What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    jquedal wrote: »
    Humans don't need nearly as much protein as people think. 🤷🏻‍♀️😬😬😬

I'm willing to believe that you need 'bout tree fiddy grams of protein a day for the specific goal of bodybuilding... but just for generic health I agree with you, it's more a matter of personal preference.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    honeycrisp apples are highly overrated.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Apples aren't that good or filling.

I don't like apples much at all unless they are cooked. I love apples in apple pie or other baked goods.
  • pancakerunner

I don't like apples much at all unless they are cooked. I love apples in apple pie or other baked goods.

Exactly! and same
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

Exactly! and same

ha ha....I'm the exact opposite. I do not like baked apple 'anything' but a crispy, cold apple is quite yummy🙃
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member

I like red delicious apples but definitely not filling. I don't like apples in apple pie but I like the saucy stuff and the crust. :)
  • pancakerunner
    Okay, confession... I don't like fresh apples unless they are diced and in chicken salad or something. I do like dried apple rings on occasion. I like apple pie and crumble and apple fritters, etc. But I don't care for apple FLAVORED things or apple spice anything.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I like apples in all forms, although some are better than others (honeycrisps are among the better ones).
  • jquedal
    jquedal Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Humans don't need nearly as much protein as people think. 🤷🏻‍♀️😬😬😬

Need or benefit from?

I think most people think we generally need (as in might do more poorly healthwise without) the DRI, which is 0.8 g per kg of a healthy body weight (for me, using 120 lb, about 44 g). If you are saying it's not at all important for me to get nearly that much, then I would disagree and say that you indeed have an unpopular opinion.

However, while I don't NEED more, I am convinced that there are benefits for many (especially those who may struggle with building muscle or keeping muscle on, including women of a certain age, or those with muscle building goals that are more challenging). People also seem to vary on how they feel on certain diets, and for some increasing protein is an easy way to help control appetite.

The healthiest, longest-living populations on earth consistently eat around 15% of their calories from protein. Excess protein in the diet is also associated with problems with your kidneys, liver, and bones-not to mention heart disease, cancer, bad breath, constipation, weight gain, systemic inflammation etc.

A caveat is that many of those risks area associated with excess animal protein, but excess protein of any form is associated with kidney damage and increased cancer risk.

No, I am not recommending that anyone consume less than their DRI, and no, following a high protein diet for a short period of time is not likely to cause permanent problems (although it *can*) but a high protein diet, for extended periods of time is associated with negative health outcomes. So while it may benefit you and your goals in the short term, in the long term it will most definitely not benefit someone to be eating huge amounts of protein.

How you feel satiety-wise will not effect how protein affects your body metabolically. Many people feel better satiated with fiber and water. I myself feel an *increase* in hunger when I have eaten more protein than normal. My dad died of excess protein plus lifestyle health issues, so I do kind of have a soapbox, but the science is all there, peer reviewed, non-biased, not funded by the beef, dairy, or egg industry. It's just hard to dig through and find it because we are inundated with info on the "benefits" of high-protein diets. This information is misleading at best and dangerous at worst.

Btw I am not judging anyone or their macros with my comment. I knew though that it would bug someone because of how deep that belief runs. If high protein for a short period of time helps get someone to a healthy weight then that is great, but maintaining macros like 30% protein for years is not good.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited October 2020
    The healthiest, longest-living populations on earth consistently eat around 15% of their calories from protein. Excess protein in the diet is also associated with problems with your kidneys, liver, and bones-not to mention heart disease, cancer, bad breath, constipation, weight gain, systemic inflammation etc.

If this is supposed to mean that one needs substantially less than the DRI, it's not a good argument, since based on percentages. The 44g I mentioned, at a maintenance diet for me, would be around 8% for me when I'm active, and still under 10% at the activity level I've fallen into in the Covid era.

15% also is typically much higher than the DRI, which is why I gave my numbers above, and this is especially true because the blue zone populations tend to be reasonably active and have many, many other things different about their diets and lifestyles. Poor evidence indeed!

Similarly, people sometimes make a big deal about Kenyan marathoners eating about 10% protein, but that's not low protein at their cals and body weight.
    No, I am not recommending that anyone consume less than their DRI, and no, following a high protein diet for a short period of time is not likely to cause permanent problems (although it *can*) but a high protein diet, for extended periods of time is associated with negative health outcomes. So while it may benefit you and your goals in the short term, in the long term it will most definitely not benefit someone to be eating huge amounts of protein.

Oh, okay, then not really relevant to what I said.

I will say that I've read a bunch of the anti protein stuff and the pro WFPB stuff, and I think none of it is all that convincing as there are always many other factors that would likely make a difference (including, yes, the source of protein).

I also don't think 15-20% of my diet in protein (that's what the 0.6-0.8 g/lb that is usually recommended for muscle-maintenance/building and that I tend to prefer is for me at maintenance) would reasonably be considered HIGH protein.
    How you feel satiety-wise will not effect how protein affects your body metabolically.

Not sure what you mean "metabolically"? You mean it won't help you be healthier? To the contrary, if more protein helps someone more easily maintain a healthy weight and they otherwise eat a balanced healthy diet with plenty of veg and fruit and healthy fats, etc., then it certainly can and does help that person be healthier.

For example, I like to run. There are healthier forms of exercise (in terms of overall risk and outcomes, including just stuff like needing knee replacements as one gets older), but I like running and so running makes it easier for me to be healthy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    We always had German potato salad with bacon, vinegar, and mustard (no mayo), and I love it.

That sounds good... do you have the recipe?
  • VeryKatie
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    Cauliflower is not potatoes, rice, or anything besides cauliflower.
    Greek yogurt is yucky!

To be fair... all yogurt is pretty nasty.
  • VeryKatie
    Frozen custard is better than ice cream.
    Gelato is better than everything.

Going to be honest I don't get the hype of Gelato. I like it fine. Buy why is it better than the other options?
  • pancakerunner
    Unpopular, but tbh I don't think ice cream is that great when eaten by itself. And bizarre and unique flavors aren't that good. Vanilla ice cream with apple pie? perfect.
  • pancakerunner
    Don't bother with whole wheat pasta.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Don't bother with whole wheat pasta.

I prefer it, as long as it's a good brand. (Favorite: Bionaturae).