Are carbs the enemy?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    They're the enemy of crappy performance, looking depleted and cravings. (See what I did there?) 😂

Someone disagrees with you :D (wasn't me)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    gisem17 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    And yet, the fact that you never want to discuss is that there can be no NET fat gain (insulin spikes or not) as long as the person is eating in a deficit. The body is constantly storing and breaking down fat throughout the day regardless of the mix of food that the person is eating.

It is hard to be "eating in a deficit" if you are constantly binging on high carb, high fat foods.

You're also not eating in a deficit if you're constantly binging on high protein food, or high fat food. So what? The solution is not to binge. Hence having an appropriate deficit and eating the kind of food that works for the individual person. There's no one size fits all.

High protein food doesn't trigger a binge. The point is, for some people, like me, some foods are trigger foods. I thought those were high carb foods, I stand corrected, they are high-carb high-fat foods. Regardless, they are trigger foods and trigger foods need to be avoided if I stand a chance to lose weight. They are the enemy. Even when I indulge in a healthy portion, it never ends well.

FOR YOU. It doesn't trigger a binge for you. That doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who are triggered by high protein foods or high fat foods. A trigger food is going to be very individual.

What does any of this have to do with OP, who hasn't shared anything about having BED or even disordered eating?

Exactly. I know I tend to defend cars as I'm a carb girl (currently eating a dinner which is over 50% carbs, and is utterly delicious. But it keeps me very full and happy. If I had a big chunk of meat I'd not feel so happy. Something very high in fat would trigger a binge because I'd still be hungry. But yeah, each their own.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Thank you everyone.

I've had some really great answers here and I've learnt a lot. I'm not going to cut out carbs but to make sure that I eat the right kind of carbs and in deficit.

I didn't mean to cause a debate of any kind, so I'm sorry for that. I'm doing well so far, very early days but I'm happy that I can still eat my pasta and slim down ☺

You didn't, so don't you worry about that. Everything about food is simple and complex at the same time.
    We could talk about it until the cows come home and go back out again. The conversation will never end. If it did, we'd all go home and it would be Goodbye Kitty and that's all she wrote.

We are bent on survival. I would eat pine cones, dirt and old tennis shoes if I had to. I can throw a meal together at the local gas station. Our body is the best friend we'll ever have in this life and food is our fuel. We might as well enjoy the ride but some of us have to get off the merry-go-round at one time or another. I did.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Thank you everyone.

I've had some really great answers here and I've learnt a lot. I'm not going to cut out carbs but to make sure that I eat the right kind of carbs and in deficit.

I didn't mean to cause a debate of any kind, so I'm sorry for that. I'm doing well so far, very early days but I'm happy that I can still eat my pasta and slim down ☺

Excellent! (And the debate is not a bad thing IMO, but also totally not your fault, don't be sorry.) Glad you are doing well and still able to eat your pasta too.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    mariomicro wrote: »
    To say the carbs are the enemy is too simplistic.
    Correct...
    Do you need to lose weight or just fat?
    Does not matter...
    Do you also do intermittent fasting?
    Does not matter...
    Keto helped me stick to my goals
    Perfectly acceptable reason to do keto...

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    edited October 2020
    yirara wrote: »
    They're the enemy of crappy performance, looking depleted and cravings. (See what I did there?) 😂

Someone disagrees with you :D (wasn't me)

I'm sure lots of people do and that's ok. It is, and was meant to be, only my opinion (and a dash of humor) with regards to my own experience.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @SayNoToCakes Don't you just love it. I do. Debates and woos, disagrees and you. It makes this place tick. We all take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. So long now.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    And yet, the fact that you never want to discuss is that there can be no NET fat gain (insulin spikes or not) as long as the person is eating in a deficit. The body is constantly storing and breaking down fat throughout the day regardless of the mix of food that the person is eating.

It is hard to be "eating in a deficit" if you are constantly binging on high carb, high fat foods.

100% false actually. You can eat in a deficit regardless of how many of a certain macro you eat. You can even “binge” and stay within your calorie goal overall for the week if you saved calories from previous days.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

100% false actually. You can eat in a deficit regardless of how many of a certain macro you eat. You can even “binge” and stay within your calorie goal overall for the week if you saved calories from previous days.

