Healthy but confused

Hi all, I’m not at my goal weight of 155 but don’t feel bad about being at 169. I’m pretty active as I’m a nurse and I run and doing personal training twice a week. Just can’t figure out how to lose the weight and develop muscle to get lean. Would love to do a fitness competition some day but I don’t know if it will ever happen. I’m soon to be 53 and am pretty busy. I love running with my rotties. I could use some guidance.

Replies

• The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    Are you counting calories? Are you weighing your food?
  • Runninggrl67
    Runninggrl67 Posts: 12 Member
    I am counting but not always weighing my food. My personal trainer believe I should be taking in 1500 calories instead of 1200 as he said I’m losing strength. I’m sticking to what the app says based on my exercise input and steps as it changes.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    What's your estimated TDEE? How big of a deficit is 1500 calories for you? What's your average protein intake?

With regard to your training, what kind of workouts does your trainer have you doing, and why does he say you're losing strength?
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    @Runninggrl67 you mentioned being pretty active. So you could play around with your calories by increasing it. Make sure your diet is at least 90% whole foods. If upping your calories doesn’t work, then eat at a deficit and increase your cardio. Eg. HIIT instead of running miles do short sprints. These are just ideas, not guaranteed to work. Sometimes our bodies need rest. A solid 7-8hrs a night you said you’re a nurse, probably shift hours could be affecting your sleep?
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Add some strength training possibly?
  • KimberlyCapone
    KimberlyCapone Posts: 42 Member
    If your TRAINER can't help you with this, then you probably need to find a new trainer.

Try this: https://www.katyhearnfit.com/macro-calculator
    It'll give you a really pretty picture of what you should be eating daily. If you're wanting to build muscle, you'll need to start adding some strength training into your routine.
  • Runninggrl67
    If your TRAINER can't help you with this, then you probably need to find a new trainer.

Try this: https://www.katyhearnfit.com/macro-calculator
    It'll give you a really pretty picture of what you should be eating daily. If you're wanting to build muscle, you'll need to start adding some strength training into your routine.
    I did this and it looks pretty spot on of what I’m working towards. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Runninggrl67
    @Runninggrl67 you mentioned being pretty active. So you could play around with your calories by increasing it. Make sure your diet is at least 90% whole foods. If upping your calories doesn’t work, then eat at a deficit and increase your cardio. Eg. HIIT instead of running miles do short sprints.
    You have a lot of insight. Yes, I suffer from a lack of sleep and a chaotic schedule. I like the ideas of HIIT and sprints. And I just started planning meals for the week from the app and using fresher Whole Foods. Thank you for the support. I am learning and feeling encouraged.
  • Runninggrl67
    I’m working with a personal trainer twice a week doing weight cross training. I’m going to up my protein also.

• Runninggrl67
    What's your estimated TDEE? How big of a deficit is 1500 calories for you? What's your average protein intake? I’m overwhelmed with the term TDEE right now but my trainer suggested increasing my protein to .5 gram per pound so I believe it’s around at least 85.4 grams as I am 169 pounds. I actually was understanding by the macros app to increase it to 139 grams. I’m just trying to eat that much. Lol

With regard to your training, what kind of workouts does your trainer have you doing, and why does he say you're losing strength?
    He says I’m losing strength because the weights I could easily do before are more taxing for me to do. I ate more today and had more sleep and did much better today at the gym. Still working on figuring out my schedule and remembering to put me on the list to take care of instead of everyone else as I am a nurse in cvicu