Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Longevity benefits of periodic fasting? (eg- monthly)

2»

Replies

• PaulFrancis7878
    PaulFrancis7878 Posts: 8 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Starving is starving and fasting is not starving.

1) Speeds up metabolism.
    2) Improved brain function.
    3) Longer life.
    4) Improves insulin sensitivity.
    5) Promotes longetivity.
    6) Allows you to experience real hunger (some people will swear they're dying after a few hours with no food but it's probably because they've never actually been truly hungry).
    7) Improves eating patterns.
    8) Improves your immune system.
    9) Contributes to self-enlightenment.
    10) Helps clear the skin.

1. there is a very minor boost up to 24/28 hours, but then it falls off a cliff
    2. subjective - who says their brain is working better and how do you prove something like that?
    3. unproven in humans
    4. so does simply losing weight and controlling the amount of sugar you consume
    5. same as number 3 (longevity and longer life mean the same thing)
    6. what is the benefit to this?
    7. subjective again
    8. citation needed
    9. huh?
    10. citation need for this as well

The only thing - insulin sensitivity - that you can prove as a result of fasting can be achieved thru other means so why would you bother with the fasting???

You don't believe in much of anything do you? All smoke and mirrors I guess. I could list the "citations" for you all day long that explain the benefits of fasting periodically. But it wouldn't matter so I won't waste my time here. They are out there if anyone wants to do the research.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Starving is starving and fasting is not starving.

1) Speeds up metabolism.
    2) Improved brain function.
    3) Longer life.
    4) Improves insulin sensitivity.
    5) Promotes longetivity.
    6) Allows you to experience real hunger (some people will swear they're dying after a few hours with no food but it's probably because they've never actually been truly hungry).
    7) Improves eating patterns.
    8) Improves your immune system.
    9) Contributes to self-enlightenment.
    10) Helps clear the skin.

1. there is a very minor boost up to 24/28 hours, but then it falls off a cliff
    2. subjective - who says their brain is working better and how do you prove something like that?
    3. unproven in humans
    4. so does simply losing weight and controlling the amount of sugar you consume
    5. same as number 3 (longevity and longer life mean the same thing)
    6. what is the benefit to this?
    7. subjective again
    8. citation needed
    9. huh?
    10. citation need for this as well

The only thing - insulin sensitivity - that you can prove as a result of fasting can be achieved thru other means so why would you bother with the fasting???

You don't believe in much of anything do you? All smoke and mirrors I guess. I could list the "citations" for you all day long that explain the benefits of fasting periodically. But it wouldn't matter so I won't waste my time here. They are out there if anyone wants to do the research.

I believe in science - post your citations that show the benefits in humans (not rat studies or yeast models) and I could change my mind. I have looked for such things and aside from anecdotal nonsense, I have yet to see any of these 'studies' that the folks on the other side of this argument keep trying to say exist.