What's the last thing you bought?

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited October 2020
    Per the thread: I last bought groceries. So meats, bread, cheeses, eggs and tortillas.

Oh.. and booze. And an advent calendar (LEGO). You know, important stuff.
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well, I can say except for 1 vehicle I’ve had all mine for over 500k mikes with no major troubles and only performed routine and scheduled maintenance.

93 Ford Taurus- I even shifted it into reverse while accelerating onto the expressway. Went straight through OD into reverse. Smoked like a summonabitch and stalled but kept going once I stopped and threw it into park and restarted it.

95 Wrangler and 95 Cherokee you can’t kill the straight 6s on these two things. The Cherokee I drove hundreds of miles between home and Quantico every weekend for years. Never failed me.

07 accord LX- clutch car. I’m sad I got ran over by a semi in it and it was totaled. I didn’t die though so that was OK.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I paid to have someone fix my vehicle, does that count? I don't even think he replaced anything. Just cleaned solenoid panels, aired up my tires (which didn't need it) and ran a general diagnostic to make sure it wasn't a computer related error.

Boo. Finding a good and reputable mechanic is difficult but a must.

If he charged you to air up the tires I’d reconsider going back.

Reading computer codes in modern vehicles can be expensive but I’d check out VatoZone or someplace like that where they will try for free.

Nah, they just did it while it was in the shop. He didn't even charge me full price for the diagnostic. This was the mechanic I sent the car to when I had to have the engine replaced and they did a great job, offered a military discount and somehow managed to find an after-market part for about 1000 less than anyone in any nearby state was selling it.

He seemed surprised that it wasn't a computer issue, since that's what he guessed it was going to be (and that I'd have to take it to the dealership if that was the case). It cost less than I was expecting for the work to dig around and clean up things. **shrugs**

So far, this car has had to be fixed over:
    • A new engine
    • A new computer panel for the dashboard
    • Two new blower motors (again, in the dashboard)
    • A new airbag
    • Resetting the computer manually three times
    • Wheel bearings
    • Muffler damage
    • Damage to the fuel system

The car is only 6 years old. :grimace: I'm inclined to say we purchased a lemon (bought the car used with 27k miles on it) from a "reputable" dealership. I laugh about it now, but no.. they weren't reputable and the car has had more problems than ANY other car we've owned or that I've ever driven and known the history of. That includes cars that are 20+ years old.

Holy crap. I'd love to know what this vehicle is. Mine is 20 years old and all I've needed to replace beyond regular maintenance items like brake parts are ball joints (okay, a lot of ball joints) and the distributor.

Last thing I bought was a dragon Halloween decoration for the office.

Sure, no problem. It was (at the time we bought it) a minimally used Chevy Captiva (2014). Our Crown Vic didn't have nearly as many issues and it was a 99. We only sold it because it was involved in an accident that would have required extensive repair to fix the bumper and needed a new battery. Our neighbor purchased it and I sat and watched him slowly replace and repair all the parts, including the battered seating. It was kinda cool. Now I see it around town sometimes and chuckle.

If could buy a replacement Crown Vic (if they hadn't stopped making them in 2012), we would. But finding a decent one in this part of the U.S. is hard because almost EVERYONE drives them (or their sister car) and isn't interested in selling.

I've never even heard of the Captiva! I don't think they're popular here.

The SO has a Crown Vic. It was in a side collision and he bought it as a donor car, he's going to put the power train into one of his antique trucks when he gets around to restoring it. Good reliable vehicle.
  • brustmannzwei
    edited October 2020
    Well, I can say except for 1 vehicle I’ve had all mine for over 500k mikes with no major troubles and only performed routine and scheduled maintenance.

93 Ford Taurus- I even shifted it into reverse while accelerating onto the expressway. Went straight through OD into reverse. Smoked like a summonabitch and stalled but kept going once I stopped and threw it into park and restarted it.

95 Wrangler and 95 Cherokee you can’t kill the straight 6s on these two things. The Cherokee I drove hundreds of miles between home and Quantico every weekend for years. Never failed me.

07 accord LX- clutch car. I’m sad I got ran over by a semi in it and it was totaled. I didn’t die though so that was OK.

Ohhh, crown vics, they are fun to drive. Especially with the p package. (It’s really not that much better except you can drive them like you stole them 😂)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    a new lunchbox
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Nerd grease
  • KosmosKitten
    Nerd grease

Is this a euphemism?

• Reckoner69_lmao
    Nerd grease

Is this a euphemism?

no it's something I made up but I figured if you were gonna have a nerd rodeo you'd probably need some nerd grease

I also don't know a lot about rodeos
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    groceries? Other than that I ordered some jigsaw puzzles from Zulily and a new webcam for my laptop. All these zoom meetings...ughhh.
  • KosmosKitten
    Nerd grease

Is this a euphemism?

no it's something I made up but I figured if you were gonna have a nerd rodeo you'd probably need some nerd grease

What kind of rodeos do you go to? :D
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Nerd grease

Is this a euphemism?

Let's just say they're $24.99/month
  • accio_doughnuts
    accio_doughnuts Posts: 88 Member
    My Halloween costume
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,060 Member
    On-the-go water flavor packets and brown rice
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Cauliflower rice. I can get used to this.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Just ordered a Bissel Steam Mop. Watch out kids its getting wild over here!
  • KosmosKitten
    Nerd grease

Is this a euphemism?

Let's just say they're $24.99/month

Only $25? That's cheap. :tongue:
  • KosmosKitten
    I bought gasoline for the car. A quarter tank left is toooooo risky for me! :lol:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I made a Gordon Ramsey recipe

So I bought chicken, rosemary, bay leafs, white wine, potatoes.

Turned out plain and bland 🙂

• brustmannzwei
    I bought gasoline for the car. A quarter tank left is toooooo risky for me! :lol:

I say again, thank you from anyone who has had to replace...
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I made a Gordon Ramsey recipe

So I bought chicken, rosemary, bay leafs, white wine, potatoes.

Turned out plain and bland 🙂

i would have just drank the wine and skipped the rest...