What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    So here's mine:

LIVER
    Rotten food
    "Healthy" foods that taste like trash.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • I have to clarify; if I have 250 extra calories, would I use them on nuts or soda? No way, because I wouldn’t enjoy those foods as much as say, a chocolate covered caramel. But all baked goods are worth every calorie. It’s worth skipping breakfast so I can use spend those calories on pie, or something like that. I absolutely love carbs! Except pasta, that I wouldn’t mind not having again. It must be my German ancestry in me.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    any regular supermarket items made from their bakery department. Certainly not worth the calories...usually not tasting very good anyways (have you tasted a Safeway croissant or that 'frosting' on their cakes?😖)

agree... bakery muffins are usually pretty solid thoguh
  • pancakerunner
    Jello or pudding that isn't sugar free.
  • pancakerunner
    edited October 2020
    most fried foods. Especially fried vegetables
  • pancakerunner
    pumpkin or pecan pie

I think pumpkin pie is worth it (minus the crust)... pecan pie is def not worth it for me. Just sugar!
  • ninerbuff
    senalay788 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So here's mine:

LIVER
    Rotten food
    "Healthy" foods that taste like trash.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What does trash taste like? Seriously question. Does it matter if its in a compost pile or recycling?
    Obviously not a fan of sarcasm. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    ALL FOODS are worth the calories of you actually like to eat something and enjoy it. It's only NOT WORTH it if you ate it and DIDN'T like it.
    The issue here is people blame high calorie foods for their demise and weight gain. It's not the food's FAULT. It's the LACK OF DISCIPLINE from the person. Not being able to STOP CONSUMPTION is a discipline thing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think what we are talking about here is the grey area that exists between enjoying something and not liking something.
    There are plenty of foods that I think are just "okay". I don't DISLIKE them, but I'd hold short of saying I ENJOY them.

The foods that fall into that category that are also very calorie-dense are the ones I don't bother with anymore.

We're not really talking about discipline, or foods we can't moderate. It's more of an awareness that's been reached about calories and how to spend them in a way that gives you maximum enjoyment.
    When we're talking worth, it's going to be subjective. For example the cost to go to Disneyland for a day is high. For some people it's worth it for some it's not dependent on the enjoyment factor for them as a person.
    It's why I say ALL FOODS are worth it if you enjoy it. I wouldn't say forcing yourself to eat a "healthy" food you despise is worth it.
    The problem is (if I'm going to use Disneyland) is that if you overextend yourself on these foods, you get into trouble. Overspending on Disneyland puts you in a hole. Same for overeating high calorie foods. But to say a high calorie food that's enjoyable to you isn't worth it is really just a lack of discipline in learning how to moderate it. It's why people BINGE OUT when they feel they have a chance to then feel horrible later.
    It's why I don't endorse any dieting to any of my clients. Diets only work for 10% of people successfully long term. The other 90% regain lost weight because they CAN'T stay on them and go back to the foods they enjoy that before "weren't worth the calories" but somehow are now.
    Weight control is a learned behavior and you can eat anything you want as long as you know how to discipline yourself.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course it's subjective.

OP asked
    But I am curious, what foods are just not worth the # of calories to you?

The whole thread is by definition intended to be subjective.

Edited to fix my coding syntax error that screwed up the nesting.
    I focused on the title of the thread and skipped fully reading the OP's opening statement. So my bad.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No problem. There do seem to be at least two different views of what the thread is about. A majority seem to have taken it as I did, and as I think from the OP (not the thread title) it was meant, which is just a fun "what foods do you think aren't worth the calories, because you could spend your calories on something better/tastier." Then there are a few posts that seem to think that other people are demonizing specific foods and saying nobody should eat them. There are a couple of posts that are unclear and might actually be demonizing specific foods and saying nobody should eat them. I'm surprised it hasn't turned into something more vitriolic. :smile:
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Donuts.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Donuts.

Ok. NOW it's time to take it outside. :D
  • ninerbuff
    Donuts.
    Oh yeah, I'm eating donuts. Especially a chocolate covered eclair. Heaven.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • pancakerunner
    pumpkin or pecan pie

I think pumpkin pie is worth it (minus the crust)... pecan pie is def not worth it for me. Just sugar!

Pie crust! I forgot pie crust. In my experience, at least 90% of all pie crust, even homemade, is really not worth the calories. I could spend the crust calories on another slice worth of filling. Of course, if it's homemade, I don't do that, because I don't want to hurt the baker's feelings.

Agreed. Graham cracker crust or gtfo!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Deep dish pizza. Thin crusts only for me please.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Cookies and candies are not worth the calories, I would rather save the calories for wine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Donuts.
    Oh yeah, I'm eating donuts. Especially a chocolate covered eclair. Heaven.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I go for the Boston cream donut. Pretty much the same thing in a slightly smaller package. ... But then I end up having a second one. :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    pumpkin or pecan pie

Pie crust! I forgot pie crust. In my experience, at least 90% of all pie crust, even homemade, is really not worth the calories. I could spend the crust calories on another slice worth of filling. Of course, if it's homemade, I don't do that, because I don't want to hurt the baker's feelings.

I also like the chocolate wafer crumb (I guess they're Oreo crumbs). And I've made a "crust" from ginger snaps that's pretty good.
  • pancakerunner
    Full sugar ice cream
  • pancakerunner
    pumpkin or pecan pie

I also like the chocolate wafer crumb (I guess they're Oreo crumbs). And I've made a "crust" from ginger snaps that's pretty good.

Yep! Any kind of crust like that is good. which is why I like cheesecake, BK hershey's pie, etc.