Just Give Me 10 Days ~ Round 130

Replies

• UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,337 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    Round 129 94.8

24th 95.1
    25th 95.5 Not sure why I gained relatively large amount today, I'm hoping that it's just a one-off, yesterday I ate 7339 kJ which is higher than it should be, I was unwell so I wasn't concentrating on weight loss.

So sorry you're feeling bad. Hope today is a better day for you.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    @SModa61 YES! Eating an occasional “fat bomb” or some bacon and cheddar got me through the first weeks of keto/low carb. The fat stays with you and satisfies. During this lockdown/quarantine thing I have lost about 7# and weigh less than I EVER dreamed of!

Congratulations on using the COVID times well, and congrats on being in a good place. I was there in 2017, and then I lost my mindset that was keeping me there. (Long drawn out story of excuses).

Looking at my 2020 numbers, I apparently held on well enough (no gain, no loss) during the first COVID months (march and april) while hubby and I were down in the Keys. Then we came home. Not sure what aspects made me spiral but May - Sept put 10 new pounds on me that I had not seen in years.
  • SModa61
    UTMom81 wrote: »

Question for anyone: do you recommend protein supplements (I am NOT doing gym work though--my exercise right now consists of increasing amounts of walking and repeatedly lifting and carrying my granddaughter, lol) to get proteins high enough? I will be increasing bodyweight exercises over time, but slowly. If so, what do you use?

@UtMom81 I happen to be including a protein powder as part of my breakfast. That is the meal that it would normally be more lacking for me. Background, 2017 I got down around 126 (daughters wedding) and had a little creep. The following summer I decided to go for Keto to clean up a few pounds, but also due to the claim it would help with brain function, which I was most exited by. Anyhow, I did it for 6 weeks and loved it, until I had a major hemorrhoid flare that ultimately led to surgery. Probably did Keto wrong, or it was wrong for me body. Anyhow, I know need to pay attention to my fiber content. My savior was Fiberone cereal for breakfast with some form of milk. When I started working with my macros numbers, that breakfast no longer worked, but I could not give up the fiber one. So now, I use a flavored protein powder, 1 TB chia seeds mixed with 1/3 cup water and allowed to absorb for 15 - 30 min. Then I add 4.5 ounce ff greek yogurt and swirl together (i like the contrasting ribbons of taste). That is all topped off with 26 grams of Fiberone cereal. From that, I meet my fiber requirement (21g) for the day, 42g protein start, and iron is also an issue and I get 31% or iron RDA (menopausal women only require 50%).

So that is me. I happen to use the Quest protein powders. Peanut butter is my favorite at the moment. I have chocolate, vanilla, PB and salted caramel.
  • SModa61
    yahyiz2020 wrote: »
    Hi everybody this is my first challenge on MFP. So I'm 20yo guy 5'9". So far this year I lost 32lbs and I'm aiming for 45-50lb lost in 2020.

Congrats on getting a hold on this while young and establishing healthier habits for you life!
  • SheilaBoneham
    SheilaBoneham Posts: 2,977 Member
    More recent info states “there are no ESSENTIAL carbohydrates.” Our bodies will manufacture glucose, if it needs it. At first I was staying under 20 g, now I allow myself to go over ON OCCASION.

@quiltingjaine I know keto works for you, but I’m wondering what your sources are for this information (aside from doctors making lots of $$ from their books)? Various science-based and trustworthy sources, including the Mayo Clinic, Harvard Medical School, The American Council on Science and Health, various dietetics associations, and the two professional dietitians I’ve consulted over the years advocate consumption of healthy carbs (Particularly veggies and whole grains) for most people, and urge caution in regard to any extreme diet (such as cutting out an entire food group). Here’s an interesting article from The American Council on Science and Health - https://www.acsh.org/news/2015/08/17/that-perennial-question-low-fat-or-low-carb-addressed-again There are more excellent articles on the Mayo, Harvard, and ACSH sites, among other science-based, non-commercial sources. Keto seems to be great for some people, but can be dangerous (or simply unrealistic/unappealing) for others, like any highly restrictive way of eating.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,741 Member
  • quiltingjaine
    @UTMom81 I do sometimes use a protein supplement to hot my protein macro. Usually I put collagen and gelatin in my first morning coffee - those give me 14g but last night I was quite short so made a cup of coffee and added a scoop of Dymatize Iso100 - 30g scoop has 25g of protein and some SF vanilla bean syrup. It was a dessert in a mug beverage. And me my macros almost perfect!wd4c3jvj4zvv.jpeg
  • quiltingjaine
    @SheilaBoneham I’ve read articles from both camps but I have to say my own experience is indicating that it works and is safe. My dad first read about low carb dieting back in 1967 but I was 17 and there was no way I was dropping the majority of goodies that I liked. I did Stillman in 1973 after DD#2 was born - that was drastic but I lost 25# in 3 weeks and felt great - kept that off for 2 years or more. Since a little over 3 years ago, I’m down 52# and my labs improve every time they are check (q6mo). I have eased up and am doing LowCarb, Higher Fat more than keto these days. I never expected to get to this weight but I’m thrilled and the doctor is satisfied. (I wasn’t going to him until January, 2019, so he didn’t know me at 197 (my highest) or 167.5, when I started Keto.