Hanging stomach

Not sure how to put a picture here but I have a hanging stomach of fat very deflated unless I’ve eaten a lot of carbs and it looks like I’m 6 months pregnant due to bloating. Hence avoiding loads of carbs for that and for my sugar levels. It get infected now which doesn’t help my mental health but I went lowIsh carb for my diabetes mainly and the weight loss was the bonus.

I’m UK so surgery will be expensive no doubt

Just wanted to ask if any one has had surgery and what was the outcome really.

I’ve another 1stone Maybe more but not a lot to go before I’ll Even make an appointment that’s if they’ll do it of course.

Do you have to maintain and how long for?

How long are you unable to work?

What is the recovery time?

I’m also Type 2 diabetic will this impact on surgery?

Replies

• CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Is it loose skin and a little bit of left over belly fat? I have that too. The skin will tighten over time, a lot of time. The older you are the longer it can take.

Just curious if going low carb made a positive impact to your diabetes? Are you still taking prescription drugs? Lowered dosage?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Not sure how to put a picture here but I have a hanging stomach of fat very deflated unless I’ve eaten a lot of carbs and it looks like I’m 6 months pregnant due to bloating. Hence avoiding loads of carbs for that and for my sugar levels. It get infected now which doesn’t help my mental health but I went lowIsh carb for my diabetes mainly and the weight loss was the bonus.

I’ve another 1stone Maybe more but not a lot to go before I’ll Even make an appointment that’s if they’ll do it of course.

If you can get a free consult then do it soon. If a surgery need to be on your road map then it is better to know now. They will also be able to answer your questions more reliably than anyone here.

From what I know:

How long you are unable to work depends on your job. You can't do any heavy lifting for 2 to 3 months depending on the surgery. You will likely not feel able to do even a sedentary job for at least 2 weeks and for some people that was closer to a month. Total recovery is a matter of definition. The inflammation can take 6 months. Numbness around the incision can take 12 months but there may be spots where it never goes away.

If time will tighten your skin enough then waiting is better. However, waiting is not going to fix everyone. Quality of skin, amount, age, genetics may make it impossible for it all or, at least, so long that many years of infections will be suffered then surgery is a better, imo, solution.

• domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Would you ever do a gofundme page to raise money for your surgery?
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    I had a planned surgery for breast rreconstruction, using stomach skin and fat, for April 2020. It was canceled due to Covid-19 and it looks like elective surgeries won't be happening now for quite some time in my state (VT). All I feel I can do, really, is keep trying to lose weight and get healthier for now.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    This could be paid for by insurance since you have recurring infections and a referral from your dr. To avoid the infection ( yeast overgrowth) shower daily rinse area well pat it dry ( make sure it’s dry) put either diaper rash cream where it happens or deodorant all over the area. Sometimes I use a thin towel to keep area dry and separate if it’s stating to get bad an no rubbing. Sometimes it’s from too tight pants. But this helps I suffer this issue since I had c section but always had a mother’s apron from young age. And yes the deodorant works! Just slather on.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I didn't lose my weight that quickly - 48 pounds in almost exactly one year - but I too am left with seriously sagging skin and some residual belly fat. I'm older and I'm anxious about it going away eventually - my pre-weight-gain clothes still don't all fit well, so it's very real. I take a vegan collagen builder and I massage the skin with a collagen massage oil daily (massaging the skin is also supposed to encourage it to produce collagen) plus other things I can think of. I know that time is really what it takes, but I hate how I look! oh, well, at least nobody has seen me in person for many months and who knows how much longer it might still be? So all I am trying to say is that perhaps you should give it more time rather than considering surgery too soon.
  • Amashilama
    Amashilama Posts: 10 Member

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    It's called a panniculus and if I'm not careful, I get "ringworm" (fungus) under mine that makes it itch. The way to avoid this is to dry well after a shower and apply a good anti-fungal jock-itch cream. Surgery to remove it is complex and expensive. Read what @Amashilama said. That description is similar to others I've seen.

When you say it "gets infected" are you saying you have lymphedema cellulitis that gets infected or do you mean that you get rashes on the underside of your panniculus. If the former, talk to your doctor ASAP. If the latter, there are probably over-the-counter remedies available. In either case, surgery is NOT an easy way out.
  • Dollypollylolly
    Dollypollylolly Posts: 16 Member
    edited December 2020
    Sorry for not replying sooner

Ok here goes

It gets rashes on it sometimes sores and I dry it throughly but it smells if I don’t bathe daily and I talc it no creams as it makes it worse.

I’m older 55 now and the stomach deflates or rises depending on diet. I’m on a flozin for my diabetes and review is soon so I should be coming of it.

In the UK regardless if it causes infections or sore I won’t get surgery on the good old NHS unless it’s stops me from working completely or grows longer and causes more problems.

I’ve had a c section 24 years ago now and that wasn’t too bad really other than hoovering when I wasn’t meant too and it hurting my wound.

I work with dogs so a lot of heavy lifting of bales of shavings, mucking out. Sleeping in pens when dogs are in labour. So pretty full on.

• JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    There were ways to get NHS surgery if you can prove how it's affecting health. I've been left with an awful shape having had "corrective" surgery for hernia- where abs didn't come back together adter 2nd pregnancy- both c-sections & 2nd was 10lb4oz. They cut out some skin around previous c-section & tucked some skin but the sides above hip bones are gross. As I put weight on it's got worse. Has affected my mental health in many ways- no point getting sorted as I need to loose weight. My GP had no problem putting me foward for previous op on NHS but a former colleague who had 4 children in 3 pregnancies all C-sections was told she had to prove how it affected her to get the elective- surgery.
    With Covid it'll be way down the list but it is worth looking into.