I'm going to do 10000 situps.

my goal is a month. I've lost 15 lbs and going for 8 more. but when i finally reveal my core through the 20 yrs of fat..i want to actually see an ab there!

Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    heres my progress pic. think it'll work?gu43k0xlbvx4.png
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    You can do it! If you follow a protocol like The 10,000 Swing Kettlebell Workout, then you can do 500 situps per workout. As long as you get 20 workouts in for the month (with proper form and not messing up your lower back), then you're set!

With this protocol, you'd even do a strength movement in between (like squats, dips, chin ups, etc).

While I'm doing the original version now, if you replace every instance of "kettlebell" with "sit up" then you'll get the gist 😂
  • Cameron_1969
    there is no way i can do 500 situps in a day. maybe once but I'd be wrecked for a week.(at least to start). i was planning to start w 200 and increase. it may be more like six weeks though, which is okay. i would have to average 333 3333333333 per day to make a month..
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I'm sure you'll get it done regardless!

btw, I already see upper abs poking through so you're more than getting to goal. Keep it up and keep us posted!
  • Cameron_1969
    okay. so far ive got 30. but hey i just got snipped on friday, not supposed to be doing situps at all! (but doc didn't say i cant drink!).
  • Cameron_1969
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll get it done regardless!

btw, I already see upper abs poking through so you're more than getting to goal. Keep it up and keep us posted!
    Thanks for the encoragement. I wish that upper ab was an upper ab. lol. that will dissaoear when i lose this last 8 lbs (hopefully!)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Good luck with that! That's a lotta sit ups
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    okay. so far ive got 30. but hey i just got snipped on friday, not supposed to be doing situps at all! (but doc didn't say i cant drink!).

Abs are made in the kitchen. Sitting around drinking with a sack of frozen peas on your sack isn't going to help get visible abs :).
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    You can do it!!! Might have to break it into like 7 x 50 a day or something but you can!!

But why. Why not 2000 sit-ups, 2000 tuckups, 2000 flutter kicks, 2000 Russian twists and 2000 candlesticks? Or something like that to work uppers, lowers, obliques etc. Your upper abs are already through and sit-ups mainly work the uppers.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    You can do it!!! Might have to break it into like 7 x 50 a day or something but you can!!

But why. Why not 2000 sit-ups, 2000 tuckups, 2000 flutter kicks, 2000 Russian twists and 2000 candlesticks? Or something like that to work uppers, lowers, obliques etc. Your upper abs are already through and sit-ups mainly work the uppers.

I like this. Why focus on one specific exercise when you can work more than one area? Less chance of an injury perhaps too.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I would strongly recommend planks.. Front, side, twists, jumping jack... That and boxing is what made my abs really pop back in the day.

The abs are still there... They're just in witness protection for now.
  • VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    I agree with some of the others. I wouldn't use just one exercise that much. You need balance with multiple abdominal exercises.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    1000 sit-ups seems like a recipe for a back injury. As others have pointed out there are many safer exercises you could do to help with those abs.

If you really want to do sit-ups though, 1000 is still completely unnecessary. Do you have any weights you could use? You could hold a 45 lb plate while doing those sit-ups to add some resistance in and make the muscles work more. I still STRONGLY caution being careful with form on the sit-ups though as it is fairly common for people to get back injuries from them.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Find a good chiropractor first. Hollow body holds and dumbbell pullovers would work great.
  • Theoldguy1

To be honest if you want to do 10k setups in a month and 'so far I got 30" you may need some more conditioning before going for 10k in a month.

As others have mentioned though, personally don't think that's a very good goal.
  • Theoldguy1
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    1000 sit-ups seems like a recipe for a back injury. As others have pointed out there are many safer exercises you could do to help with those abs.

If you really want to do sit-ups though, 1000 is still completely unnecessary. Do you have any weights you could use? You could hold a 45 lb plate while doing those sit-ups to add some resistance in and make the muscles work more. I still STRONGLY caution being careful with form on the sit-ups though as it is fairly common for people to get back injuries from them.

Traditional sit ups are hard on the back in many cases, why would you suggest loading them?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

Traditional sit ups are hard on the back in many cases, why would you suggest loading them?

If the OP is insistent on doing them, rather than doing 1000 of them where you are guaranteed to NOT have proper form attempting to do so many, doing far fewer loaded ones with proper form would help avoid the injury.

I think people have made suggestions of better exercises that would be more useful for the purpose of building abs. My guess to the 1000 is the desire to overload to build said abs. Again, adding weight and doing fewer sit-ups would be a better idea IF this person decides they MUST stick with sit-ups.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I also support lesser volume, more weight. Try using a 10lb medicine ball.

Lay on the floor, knees bent with arms outstretched holding the ball. As you sit up, bring the ball over and up to your chest and then tap the floor in front of your feet. As you return back to the initial starting position, move the ball to tap it on the floor above your head again.

Also try Russian twists with tapping the ball on each side of you. Killer ab workout and way less repetition.

Leg raises will also work the lower abs.
    If you want that six pack (after losing the fat that hides them), you want to be sure to be working all parts of the ab muscles... Sit-ups tend to only really work the top four.

Twists and side planks work the oblique, leg raises work lower abs. Etc.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Your poor spine! 😯