WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    morning ladies~
    not going to fight trying to sleep, I went to bed early and got up early after 2 am, and got a load of laundry done and its in the dryer... having my tea and a muffin..
    going for a mammogram tomorrow early,, which is good, in and out.. and i am hoping that comes up clear...
    also the covid test...
    Jean wants me to stay overnight thursday. I have done that all summer long, I think I will say no , the twin bed is uncomfortable and this coming weekend will be the last of them traveling at least for now..
    I did talk to my brother yesterday,how I miss seeing and talking to him...
    Jean has done nothing to make my life easier,,, going to start saying No~~
    I am sure I will take a mid morning nap... but thats ok..

Here, if you've had a covid test because you're showing a few symptoms, you are supposed to self-quarantine and not go out in public or be anywhere near other people. We get fined if we violate that.

So when I had my covid test on Oct 1, I had to drive straight home and stay there. No work. No shopping. No medical appointments. Until I got the text which told me I was negative.

I'm just surprised that you're allowed to go for your mammogram and you're considering going to work, when you've had covid symptoms, have had a test, and are now waiting for results.

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    I started to rebel this morning. I have woken up stiff and sore for the last 20 years, ever since the zoster virus almost killed me. I didn't want to stretch and do my routine. A terrible internal argument broke out and finally Fae She won, but it was ugly in the beginning. I need to get a husband because frankly, I am sick and tired of taking all my own abuse. It is exhausting.

Barbara No, I didn't do the racerback macrame. I bought the bra from Billabong. It was a discontinued style. I did do macrame back in the '70s. I hoarded baling twine and macrame'd all kind of things for house decoration. I also did some macrame with homespun wool. I sheared the sheep myself and spun the wool on my homemade spinning wheel. I even knitted a sweater, cap, and mitts from my homespun wool. It didn't come out very well.

Fae the eccentric eclectic old boho mountainwoman hippy beach trail walker off to guitar practice

I have been accused of being a streetwalker, but never a common one
  • mrsbfe
    mrsbfe Posts: 52 Member
    edited October 2020
    Thank you for all the tips and welcomes. I think I'll get the hang of it.

I'm Sheri and I live in rural southern Ohio on 13 acres (mostly woods). I'll be 63 in Dec, and am originally a California girl, with a brief stop in Arizona, then here. It's been a culture and weather shock, but my husband is amazing so I'm staying here. We have 3 cats and 5 goats, and a flock of chickens and turkeys by proxy (no fences here so the neighbor's poultry wander over here every day). There's a lot of other stuff I could tell you, but that's it for now.

@KJLaMore Thank you! I try to do a brisk walk every morning, I'm up to 1.5 miles. I live out in the middle of nowhere, so it's usually a lovely walk. Sometimes my cats join me, but they mostly try to trip me so I'll stop to pet them. I do have a kettlebell, and low-weight hand weights, and I know I have some exercises saved somewhere! I love swimming, but since I've moved here, the only place to do that is the YMCA and thanks to COVID I won't be doing that :'( I appreciate the encouragement, I'll look for that book (I think I've read something else by her).

@pipcd34 Yogi is so handsome, love his shiny coat.

@auntiebk Thank you! Would you please tell my why people put things in Spoilers? Is it an etiquette thing so it doesn't take up a lot of room in the feed? And how is it done?

@Machka9 Your tips are very helpful!

Sheri in BFE Ohio
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Dr. Katie..... So sorry to hear of your fall. I was walking with Ella on the Dungeness River and rocks were slippery and I fell flat on my face. Bruised my knees and my left shoulder but unlike you.... I ripped my brand new pants on both knees, but didn't need stitches. Hope you heal quickly.

Betsy in NW Washington

Depending on your pants, your experience may have been cheaper than mine. A $15 copay at the doctor and a $45 copay at the pharmacy for the tetanus shot would have bought me a pretty nice pair of pants!

Seriously, my two falls about a month apart are not encouraging me as I age. My jammed finger is still not well, although it is getting a little better every day. I can now bend it at the far joint. My husband just yells at me to be careful.

The garage is finished except for a couple of things. I need to make room for the lawn chairs to be stored for the winter. I have a plan but it will require moving the two biggest sets of shelves over to the left about two feet. Since the plastic liners for them won't be here until Thursday, and I have to remove the stuff on the shelves to put those down, I'll do it then. I also messed up my beautiful wall decal that said "doorbell" by putting it by the garage door opener by accident (don't know what I was thinking) so I had to go on Etsy and order new ones.

