What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Whole wheat pasta w grated zucchini, chopped walnuts, cream, EVOO, black pepper, broth, and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.4td4ee760ru2.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    That's a very pretty dish, @snowflake954 Beautiful.
  • snowflake954
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    That's a very pretty dish, @snowflake954 Beautiful.

Why thank you! <3
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Meatloaf, sweet potatoes, and green beans.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    My mom's ginger and scallion contact fried fish, Vietnamese grilled aubergine salad, Vietnamese quick pickled carrots, rice.
    z1zeqm4od03f.jpeg
  • activeadriana
    activeadriana Posts: 70 Member
    White cheddar macaroni with tuna mixed in 😋
  • snowflake954
    Pasta w garlic, EVOO, and red pepper--an Italian classic. I also threw in some chopped tomatoes.o1re9ac36630.jpg
  • acpgee
    Lunch of instant ramen pimped with chopped leftover grilled aubergine from last night and and some hispi cabbge stir fried with a chinese sausage.
    j7hsagbka62h.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    Saffron risotto.r6dmeeiip1w8.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I started some homemade beef vegetable soup early this morning with every kind of vegetable. I made some cornbread to go with it and all of it will be ready in two shakes. I don't put sugar in my cornbread because after all, it's not cake. I use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet to bake the cornbread in. Real butter for the cornbread.
  • snowflake954
    Roasted cauliflower, wild chicory.tvh48k85kgub.jpg
    w4hw9obf3i7o.jpg
    og9z30dfh14d.jpg
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I only post in this thread when I make a disaster, lol.

Anyway, I made some stew last night and it turned out pretty bad. The vegetables are fine, the sauce... eh, I used canned tomato sauce because I'm lazy so it's pretty sugary and nasty, but the seasonings, dill and garlic I added mostly balance it out so it's okay.

But the meat is just... not good. The acidity didn't break it down nearly as much as it should have, the seasonings didn't seep in at all and the meat wasn't the best quality to begin with. In short, it tastes like bland, tough, boiled low-grade beef :s

Not sure what went wrong... Pork usually treats me better than beef but it's harder to find stew pork meat. Here's hoping it'll improve as leftovers...
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited October 2020
    Ground turkey taco salad ...with avocado, light sour cream, shredded mexican cheese, light ranch dressing, cherry tomatoes and mild taco bell sauce....yum! 430 calories
    e55l54o6neze.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    Slacker16 wrote: »

Anyway, I made some stew last night and it turned out pretty bad. The vegetables are fine, the sauce... eh, I used canned tomato sauce because I'm lazy so it's pretty sugary and nasty, but the seasonings, dill and garlic I added mostly balance it out so it's okay.

But the meat is just... not good. The acidity didn't break it down nearly as much as it should have, the seasonings didn't seep in at all and the meat wasn't the best quality to begin with. In short, it tastes like bland, tough, boiled low-grade beef :s

Not sure what went wrong... Pork usually treats me better than beef but it's harder to find stew pork meat. Here's hoping it'll improve as leftovers...

Don't worry, all of us have cooking disasters--I've had too many to count. They are all learning experiences. Have you looked up on internet how to stew beef? I'm having fun and learning from all the videos and recipes out there. Try again. Don't give up.
  • acpgee
    Slacker16 wrote: »

It's hard to find really good quality, well marbled stewing meat. My hubby likes shin for making curries. If good stewing meats are hard to find in the shops near you, consider investing in a sous vide machine. The modern ones are a staff maybe 12 inches long and 2 inches thick that you stick into a pasta pan full of water. They only take as much room to store as a hand blender. Great for rescuing tough cuts of meat. Turns crap cuts like eye of round into a nice roast and lean tough cuts into good stews if you don't mind it going for a few hours.
  • acpgee
    Starter of salad of grilled pineapple and red onion with a little mint. Main was my first attempt at pho from scratch.
    rf58b4ybihv1.jpeg
    ffwhdfjy4lk9.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    Basmatic rice w wilted radicchio, Speck (salty dry ham sliced thin), EVOO, white wine and black pepper.ia5e6g4fej79.jpg
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Meal prep:
    d0kizvofu2dd.jpg
    Lasagna and mixed vegetables.
  • Southernfit87
    Southernfit87 Posts: 39 Member
    Chicken and sausage gumbo!