What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited October 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Don't bother with whole wheat pasta.

I prefer it, as long as it's a good brand. (Favorite: Bionaturae).

so long as you enjoy it! in my experience, whole wheat penne or rotini isn't bad, but ww spaghettis and linguine doesn't do it for me
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    We always had German potato salad with bacon, vinegar, and mustard (no mayo), and I love it.

That sounds good... do you have the recipe?

Something like this, although it doesn't need the sugar: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/german-potato-salad-with-bacon-vinegar-dressing-and-dill
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

so long as you enjoy it! in my experience, whole wheat penne or rotini isn't bad, but ww spaghettis and linguine doesn't do it for me

I like whole wheat pasta (which I prefer depends on the sauce), but I also just realized I generally don't prefer long skinny pastas like spaghetti or linguine or angel hair. Prefer others like penne, rotini, farfalle, etc.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited October 2020

I like whole wheat pasta (which I prefer depends on the sauce), but I also just realized I generally don't prefer long skinny pastas like spaghetti or linguine or angel hair. Prefer others like penne, rotini, farfalle, etc.

Ohhh, the pasta shape is a CONSTANT battle in my house. My husband prefers long skinny pasta, and I prefer shapes.

We have both had to compromise. I vetoed angel hair and he vetoed penne/mostaccioli/anything tube-like.

So, we alternate between spaghetti (which I tolerate), and rotini or farfalle (which he tolerates).

He gets excited when I say I'm making pasta for dinner, but looks crestfallen when he sees that it's "shapes" night.

He's got a gluten intolerance, so we get gluten-free pasta and I can't taste the difference at all.
  • pancakerunner

Ohhh, the pasta shape is a CONSTANT battle in my house. My husband prefers long skinny pasta, and I prefer shapes.

We have both had to compromise. I vetoed angel hair and he vetoed penne/mostaccioli/anything tube-like.

So, we alternate between spaghetti (which I tolerate), and rotini or farfalle (which he tolerates).

He gets excited when I say I'm making pasta for dinner, but looks crestfallen when he sees that it's "shapes" night.

He's got a gluten intolerance, so we get gluten-free pasta and I can't taste the difference at all.

I prefer shapes as well. can’t stand angel hair! My favorite are bow ties and wagon wells ahah
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Why is this so cute? I'm sorry, I'm just laughing imagining him getting all disappointed that it's going to be "shapes."
  • pancakerunner

Why is this so cute? I'm sorry, I'm just laughing imagining him getting all disappointed that it's going to be "shapes."

It's like getting a dog all excited about a car ride...only to pull up at the vet's office. :D

why does pasta even come in a variety of shapes? genuine question, as it all tastes the same?
  • pancakerunner

It's like getting a dog all excited about a car ride...only to pull up at the vet's office. :D

why does pasta even come in a variety of shapes? genuine question, as it all tastes the same?

I think, traditionally, different shapes were paired with different types of sauces, or in soups or other dishes. There is a difference in the way the shapes hold certain sauces and other ingredients.

also probably regional
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Omg that sounds absolutely disgusting.
  • pancakerunner

Omg that sounds absolutely disgusting.

Right?!
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Sometimes - actually, who am I kidding? - quite often, when it is cold or I can't seem to keep warm and I want a fresh salad, I end up heating up that salad in the microwave.
    If you're anything like my Mom, I reckon warm lettuce and cucumbers might appall you.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member

I prefer shapes as well. can’t stand angel hair! My favorite are bow ties and wagon wells ahah

Yes! Wagon wheels were my favorite! I don't eat pasta except Shirataki now though. lol
  • pancakerunner
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Yes! Wagon wheels were my favorite! I don't eat pasta except Shirataki now though. lol

wagon wheel with parmesan... childhood!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member

Any pasta with butter and parmesean...adulthood!

Top ramen...adulthood!

😀
  • pancakerunner
    glassyo wrote: »

Top ramen...adulthood!

😀

ramen! Thanks for the reminder... now I have to mkae my ramen, cashew and cherry salad
  • pancakerunner
    stuffing > mashed potatoes
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Top ramen...adulthood!

😀

ramen! Thanks for the reminder... now I have to mkae my ramen, cashew and cherry salad

As a noncook, I miss top ramen. It's one of those things I had to give up because one serving will ALWAYS be two bricks for me. :)