My next project is the closet. I am at the point in my Adore Your Wardrobe class where I'm supposed to work on that. I'm not quite ready to ditch my skinny jeans or my leggings and tunic tops, so I procrastinate. I get that they aren't flattering, but they are so comfortable! I think I'm going to keep 3-5 of my favorite leggings/tunic combos to wear around the house and my favorite skinny jeans as well. Honestly, does the cashier at Kroger care that I'm not balanced? I will follow my balance rules for going out when I want to look my absolute best - date night, playing bridge, church, committee meetings, etc.

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member
    Good morning peeps!

Carol - do you ever hear anything about Lenora? I'm also sending good thoughts out to Kylia, hope she and her family are doing OK.

Sheri - welcome. <3 Loved hearing about your country walk. I'll jump in and attempt to answer the spoiler question - in some cases, posting many photos takes up lots of space and depending on the device, is a lot to scroll through. Also, sometimes we get overwhelmed with Covid or other discussion which is long and perhaps off topic, so putting it in a spoiler allows folks to choose if they want to read or not. Per the MFP rules, political discussions are not OK.

Fae - I thought of you yesterday. Mega runny nose, sneezing - I wondered if this was a new and disgusting allergy. Took my temperature, a whopping 96.8 :D . But just in case it was a virus, I took an evening dose of quercetin and zinc, then popped a Zyrtec. Slept like a baby, 8 hours - first time in a long time. Feel fine this morning.

Mary - perhaps you mentioned and I zipped by it - are you still doing your kettlebells?

Karen - cute greenhouse. Ours started out similar but with a larger footprint. I recall that when the temperature dipped below 30, even with the heater going, the plants touching the plastic wall would get "bit". We are going to get into the 20's this weekend, and I need to go something with my basil and the Mandevilla which really has done amazingly well for a tropical plant. It won't like temps in the 30's.

Mandevilla early September - it really grew more this past month (maybe that big hot spell in September?) and is sending out lots of branches!:
    4temruqlg6fr.jpg

I've been doing SWSY every other day, faithfully, for the past couple weeks. Makes me feel so energized. Managed to twang my lower back yesterday so will skip today, might do the upper body though.

That's the quick and dirty. Have a great day, ladies!

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State
  • drkatiebug
    edited October 2020

I have happy financial news! I am going to pay off the rest of our mortgage on Wednesday! I can hardly believe it.

Congratulations! We paid ours off last October and it has been glorious. We were making double payments to get it paid off early so we just transferred that amount each month into the "repair and maintenance" fund. That's what has paid for our tree work that we had done in the spring and our garage and outside painting that we just had done. I also paid off my car in August of this year so we are now officially debt free. It's such a peaceful feeling. I wish I could just attack this extra weight with the same "gazelle intensity."

ETA: I just read what you posted about the mortgage burning party. I think you should know your own friends and whether or not they would consider it bragging or celebration-worthy. We didn't have a party or mention ours on FB or anything like that, mainly because we aren't party people and are fairly private with our financial business. We told my parents and our kids and one set of friends that we are really close to. I wrote about it in the financial message board that I belong to, but it is sort of the purpose of that group to celebrate getting debt-free. I say if you want to have a mortgage burning party, go for it!

• drkatiebug
    edited October 2020
    Well here i sit out the back of urgent care.. they had me come over for a covid test, and to get checked out but they are backed up so I am sitting in my car.. funny I used to park back here when I worked at the bowling alley..sure hope the dont forget about me back here..

Where I live you have to get tested from your car if you have any kind of COVID like symptoms. They come out in full hazmat gear to test you. If you are just getting tested pre-surgery or something and have no symptoms, you can go inside. And no way would they let me inside for a mammogram. You really shouldn't even consider going to your caretaking job until your results are back and negative.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Lanette

Love the mandevilla plant and used to let them climb my mail box. Can't anymore because the county stuck our mailbox in a concrete sidewalk.

Lenora and I communicate by email! She sends me cute email posts that she gets from her friends. She is working on better balance and not falling. Overall, doing very well.

Kylia is on Facebook and seems to be busy with family activities and work.

I also wonder what has happened to Amber. She was a prolific poster for a while and then disappeared.

Hoping that our Lisa will continue to find good health and return to us more often.

Allie
    I was wondering if you are feeling ill a lot lately that may you should not be around Faith.

Welcome and good wishes to all!

