Are carbs the enemy?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited October 2020
    gisem17 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    And yet, the fact that you never want to discuss is that there can be no NET fat gain (insulin spikes or not) as long as the person is eating in a deficit. The body is constantly storing and breaking down fat throughout the day regardless of the mix of food that the person is eating.

It is hard to be "eating in a deficit" if you are constantly binging on high carb, high fat foods.

You can eat a high-ish carb diet and not eat a lot of high carb/high fat foods, let alone binge on them. When I was experimenting with mostly WFPB eating, I was eating a much higher carb diet than normal, but I did not binge and I lost weight (because I also ate at a deficit).

You can also eat some high carb/high fat foods without binging on them. (If the issue is trigger foods and binging, that's something to work on, but obviously lots of people losing weight fit in high carb/high fat foods from time to time. I often had 200 cal of ice cream or gelato when I was losing, if I'd exercised and it fit in my cals.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    gisem17 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    And yet, the fact that you never want to discuss is that there can be no NET fat gain (insulin spikes or not) as long as the person is eating in a deficit. The body is constantly storing and breaking down fat throughout the day regardless of the mix of food that the person is eating.

It is hard to be "eating in a deficit" if you are constantly binging on high carb, high fat foods.

Are we talking about someone who is "constantly binging"? I thought we were talking about whether or not these foods had to be completely eliminated (as another poster claimed) in order to lose weight.

Important point. As a reminder, here is the OP:
    I need honest answers, everywhere I turn, I'm seeing that carbs are evil, that they alone will ruin my weight loss.

My diet is high carb and I would love to reduce that but to completely rule it out, is it the only way? Is it the best way?

I don't know where to start?

So -- to the person who referenced binging (not the OP), no, no or low carb is not the only way to lose weight, and high carb diets can be healthful and not made up of excessive amounts of low nutrient so-called hyperpalatable high carb/high fat treats.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Insulin is produced according to the natural function of the body to help nutrients get where they need to go.
    Not if you have pre-diabetes and/or insulin resistance, which is quite common in obese people.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/how-low-carb-diets-work.html
    Insulin is the key player. Too high levels of insulin in the body leads to insulin resistance and then prediabetes followed by type 2 diabetes.

The way to improve prediabetes and type 2 diabetes is to reduce insulin resistance and this can be achieved by reducing carbohydrate (and protein if you have a high protein diet). Reducing carb intake reduces the amount of insulin circulating in the body and this works to reduce insulin resistance.

The reason many people with type 2 diabetes are overweight is because they are producing very high levels of insulin and a key role of insulin is to store body fat.

You’ll see that insulin is therefore responsible for both weight gain and insulin resistance.

• mariomicro
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Asians in Asian eat a lot of carbs (based on income). There aren't a lot of fat Asians per capita based on population. Carbs aren't the issue. OVERCONSUMPTION IS.

Yet, despite not being overweight, they are at higher risk of becoming diabetic because they" are more likely to have less muscle and more abdominal fat, which increases insulin resistance".

https://asiandiabetesprevention.org/what-is-diabetes/why-are-asians-higher-risk
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Asians in Asian eat a lot of carbs (based on income). There aren't a lot of fat Asians per capita based on population. Carbs aren't the issue. OVERCONSUMPTION IS.

Yet, despite not being overweight, they are at higher risk of becoming diabetic because they" are more likely to have less muscle and more abdominal fat, which increases insulin resistance".

https://asiandiabetesprevention.org/what-is-diabetes/why-are-asians-higher-risk

Are you saying there is nothing that individuals can do to increase their muscle and reduce abdominal fat BUT limit carbohydrates?

I don't know how you can extrapolate that from what I've said.