Weight No More - October 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• kirsten11872
    kirsten11872 Posts: 519 Member
    Hello all!

@goingape thanks! I am feeling good, but nervous about maintenance. It is hard!

@1theresamcvean I am so sorry about the puppy, so sad!!

@sleepymom5 getting old definitely sucks! I have not worked out the past few days & the swelling went down, it is not bothering me as much, but I need to workout.

Got back on track yesterday after a few days of poor eating & the scale moving in the wrong direction, but I refuse to go backwards. I am down a pound since yesterday so that makes me happy.

I am thinking of going to the gym tonight, I have not been there since March (pre Rona). I think the elliptical might be ok on my knee since it is not too hard on the joints. I just do not know if I can last too long wearing a mask.

Have a good day! :smiley:
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    @sleepymom5
    Hope your knee starts feeling better. It's ni fun to be hurting. The Naproxen I was on did help some but you're right, I should probably call the doctor and see if anything else might help.
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 944 Member
    kandi3570 wrote: »
    @sleepymom5. Lol im sorry for the confusion about who had a green thumb. It’s sometimes hard to keep everyone straight when we’ve never met. But I just read that post wrong.

Perhaps you've inspired someone to have a green thumb :wink:
  • 1theresamcvean
    @Freeglerock & @sleepymom5
    correction, I do not have a green thumb. Daylilies are extreeeemely easy. I'm told, if planted, the bulbs sitting in my shop the last 18 months with no light or water would grow. I'm only good at killing weeds. I've killed multiple basil plants, rosemary and mint. I currently have a mint plant named Lazurus...because I kill it and well, it comes back. Also, ivy--but that was on purpose, we had a substantial disagreement on appropriate vine behavior.

Also... @1theresamcvean , I second (third, fourth, fifth?...lost count) the puppy condolences...sometimes they are just too tiny to thrive.

Thanks for the well wishes for the puppy, Melanie. Bella was the runt of the litter and she tried really hard to stay with us. There are two more puppies who were full-sized are thriving as well as any puppy could thrive. They will be hardy little Morkies.

As for the green thumb, you are on par with the plants you mentioned. I love the name Lazarus for the mint. Mint counts as highly invasive in many locales. I think you are a much better gardener than you give yourself credit for with the other plants. Many people don't tend to the beds as well as you do. I always say, 90% of your time and money should be on the soil and the other 10% on the plants themselves. You seem to have that down.

Also, what is this shop you speak of? My sister is a real estate agent and also owns a shop in Northern Ontario. When I was a little girl, I always thought that I'd like to live in our family home and have a wool shop on the main floor. That did not come to pass. I moved to the big city and became something else.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Hello all!

@goingape thanks! I am feeling good, but nervous about maintenance. It is hard!

@1theresamcvean I am so sorry about the puppy, so sad!!

@sleepymom5 getting old definitely sucks! I have not worked out the past few days & the swelling went down, it is not bothering me as much, but I need to workout.

Got back on track yesterday after a few days of poor eating & the scale moving in the wrong direction, but I refuse to go backwards. I am down a pound since yesterday so that makes me happy.

I am thinking of going to the gym tonight, I have not been there since March (pre Rona). I think the elliptical might be ok on my knee since it is not too hard on the joints. I just do not know if I can last too long wearing a mask.

Have a good day! :smiley:

Feel better. I love how you refer to the virus as Rona. I think it must be a U.S. thing. It reminds me of the Mary Tyler Moore show. :blush:
  • 1theresamcvean
    @1theresamcvean - That's so sad, I'm sorry. I hope the other puppies are happy and healthy??

@Freeglerock - Welcome to the 160's! We're happy to have you with us, for however long you'd like.

@melaniedscott - Absolutely, not a problem. Weigh in before the end of the week and you'll be fine!

Update on Me:

I binged on tortilla chips and salsa last night. I wasn't even hungry. I'll be honest, I have no idea what was behind it, but my bloat this morning was an excellent deterrent from doing it again tonight. Also I'm out of salsa.