Carol in GA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Just had pizza lunch with Gwendolen :D We sat outside in surprisingly balmy temperatures. Lovely to see her.
    She caught the bus into town and I walked home via an organic deli my son told me about. Picked up a packet of very expensive Jamon Iberico. We will have it as a starter for our anniversary next month.
    DH not feeling his best. Was knackered just doing a small supermarket shop. He's running the car at the moment to keep the battery going.
    I nearly lost my favourite bright pink silk scarf I bought in Paris 16 years ago. Suddenly realised it had blown off my neck. Backtracked round the corner and there it was!!! Relief! B) I used it several times in the shop, station and restaurant because I had left my mask in my leggings. :o

Fish soup tonight. Easy.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • smrshealthy
    smrshealthy Posts: 237 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! A quick welcome to all of the new ladies! A particular note to:
    Mrsbfe- For a little motivation in book form; most of us have read Strong Women, Stay Young by Dr. Miriam E. Nelson (and other books in that series). It is a good place to start, with great info about our bodies at our age. Another bit of advice that comes from many in this group is to MOVE! Even short breaks of walking around your house or across the room, if that is all you are able to do, will help jump start getting your body used to movement. Find something that you enjoy. Walking, swimming, many on here lost the majority of weight and gained strength and tone by using the kettlebells. You can do this!

Love and hugs to all who need/want them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Thank you..@KJLaMore I am going to look for the book!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline,
    Bonus: one load laundry, cut in edges and painted railings while Joe painted the front deck.
    Get to do: Shadow to vet, minutes, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Thursday: call Progressive adjustor, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    19: Hopeful but realistic goals this week: stroll with friend, Shadow or Tumble to dog group.

Bleargh. wii weight up another 1.5 lbs. Ticker weight receding into the distance :grump:

Lisa take your time, we’ll be here. Sending healing vibes and hugs.
    Evelyn :love: your owl!
    Katla I could never let Joe do his own laundry. All colors jammed together in one hot water load, soap powder poured on top, then after dry crammed into any old drawer all together with no folding. I just couldn’t bear it.
    Welcome @chezzac17! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Fae what you said about this group. Truth that. Did you macramé that swim bra yourself?
    Welcome @mrsbfe . Terri shared this realistic bmi measurement site https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/ Found it both reassuring and motivating. The compassionate wisdom and varied experiences shared on this thread are also both comforting and helpful. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Annie safe travels ;)
    Pip never leave us! What would we do without your pics of Kirby and Yogi? Who would give us the boot when we need it?
    Heather I’m a little envious of your green-loving Johnny. Getting leafy greens into Joe is a challenge.
    Allie sure hope you can get in to see your Dr soon and that the endocrinologist’s office will get up off their kittens and call you.
    Margaret 18 bags of leaves! Wow!
    Tracey fingers X’d for your DH’s appointment.

Hanging clothes over the heater vents, nope but I used to love to stand over the heater in my nightie when it was blowing. Made it all toasty then quickly jumped into chilly bed. Kind of a granny version of the iconic MM over the subway grid. ;)

Both Joe and I work best by ourselves. Today we painted the front deck together. We were off to a rocky start, I wanted to tape the edges closest to the house and cut in a bit, Joe just wanted to run the roller along the edge and do it NOW. Managed not to yell or shriek but smile real big while I firmly said “I’m going to do it the way I want!” Fortunately was able to tape before Joe was ready to roll. He consented to work on the railings while I cut in. Eventually we settled into a rhythm, even chatting and joking a little. Missed a few railings and boards but all in all looks a thousand percent better. Will finish up tomorrow morning and post before and after pics. Okie, I lied. I am not the sloppiest painter in the world… ;)

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 19, weigh: 18, steps>5491=3993 vits=19 log=19 CI<CO=18 CI<250<CO=16 Tumble & Shadow 5=18 mfp=19 outside=17 up hill=17
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=13 play= sew=0

Awww , this is just habit now, wanna boot????

Ketonekarwn- it’s really hard to get a good clear facial pic of yogi, that is one of my favorite ones. I love his shiny coat and look on that face
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Just a quick hello. Will catch up in the next day or so.

I saw this on FB and had to share. I thought these were cute. I could not create a display like this here in sunny SFL. It's way too warm.

ciqcf3ea1xnl.png

And, me doing my civic duty. :smile: I got to the polls around 6:25 or so and there were only 15 people ahead of me. By the time they starting letting people in (3 at a time) there were over 50 behind me. Sometimes it pays to be an early bird! It was very clean and organized. Brand, new, never opened pens given to all, each station was cleaned after someone left, social distancing practiced, etc.

