What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Soda, fruit juice, potato chips, beer and wine, supermarket sliced bread, French fries
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Anything deliciously baked from the bakery's
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    And pasta for me! It's the only thing I try to stay away from, i could eat the whole pot and still be hungry! (Unless it's cheese filled tortellini- those are worth it)
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    hazeleni wrote: »
    And pasta for me! It's the only thing I try to stay away from, i could eat the whole pot and still be hungry! (Unless it's cheese filled tortellini- those are worth it)

agreed!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    most fried foods. Especially fried vegetables

Excepting fried green tomatoes and fried okra, properly made, of course.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Donuts.
    Oh yeah, I'm eating donuts. Especially a chocolate covered eclair. Heaven.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I go for the Boston cream donut. Pretty much the same thing in a slightly smaller package. ... But then I end up having a second one. :smile:

:D:D:D
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    most fried foods. Especially fried vegetables

Excepting fried green tomatoes and fried okra, properly made, of course.

For me, kakiage is worth the calories.

https://norecipes.com/kakiage-recipe/
  • mnbell2013
    mnbell2013 Posts: 45 Member
    edited October 2020
    Most coffee shop drinks. The "refresher" drinks at Starbucks are among my favorite for this reason.

Nuts

Trail mix

Peanut butter

Granola

Sandwich bread

Yogurt

Soda

Ice cream
  • pancakerunner
    mnbell2013 wrote: »
    Most coffee shop drinks. The "refresher" drinks at Starbucks are among my favorite for this reason.

Nuts

Trail mix

Peanut butter

Granola

Sandwich bread

Yogurt

Soda

Ice cream

Granola is just plain silly imo
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    mnbell2013 wrote: »

Nuts

Trail mix

Peanut butter

Granola

Sandwich bread

Yogurt

Soda

Ice cream

Granola is just plain silly imo

I bought a granola at Ottolenghi's from the delicatessen after eating at one of his restaurants. The most delicious granola ever, more dessert than breakfast. It was also outrageously expensive at £7.50 for a 500g bag. Then I found a blogger who typed in the recipe for it from one of his cookbooks. I put it in the recipe builder and discovered a 50g serving was 460 kcal without milk.

http://tastypi.blogspot.com/2012/08/ottolenghis-granola.html
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Any food that is not filling and makes you want more!
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    potato chips, way overrated
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    muszyngr wrote: »

I agree. Pretzels too, unless coated with peanut butter and/or chocolate. Along with cheez-it's and cheese doodles, just cheese flavored cardboard JMO
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Anything sweet. I prefer savory and have been known to order 2nd steak and skip dessert.
  • pancakerunner
    muszyngr wrote: »

Agreed. I do like wavy chips, but only on occasion/
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    edited October 2020
    @sardelsa......my response was based on those who had already posted. My best practice when I’m most successful. I have a slow metabolism, and have to be very deliberate. My maintenance is 1500 cals a day. Take what you want, leave what you don’t. This was an opinion question, not sure the disagreement #s. It works very well for me. High protein in the am. Occasional small portion of chocolate to ward off sweet craving, and avoid dense carbs that add up too fast. I have to stick to 1200 cals to loose very slowly. I’m 48 and sit for very long work hours. I water jog almost daily in the am for about 45 mins. During Covid went off the wagon and gained (that and no pool). Pool is open, I’m logging again and weight loss is back on. I always appreciate the perspectives of what works for people. These were mine and I listed what wasn’t worth the cals for me, and some that was in contrast to others. I’ve lost about 36 lbs from my high. Cheers.

@ninerbuff on the rare occasion if I have fries, they must be hot - I refuse tepid fries. High cal items for me must he high quality or just as I want it - or why bother.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    edited October 2020
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    any regular supermarket items made from their bakery department. Certainly not worth the calories...usually not tasting very good anyways (have you tasted a Safeway croissant or that 'frosting' on their cakes?😖)

The 2 oz of pecan pie I had today was amazing from a supermarket. I ate it with berries. However that is pretty much a doll size portion. I don’t eat many sweets so it was pretty amazing. Eating berries with it made the experience last a little longer.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Regular/full fat ice cream
    supermarket 'sad' sandwich bread
    sour cream/full fat cream cheese
    mayo (hate it anyways)
    fruit juices
    sodas
    Starbuck-type specialty beverages
    potato chips
    donuts
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Regular/full fat ice cream
    supermarket 'sad' sandwich bread
    sour cream/full fat cream cheese
    mayo (hate it anyways)
    fruit juices
    sodas
    Starbuck-type specialty beverages
    potato chips
    donuts

On sour cream, depends on how you are using. If it is in a recipe low fat is fine, but if it is the main thing I cannot STAND low fat