I think it's true that it is difficult to consistently eat at a deficit if you're constantly binging on high calorie foods (which any food high in both carbohydrates and fat would likely be). Would it be impossible? No, I'm sure we can construct scenarios where someone could still manage to do it. But that path is much harder than the path of creating a deficit when one isn't in the midst of active BED.

The point is that constant binges have nothing to do with OP's question about a high carbohydrate diet.
  • Dogmom1978

I think it's true that it is difficult to consistently eat at a deficit if you're constantly binging on high calorie foods (which any food high in both carbohydrates and fat would likely be). Would it be impossible? No, I'm sure we can construct scenarios where someone could still manage to do it. But that path is much harder than the path of creating a deficit when one isn't in the midst of active BED.

The point is that constant binges have nothing to do with OP's question about a high carbohydrate diet.

Yes, I’m aware that the OP says nothing about binging, I’m just pointing out one could binge if one planned it throughout their week, such as for a special event.
  • janejellyroll

Yes, I’m aware that the OP says nothing about binging, I’m just pointing out one could binge if one planned it throughout their week, such as for a special event.

I think you're using "binge" in the sense of "eating a larger amount of food than one usually does." The person talking about binges seems to be using it in the sense of an eating disorder, a sort of compulsive behavior. For lots of people with this kind of eating disorder, pre-planning a binge isn't something that can really happen and it would be very difficult to bank sufficient calories for the calorie intake typically associated with binges without seriously compromising their health. Keep in mind that the very nature of a binge is going to seriously compromise any effort to accurately estimate calories consumed during the period in question. Additionally, the person does mention "constantly" engaging in this behavior, which would further compromise any efforts to bank calories.

Are there ways to make the calories work? I mean, maybe, at least in some situations. But anyone who is starving themselves to somehow maintain a deficit while frequently binging (in the ED sense) is going to be on a roller coaster of restriction and likely failing to meet some basic nutritional needs. This would be a pretty rough way to live.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I’m just pointing out one could binge if one planned it throughout their week, such as for a special event.

I don't think advising someone to binge is a good idea...

• Dogmom1978
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I’m just pointing out one could binge if one planned it throughout their week, such as for a special event.

I don't think advising someone to binge is a good idea...

Literally no one was advising anyone to “binge”. My point was simply that you COULD binge occasionally and STILL lose weight if it is a planned and controlled binge.
  • Dogmom1978
    If you lack control and binge on everything in sight repeatedly, no, I don’t see how you could remain in a deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    If you lack control and binge on everything in sight repeatedly, no, I don’t see how you could remain in a deficit.

Yes, it's literally a eating disorder. That's the point that was being made above, that frequent binges make it incredibly challenging to manage one's weight.

It's more complicated than "lacking control." It's a mental illness, one for which there are some treatment options. We wouldn't ask someone who was struggling with other forms of compulsive behavior to just "get some control" because we understand that mental illness isn't chosen, it's not a form of personal failure, and that treatment can make a huge difference in quality of life. Same thing here.
  • Dogmom1978

Yes, it's literally a eating disorder. That's the point that was being made above, that frequent binges make it incredibly challenging to manage one's weight.

It's more complicated than "lacking control." It's a mental illness, one for which there are some treatment options. We wouldn't ask someone who was struggling with other forms of compulsive behavior to just "get some control" because we understand that mental illness isn't chosen, it's not a form of personal failure, and that treatment can make a huge difference in quality of life. Same thing here.

What everyone seems to be missing is I was responding to someone else who randomly mentioned carbs and binging together...

And people CAN binge like once a year for example (I’m guilty on Christmas; I’ll eat everything in sight for the whole day, but I KNOW I’m going to binge, so I store up extra calories ahead of time). Some people binge because of a mental issue that needs to be treated and some people plan binges for special occasions. You are putting a connotation on the word “binge” that ISNT there in my context.

Binge eating = consuming large quantities of food very quickly, even when not hungry, and to the point of being uncomfortable.

I agree if someone does this often, they should seek treatment. Again, I was only responding to someone else who claimed that no one could binge and be in a deficit and some other nonsense about carbs being the devil.