I think I look just a tad tired in this picture. It's been one of those up at 3am weeks.

78sl49zuz74w.png
  • pipcd34
    drkatiebug wrote: »

I have happy financial news! I am going to pay off the rest of our mortgage on Wednesday! I can hardly believe it.

Congratulations! We paid ours off last October and it has been glorious. We were making double payments to get it paid off early so we just transferred that amount each month into the "repair and maintenance" fund. That's what has paid for our tree work that we had done in the spring and our garage and outside painting that we just had done. I also paid off my car in August of this year so we are now officially debt free. It's such a peaceful feeling. I wish I could just attack this extra weight with the same "gazelle intensity."

ETA: I just read what you posted about the mortgage burning party. I think you should know your own friends and whether or not they would consider it bragging or celebration-worthy. We didn't have a party or mention ours on FB or anything like that, mainly because we aren't party people and are fairly private with our financial business. We told my parents and our kids and one set of friends that we are really close to. I wrote about it in the financial message board that I belong to, but it is sort of the purpose of that group to celebrate getting debt-free. I say if you want to have a mortgage burning party, go for it!

We didn’t have a mort burning party and that was way b4 this covid thing. We just smiled, and sighed
  • pipcd34
    Welcome to all new peeps in da house!! Hugs to all that need them and congrats to all that deserve them! And hey there wazzzzzuuuppppp to the rest
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    Allie - If you are feeling poorly you shouldn't be tending Faith until you are sure it's not contagious anyway, Covid or not any illnesses in the elderly is a concern.

Okie - Your painting reminds me of the first time I ever painted. My Dad had built a bus shelter for my brother and I to use to stand in waiting for the bus. Our driveway was very long and open to the wind. It was the size of an outhouse with a little bench in it and windows so we could see the bus coming. He gave my brother and I the task of painting it. We used 2 gallons of paint and got more on the ground than we did the shelter I think. My Dad laughed about that for years and years.

Pip - Yogi is living up to his name doing stretches.

I have a lot of competing deadlines today so better get to it. I will catch up again later.

Tracey in Edmonton, where we received more snow last night.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    DrKatie So glad you aren't tossing your skinny jeans and leggings. Who cares about flattering over comfort? What not we all start wearing corsets so our clothes will flatter? Cinch that waist down by a few inches. I chose comfort even when going out.

Heather Left your mask in your leggings? Never thought of it but those paper medical mask might make great emergency liners. Great tip!

Allie Around here before entering any medical facility or even the nail salon, they ask if you have ever been tested for covid. They ask if you have been around anyone with covid in the last two weeks. They ask if you have had a sore throat, runny nose, coughing, fever, or sneezing in the last two weeks. They always take temperature because it is the most important indicator. If you answer yes to a test but waiting for results, you get rejected at the door. Even with negative covid results, anyone with similar symptoms is rejected as this helps stop seasonal flu and colds from spreading. Generally, a lack of fever is a sign it is an allergy, but still most medical places don't want you sneezing from an allergy even with a mask on and in your elbow, because it makes everyone else uneasy.

Sheri I am amazed by how many people move to the country in their retirement or advanced years. I did just the opposite. Were you a California city dweller? Country living with all the chores can be a great asset to your workout. Milking goats can really build some strong hands. Sawing and splitting wood is great for the upper body. Walk everywhere you can and you will be surprised at the results. 13 acres offers a lot of hiking possibilities.

Lanette Yes, allergies can really be a pain, and now a reason for isolation. I know a young lady that has tested negative for covid several times, but her employer will not let her return to work until all symptoms are gone. She never had a fever. So glad you feel better this morning, that is a good sign. Something must have riled an allergy in you. It is really weird this year with all the allergies. I wonder if the smoke from earlier had an effect on plants and now things that never bothered us do now. Maybe it affected our lungs more than we know. Strange that in most cases it lasts only a few days.

Fae in Or

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    edited October 2020
    Ladies
    I rescheduled the mammogram to November 4th.. and if I DO have covid i will stay home...
    This is precautionary ,its more about the fatigue and breathing issues.. i should know by tomorrow.
    Ugh Jean is getting on my last nerve...and i kinda told her off.I told her I have bent over backwards for her and that i am having health issues and i will be there as scheduled on Thursday and Friday