It's almost cookie season, and I'm excited to try out a bunch of new recipes. I have quite a few people who have so generously offered to take in some lonely cookies during the holidays, so I won't be overwhelmed. Here's hoping I take them up on the offer, or just randomly leave cookies for people whenever I go anywhere. I have options.

Ashley, I had no idea there was a cookie season. I never make cookies and my daughter-in-law always makes cookies. Perhaps we should meet in this land of seasonality. Salsa is healthy food. I think if you count the tortilla chips, they are too. Someone in this group counts them. :wink: Anyway, you deserve a respite.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Thanks to everyone for your kindness about Bella the puppy. Nature took its course and as a genealogist, I realize that that was how it was for our ancestors. I still remember that my grandfather was, as they always emphasized, the youngest of the 16 who survived. The other two puppies are strong and bigger every day. I have to keep reminding my neighbour, Adriana, to give them names other than pork chop.
  • kirsten11872
    kirsten11872 Posts: 519 Member
    @1theresamcvean i have a Morkie, he’s the cutest! 😊🐶❤️
  • KUMEcyclingteam
    KUMEcyclingteam Posts: 112 Member
    Tell you what, I'm diggin this new fitness tracker! It's changing me, I now park so far away from work, grocer stores, hardware stores and strip clubs just to get the extra steps! Add the fact that hunting season has started here in Maine, makes me want to ask to not be part of the step challenge as it's almost not fair! lol
    This thing even analyzes my sleep patterns, for instance last night I slept for 5.2 hours and apparently woke up twice. Somehow I also got in 178 steps during my sleep (So I think it was me that had that piece of apple pie and didn't rinse off my plate at 3:00 am this morning and not mom)
    Sorry for the accusation Mother! lol
    Not sure if sleep eating/walking is a thing, but it begs the question..... Do they make refrigerator alarms, or should I just handcuff myself to the bedpost at night?
    Are we all set on that visual? lol Good thing I'm single, and maybe this is part of the reason why I am!
    Keep it real folks, every day is a struggle................
    r15sxzkuplh2.jpg
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Hi all.

@1theresamcvean Condolences on the loss of puppy Bella.

@minstrelofsarcasm I must be feeling your cookie vibes up here in Canada because I made a batch of golden chocolate chip cookies this morning. It wasn’t part of my plan - but I only had two so that is a win still. I’m also feeling the tortilla and salsa vibe. Maybe this weekend, I will have it for a snack.

Tomorrow I’m heading to a movie so that means theatre popcorn - my favourite!

I’m at a bit of a loss for my fitness classes - the new sessions aren’t started yet and yoga had the last two sessions cancelled. My building has been closed due to a positive case so no work gym either. I need to get my butt out walking but the cold and snow is making me into a baby about it.
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Wednesday’s check in 10551 steps. 1075 calories. I need to start getting my steps in. My goal is 12000 a day and I’m slipping. I’ve been reading books and it tends to bring my step count down. My goal next week hit 12000 steps per day if I have to get on the treadmill to do it.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 424 Member
    Good morning everyone. A lot has happened with y’all since I last checked in. I have been busy with church work, even though we are not back in the sanctuary yet. With Covid and staying at home I am getting all the computer work done for next year way ahead of time. Covid numbers have been very high in NC and our governor just extended phase 3 of his plan. I hope that where you live it is getting better! I had an eye appointment last week. Long story short I need cataract surgery in my right eye. Yes, that sure makes me feel old. I go to the hospital for a Covid test on Friday, surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. I am a bit nervous but everyone I know that has had this surgery said it is a breeze but the eye drops after are aggravating. My weight is bouncing up and down this week. I hope to have it on the low side of my goal by Sunday. I have not walked as much this week, seems that I have a catch in my hip. Maybe “Old Age Arthur biting.”

