LET'S TALK THANKSGIVING!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Let's talk about stuffing... so many mixed opinions on this! Pesonally, I like a more traditional, but I know people who make it with cornbread or make it with rice, etc. What's your favorite kind?

Also... stuffing > mashed potatoes any day

Mashed potatoes > stuffing. I don't care about stuffing at all and usually don't make it. I let someone else bring the kind they like. I used to experiment with different kinds, but don't miss it if we don't have it.
  • lemurcat2
    amart4224 wrote: »
    Let's talk about stuffing... so many mixed opinions on this! Pesonally, I like a more traditional, but I know people who make it with cornbread or make it with rice, etc. What's your favorite kind?

Also... stuffing > mashed potatoes any day

I grew up with mashed potatoes on the table probably three or four days a week (at least in cooler weather).

We had mashed potatoes 6 days a week year round when I was a kid! Guess it was cheap and could be served with everything my mom cooked so 🤷🏻‍♀️

For me mashed potatoes tend to be a holiday food. They are easy and I could make them more, but I normally do roasted potatoes instead (which are lower cal, since I add butter to the mashed, among other things).
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Our wedding cake baker has ventured into other desserts - so, naturally, when she posted on Instagram some delicious fall treats - I pre-orders 2 pies!

Apple Crumb Pie and Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie

Thanksgiving is a treat day, but not too much food. If I eat too much and past the feeling of full - I'm just a ball of miserable discomfort.
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    This year me & my best friend are hosting thanksgiving at my house. We will provide turkey, ham, cornbread, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, & Mac & cheese. All of our friends are invited so also whatever they will bring. This is my first year hosting so I am excited
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member

Just looking at a picture of this pie, has to be at least 300 calories!

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Most of the 25 people we have for T Day are afraid to come. So we are cooking and assembling our own takeout for everyone. They will pick up or we will deliver. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, brussels sprouts, green beans and ham, sweet potato casserole, fresh cranberry sauce and store bought dinner rolls. Chess pie.

solid plan!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Most of the 25 people we have for T Day are afraid to come. So we are cooking and assembling our own takeout for everyone. They will pick up or we will deliver. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, brussels sprouts, green beans and ham, sweet potato casserole, fresh cranberry sauce and store bought dinner rolls. Chess pie.

This is probably the same thing that we will be doing - our normal Thanksgiving get-together usually involves between 25 and 30 people - and we will definitely NOT have that many people in the house. My wife and I have already discussed this but we haven't landed on a menu yet. Definitely turkey, dressing, ham and GB cassarole, but other sides and desserts are still under discussion.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

I wonder if I can do this for my dad and send it to him in the mail with ice packs and stuff. 🤔
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member

I wonder if I can do this for my dad and send it to him in the mail with ice packs and stuff. 🤔

Dry ice is the thing to use. Google where to buy it near you. Use a large US Mail "if it fits it ships" box. That is the cheapest way.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    vaman wrote: »

LOL! Over 600! Check out link

https://www.cuisineathome.com/recipes/desserts/caramel-chocolate-pecan-pie/
  • pancakerunner
    VegjoyP wrote: »

what? You mean it's not zero? Do calories REALLY count on thanksgiving?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    My MIL does the cooking, with my daughter's help. (Daughter = age 20.)

Turkey, homemade egg noodles cooked in turkey broth, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole (My contribution), stuffing, Hawaiian Rolls. For dessert, cherry pie and pumpkin pie.

I personally do not care for stuffing and I'm not a fan of green bean casserole. I'll have turkey breast, a reasonable portion of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, a little noodles. And a piece of pie.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member

Actually yes. To me its about giving thanks more than over indulging. My body is so hyper reactive and I just do not like consequences! Its not that I won't have something special, I truly enjoy a normal amount these days🙂
  • lemurcat2
    We never did green bean casserole as a family dish, but I usually do what we call fancy green beans, which is just green beans sauteed in a little olive oil with some mushrooms, dill, and slivered almonds. We do do a high cal broccoli and cauliflower with cheese and bread crumbs which my mom brought as one of her Thanksgiving dishes since I can remember (my sister now makes it), and at times I've done a creamed spinach as a side, but only when there are lots of people, so not this year.

We will likely have (1) turkey breast, (2) the green beans, (3) the broccoli-cauliflower dish, (4) mashed potatoes (although likely with some cauliflower mashed in, as my sister and I both like that), and (5) a regular salad. Neither of us considers sweet potato a special dish, so we likely will ditch that given the smaller numbers. I like a cranberry and orange sauce, which we will likely make a topping for vanilla ice cream. Someone will likely bring a pie. I used to always make an apple pie and my sister a pumpkin cheesecake, but likely won't bother this year as we will likely have 4 people only. I'm sure someone will bring rolls, but I probably will not eat them.

IMO, Thanksgiving is a huge meal, but we usually eat little the rest of the day and for the past several years most of the dishes have been pretty consistent with how I normally eat that it's not like some super high cal day. The individual meals for Christmas and Easter tend to be higher and even then not that out of whack.
  • pancakerunner

Actually yes. To me its about giving thanks more than over indulging. My body is so hyper reactive and I just do not like consequences! Its not that I won't have something special, I truly enjoy a normal amount these days🙂

TBH I'm the same. I don't over do it... but don't strictly count either. I give myself permission to eat foods I normally wouldn't, but keep it in check!