Are carbs the enemy?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    mariomicro wrote: »
    mariomicro wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Asians in Asian eat a lot of carbs (based on income). There aren't a lot of fat Asians per capita based on population. Carbs aren't the issue. OVERCONSUMPTION IS.

Yet, despite not being overweight, they are at higher risk of becoming diabetic because they" are more likely to have less muscle and more abdominal fat, which increases insulin resistance".

https://asiandiabetesprevention.org/what-is-diabetes/why-are-asians-higher-risk

Are you saying there is nothing that individuals can do to increase their muscle and reduce abdominal fat BUT limit carbohydrates?

I don't know how you can extrapolate that from what I've said.

Bearing in mind you have dieted down to a BMI of 20 and are really dissatisfied with your body maybe a little humility might be in order?

"My current BMI is about 20, but my belly looks horrible, as there is some extra stubborn fat hanging just below the belly."
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/45422999#Comment_45422999

You really are an example of someone who needs to learn rather than teach!
    Your knowledge of how bodies actually work is badly flawed and seems based on total woo - Fung perhaps?

Kl5xJhn.gif
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @SayNoToCakes You've gotten some really good advice here. Best ever.

We all have to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. We can be down a little or down alot. If we can't spot the fish at the poker table then it's usually us. When you're playing high stakes poker with seasoned players they'll say...'Hey Joe, bring us another live one to the table' because they'll buffalo themselves right out the game. It's a learning curve and we all have to start somewhere.
  • PaulFrancis7878
    PaulFrancis7878 Posts: 8 Member
    Excess carbs not used for energy are the enemy. Depends on how much you are burning everyday through activity.
  • PaulFrancis7878
    PaulFrancis7878 Posts: 8 Member
    Excess carbs not used for energy are the enemy. Depends on how much you are burning everyday through activity.

No - excess CALORIES not used for energy are the enemy - (if you are trying to lose weight.)

Carbs are calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    gisem17 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    And yet, the fact that you never want to discuss is that there can be no NET fat gain (insulin spikes or not) as long as the person is eating in a deficit. The body is constantly storing and breaking down fat throughout the day regardless of the mix of food that the person is eating.

It is hard to be "eating in a deficit" if you are constantly binging on high carb, high fat foods.

You're also not eating in a deficit if you're constantly binging on high protein food, or high fat food. So what? The solution is not to binge. Hence having an appropriate deficit and eating the kind of food that works for the individual person. There's no one size fits all.
  • Lawcher
    Lawcher Posts: 9 Member
    Depends on you health if you’ve diabeties or pcos plus lots are carb sensitive - if I eat an over loads carbs I gain lots water weight and it then takes weeks to lose all of it
  • gisem17
    gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    gisem17 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    And yet, the fact that you never want to discuss is that there can be no NET fat gain (insulin spikes or not) as long as the person is eating in a deficit. The body is constantly storing and breaking down fat throughout the day regardless of the mix of food that the person is eating.

It is hard to be "eating in a deficit" if you are constantly binging on high carb, high fat foods.

You're also not eating in a deficit if you're constantly binging on high protein food, or high fat food. So what? The solution is not to binge. Hence having an appropriate deficit and eating the kind of food that works for the individual person. There's no one size fits all.

High protein food doesn't trigger a binge. The point is, for some people, like me, some foods are trigger foods. I thought those were high carb foods, I stand corrected, they are high-carb high-fat foods. Regardless, they are trigger foods and trigger foods need to be avoided if I stand a chance to lose weight. They are the enemy. Even when I indulge in a healthy portion, it never ends well.
  • gisem17
    gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
    edited October 2020
    The solution is not to binge.
    That is not the solution, that is the problem. The solution is to identify the reason behind binge eating and address that. And that is unique for each individual. I can only offer my experience and hope it helps someone who is experiencing something similar.
    There's no one size fits all.
    I agree.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    They're the enemy of crappy performance, looking depleted and cravings. (See what I did there?) 😂
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

The issue isn't that they're carbohydrates, the issue is that they're calories you're not using.