@Freeglerock – good that you are enjoying walking, fall is such a beautiful time to be outside. The lunch sounds lovely, we all deserve a treat now and then. As for the typos, no problem. I know that I have plenty that spell check doesn’t change for me. Congrats on the weight loss and getting into the 160’s.

@1theesamcvean – so sorry for the loss of the little puppy Bella. I know that you did everything possible.

@ sleepymom5 – I pray that your knee gets better soon. As Theresa said, I hope this is a short term problem and that is goes away and stays away.

@melaniedscott – you will have to take a picture in the spring when your flowers come up. Sounds like it will be beautiful. My husband calls a planter at our house a coffin. I am getting a little better at it but he prefers to do the watering.

@GingerPwr – one day at a time! You can do this, I believe in you. My weight has gone up and down this week too.

@minstrelofsarcasm – wish I lived close enough to help you with the cookies, I have wanted to bake some spritz cookies but have held back. Glad you are feeling better.

@kandi3570- I have a hard time keeping up as well. I am hoping to get to know everyone better as the months go by.

@Queenieamy - what a loss, hope your scales are right.

@kittengirl88 – congrats on the loss

@annliz23 – love the poster, great words of encouragement.

@kristen11872 – welcome to maintenance, sounds like you have a good plan.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON………………………………………
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 406 Member
    So for the past 2 weeks I've been hungrier than usual. Especially in the evening. Idk why. I know its getting colder where I live, maybe that's why. I was 50 pounds heavier at this time last year. I try to keep thinking about how happy I am where I'm at. I tried to not eat after dinner yesterday for 2 1/2 hours. But my stomach would not stop growling. Im not sure what to do, I know if I keep eating extra I will gain all the weight back
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    @Zumba_Luvah sometimes stomach growling is indigestion rather than hunger or it could be peristalsis, which is contactions in the large and small intestines that move food through the digestive tract. Water helps with the second (which is why they tell you to drink water with laxitives & softeners). Might help with the first but some people say drinking water makes indigestion worse for them. I haven't found that for me. though.

@debbiewsharpe If they look good in the spring, I'll def post photos. That bed looked ratty this year as half had been really cleared and half just pulled and most of the lilies were not spaced

@1theresamcvean I love that your neighbor calls the puppies pork chop. That's hilarious. I am actually a pretty lazy gardener. which is why I've been doing all this work. The lilies & I had a non-interferance treaty. But they's stopped blooming so I had to interfere. If I would do a little bit every week, starting in the spring, it wouldn't be as much. But I put it off until "OH NO! Winter!! This has to be done!"
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    10/21 steps 9875
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,158 Member
    @1theresamcvean - That's so sad, I'm sorry. I hope the other puppies are happy and healthy??

@Freeglerock - Welcome to the 160's! We're happy to have you with us, for however long you'd like.

@melaniedscott - Absolutely, not a problem. Weigh in before the end of the week and you'll be fine!

Update on Me:

I binged on tortilla chips and salsa last night. I wasn't even hungry. I'll be honest, I have no idea what was behind it, but my bloat this morning was an excellent deterrent from doing it again tonight. Also I'm out of salsa.

It's almost cookie season, and I'm excited to try out a bunch of new recipes. I have quite a few people who have so generously offered to take in some lonely cookies during the holidays, so I won't be overwhelmed. Here's hoping I take them up on the offer, or just randomly leave cookies for people whenever I go anywhere. I have options.

Ashley, I had no idea there was a cookie season. I never make cookies and my daughter-in-law always makes cookies. Perhaps we should meet in this land of seasonality. Salsa is healthy food. I think if you count the tortilla chips, they are too. Someone in this group counts them. :wink: Anyway, you deserve a respite.

@1theresamcvean - My mom makes cookies to bribe give to my dad's clients (he's in sales) every year around the holidays, and starts her baking in early November every year. When I still lived in my parents' house, I helped her bake them. Now, I can't imagine November - January without a constant stream of cookies in and out of my kitchen. Cookie baking also tends to reduce my stress, which is something I'm very much in need of right now.

