get $2 per pound or something like that. I don't really know because I just pick for myself; I don't have a permit to collect commercially. I also see other wild mushrooms in the grocery for similar prices. Sometimes we see lobster mushroom; they don't last that long.

Some mushrooms, like those elusive boletes I look for but don't find, dry quite well. They're also called Porcini mushrooms. Chanterelles dry ok, but they don't rehydrate well. If you dry them, you can grind them into a powder and use for flavor/umami, but they don't do well bringing them back. To store them, I saute in batches, then freeze portions in vacuum bags.

I also would like to learn to identify Matzutake mushrooms. They grow around here. I'm always on the lookout for cauliflower mushroom when I'm out. In May, there's morels; I rarely find them.

Some other mushrooms are now farmed. I should get another shiitake log. If I find a pleurotus log in the woods, I can bring that home. They now have figured out how to grow lion's mane. I think they have figured out how to farm matzutake, too. Some others can be grown, but we haven't figured out how to make them fruit yet.

We also have white truffles that allegedly rival Italian white truffles. I'm just ot a huge truffle fan like some people are. A few friends have dogs that can sniff them out - it' a much lower impact way to find them than raking, and you only dig up RIPE ones.

There's a few more species on my list I want to learn to identify. For now there's only five or eight I feel 100% comfortable identifying in the field. And I love them!

Well, there's some others I can easily identify, but they aren't edible. We have artist's conch and another ganoderma that's known as Reishi. Not edible so much as medicinal. We also get early morel (Verpa), but I don't harvest them. They're not really edible. I can ID the Western Jack-O-Lantern; looks kind of like chanterelle, but not quite, grows on wood, and is poison.

My friend decided not to go out today, but that's fine. I have other work to do. There's another spot I might go try to find for boletes.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    WOW those mushrooms look insane @mtaratoot I absolutely love exotic mushrooms, but they cost a fortune here unfortunately.

Chanterelles are available in-season, and the price varies with how good a year it is. I think they are about $20 per pound right now where you can find them. I've seen them for less and more. I think people who harvest commercially get $2 per pound or something like that. I don't really know because I just pick for myself; I don't have a permit to collect commercially. I also see other wild mushrooms in the grocery for similar prices. Sometimes we see lobster mushroom; they don't last that long.

Some mushrooms, like those elusive boletes I look for but don't find, dry quite well. They're also called Porcini mushrooms. Chanterelles dry ok, but they don't rehydrate well. If you dry them, you can grind them into a powder and use for flavor/umami, but they don't do well bringing them back. To store them, I saute in batches, then freeze portions in vacuum bags.

I also would like to learn to identify Matzutake mushrooms. They grow around here. I'm always on the lookout for cauliflower mushroom when I'm out. In May, there's morels; I rarely find them.

Some other mushrooms are now farmed. I should get another shiitake log. If I find a pleurotus log in the woods, I can bring that home. They now have figured out how to grow lion's mane. I think they have figured out how to farm matzutake, too. Some others can be grown, but we haven't figured out how to make them fruit yet.

We also have white truffles that allegedly rival Italian white truffles. I'm just ot a huge truffle fan like some people are. A few friends have dogs that can sniff them out - it' a much lower impact way to find them than raking, and you only dig up RIPE ones.

There's a few more species on my list I want to learn to identify. For now there's only five or eight I feel 100% comfortable identifying in the field. And I love them!

Well, there's some others I can easily identify, but they aren't edible. We have artist's conch and another ganoderma that's known as Reishi. Not edible so much as medicinal. We also get early morel (Verpa), but I don't harvest them. They're not really edible. I can ID the Western Jack-O-Lantern; looks kind of like chanterelle, but not quite, grows on wood, and is poison.

My friend decided not to go out today, but that's fine. I have other work to do. There's another spot I might go try to find for boletes.

Your so clever I would probably get poisoned.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    annliz23 wrote: »

Yup I wouldn’t dare harvesting them myself
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    annliz23 wrote: »

Yup I wouldn’t dare harvesting them myself

As it turns out....

The image I labeled as a Yellowfoot chanterelle? It isn't. Upon closer inspection, it's a Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca. A.K.A. False chanterelle. And guess what? They are considered poisonous. I only brought a few home for educational purposes. I usually don't bother with them. These seemed too big, but they had hollow stems. Upon closer inspection.... those stems aren't hollow! I found some other interesting fungus today in a new-to-me spot. I was looking for boletes but found some fly agaric, some milky caps, and a BUNCH more chanterelles. I did collect some more chanterelles; I now have enough for myself AND to give some to friends.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »

Hope your daughter is ok. Better to keep her off anyway so she can get better

So are the schools still in? Do they have remote learning set up? Our public system is a mess. They made people choose between remote or in class. The school my son is at streams every class online so if you're sick you still can check out the remote class

Yeah they were off from March, back in from September, but I wouldn't be surprised if they close again.
    My girls (12 & 13) are in a so-called digital school, so it's all iPad based and this worked brilliantly during the first lockdown. The classes aren't streamed as such, but they communicate and get all their work done through that medium, so she can just do her work while she's off.
    WFH suits me, working on two tenders at the moment, which is actually easier to do at home on my own.