@KUMEcyclingteam - sleep eating is most definitely a thing! My little sister used to do that all the time. We had to put bells on her bedroom door to wake her up before she escaped (yes, that's the word I'm sticking with). It didn't always work, but sometimes there were Oreos left for me.

@goingape - Glad it's not just me with cookie vibes! I'm running to the grocery store today to pick up 20 lbs of flour and a bunch of sugar... and eggs... and butter... I think I'm pretty much out of everything I need for baking right now, but that's okay. Not having eggs has prevented me from making mug cookies every single day when I'm craving something sweet, and that's been a blessing. Let me know if you make any super tasty cookies - I love new recipes!

As for fitness classes, if you have the room to do this somewhere, I highly recommend this Jane Fonda classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYgeQe9EAI8

I think I've only successfully completed the video all the way through once, but it's a darn good workout.

@Zumba_Luvah - The cold most definitely makes you hungrier! Your body works hard to try to maintain a particular temperature, which burns more calories, which makes you hungry in return. This is why we tend to crave very filling, warm meals when it's cold outside. The problem is most people eat more calories than that extra burn eats up. Do you like hot tea? Even just sipping on warm water should help a lot, with both increasing your hydration levels and reducing your hunger.
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    pacsnc6
    Thursday weigh in
    Week 3
    pw: 160
    cw: 159.6
    LTD: ~20~
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,158 Member
    edited October 2020
    As for my check-in:
    minstrelofsarcasm
    October Week Three

Weigh In Day: Thursdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 165.8 (October 15th)
    CW (Current Weight): 166.6 (October 22nd)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 67.4 lbs

I was expecting this. My bloat from my poor eating habits earlier in the week has not disappeared, and I'm sure the extra calories led to a slight gain. I'll weigh myself again tomorrow to ease my mind about moving higher in the 160's, but this weight makes sense. Besides, I think I'd be quite content to be stuck here if this was as far as I could go, although I would love to push this lower.

Food: I said it before, and I'll say it again - I have to get back on track. I used to have a mini meal-prep twice a week, and that worked wonders for me, so now I just need to get myself back into that mindset, and soon. Luckily, I have a lot of tea and I'm getting better about questioning my "hunger" when I feel the need to snack.

Exercise: I'm on track to reach 750 rides at the spin studio by the end of the year without issue, so I'm on the lookout for other workouts to try to fill in the gaps in my upcoming weeks and get some crosstraining done. My cardiovascular health is fantastic, but my strength and mobility and flexibility could use some help. With my MS, my balance isn't so great, so I'll need to be careful with yoga-esque classes, but there's plenty else around here to try out.

Next Week: Doing a cookie taste test this weekend with some coworkers, hence my starting cookie season a tad earlier than usual. I'm fully prepared to have dozens of cookies leftover, and also fully prepared to dump them into cheap tupperware containers to pass off to others. There are a lot of people who I know could use a little positivity in their lives, and I'm more than happy to deliver. I've even offered to mail cookies to a few people.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants a tin of cookies mailed to them (after the election, because I wouldn't dare overburdening USPS right now), I'll be more than happy to ship cookies to you. Give me your address via private message if you're comfortable doing so, and I'll send them out. I can cover shipping, although I won't stop anyone from reimbursing me.
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    @KUMEcyclingteam When I wear my apple watch while asleep, it counts lots of moving around. I know that I toss and turn every few minutes all night long. I don't know how my husband gets any rest, he sometimes holds me down! I don't think I walk in my sleep though sometimes I wake up several times to use the facilities.
    @1theresamcvean Of course there's a cookie season - from November to January! My mom always started baking early in November to have them ready for Thanksgiving and then Christmas. The house always smelled so good when we got home from school. She always made our favorites, date squares, hooks (a flaky crust filled with walnuts, raisins, sugar and shaped like a hook), spritz cookies, and more.
    I seem to be stuck in the high 150s, at least it's below 160 though.
This discussion has been closed.