My children are all grown up now, so I don't have to worry about schools closing.

I worked from home for about 6 weeks, then we all got called back in. My bosses are younger than me, but struggle with modern ideas. They have suspicious minds, so couldn't handle the concept of staff working where they couldn't see them.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

So are the schools still in? Do they have remote learning set up? Our public system is a mess. They made people choose between remote or in class. The school my son is at streams every class online so if you're sick you still can check out the remote class

Yeah they were off from March, back in from September, but I wouldn't be surprised if they close again.
    My girls (12 & 13) are in a so-called digital school, so it's all iPad based and this worked brilliantly during the first lockdown. The classes aren't streamed as such, but they communicate and get all their work done through that medium, so she can just do her work while she's off.
    WFH suits me, working on two tenders at the moment, which is actually easier to do at home on my own.

My children are all grown up now, so I don't have to worry about schools closing.

I worked from home for about 6 weeks, then we all got called back in. My bosses are younger than me, but struggle with modern ideas. They have suspicious minds, so couldn't handle the concept of staff working where they couldn't see them.

We have a few of those dinosaurs in our office as well and their staff are all in fulltime. Other departments are more flexible. I work directly for the MD and he's dead easy. Which makes it a little unfair for some people, as they see others working from home and they're not allowed.

Well it's official here, we're going back into lockdown from Thursday, for six weeks. Stay within 5km from your house. Non essential shops, hairdressers etc all shut. Few exceptions this time though, schools, creches and construction sites may remain open.
  • Fatexterminator1
    Fatexterminator1 Posts: 13 Member
    43 and returning looking for friends
  • balanc41
    balanc41 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Good morning all you sexy middle agers!
  • prodigyofdoubt
    prodigyofdoubt Posts: 1 Member
    41 here...Feel free to add me as well :smile:
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

We have a few of those dinosaurs in our office as well and their staff are all in fulltime. Other departments are more flexible. I work directly for the MD and he's dead easy. Which makes it a little unfair for some people, as they see others working from home and they're not allowed.

Well it's official here, we're going back into lockdown from Thursday, for six weeks. Stay within 5km from your house. Non essential shops, hairdressers etc all shut. Few exceptions this time though, schools, creches and construction sites may remain open.

Oh wow. Well if lockdown is what it takes to get over this do it! It worked for us the first-time.

We were told trick or treating for Halloween is cancelled. I wasn't going to take my son anyway.

As for work my husband's department head has been still going to the office. Apparently he sent a pic of someone working while their store was bombed out in the war and was like they kept going. Some people don't know what empathy is. Hubs is staying home until there's a vaccine. Luckily he has office space in the basement
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 650 Member

Oh wow. Well if lockdown is what it takes to get over this do it! It worked for us the first-time.

We were told trick or treating for Halloween is cancelled. I wasn't going to take my son anyway.

As for work my husband's department head has been still going to the office. Apparently he sent a pic of someone working while their store was bombed out in the war and was like they kept going. Some people don't know what empathy is. Hubs is staying home until there's a vaccine. Luckily he has office space in the basement

I am about 200km to the south of you, and I have heard that we are going to be facing some increased restrictions here as well. Doesn't bother me too much since I have been working from home since this started. Safest thing to do if you can do it.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    I don't mind too much myself either. Just the lack of social life is hard and I'm sick of zoom calls.
    Pubs here have been closed since March, restaurants have reopend for a while, but they're back closing now again. I literally have not been in a pub or restaurant since Feb. Ah well, suppose it's good for the diet. Feel bad for the pub owners and staff though.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    I've been working at home since March, and was told we won't be back in the office until sometime after the first of the year. My husband is in manufacturing so working from home not an option for him, but his place does provide masks, does daily temp checks etc. Kids are doing Hybrid as of now...so in class a couple days a week and at home a couple days a week. I miss people and tired of Zoom calls and talking into a computer screen, but health is more important.
  • Beowolf95
    Beowolf95 Posts: 42 Member
    I've been working from home since March and realistically don't expect to go back in regularly until next spring. I go in once a week just for a sense of normalcy and some interaction. I started going back to my personal group training last month. I'm at risk due to auto-immune but we're a small group and the state I'm in is the lowest in the nation for cases so I feel realitively comfortable with it but I'm still cautious.
  • AliNouveau
    I find lately I've been getting a bit bored. Usually at this time of year I'd be skating two or three mornings a week and curling in a couple if leagues and practicing at least one afternoon. I've just started missing the social interaction I get from that and just the activity. I take at least a 5k walk most days partly to kill some time. There's only so much I can clean my house 😂🤣

But hey....were healthy so that's all that matters really
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    Seem to be less motivated at the moment, weight static I just need to get my focus back been here before so I know eventually I will get moving again.

Good luck folks stay safe and keep moving!
  • Hi I am 41years old and never felt better..coming in the shape of my life...feel free to add me....Chris
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited October 2020
    Here as well..brrr. im not going out in it though!!

I couldn't get my pic to upload :(
  • AliNouveau
    balanc41 wrote: »
    Snow has finally hit!
    5hs8opr0zguh.jpeg
    178ozhi0hb2o.jpeg

Jealous!!
    We've just been getting lots of rain. If rather snow