What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Leftovers for lunch. Last night's rice was converted to congee. Leftover stir fried choi sam and vegan mongolian beef made with seitan.
    v6o2kjrufu9m.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Pasta w white beans.l80c139mo72c.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Brekkie Center cut pork chops, grits with a tad of cheddar, eggs and homemade sourdough biscuits with a starter from the Kenai Penisula that's been in my family for 120 years.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    I only post in this thread when I make a disaster, lol.

Anyway, I made some stew last night and it turned out pretty bad. The vegetables are fine, the sauce... eh, I used canned tomato sauce because I'm lazy so it's pretty sugary and nasty, but the seasonings, dill and garlic I added mostly balance it out so it's okay.

But the meat is just... not good. The acidity didn't break it down nearly as much as it should have, the seasonings didn't seep in at all and the meat wasn't the best quality to begin with. In short, it tastes like bland, tough, boiled low-grade beef :s

Not sure what went wrong... Pork usually treats me better than beef but it's harder to find stew pork meat. Here's hoping it'll improve as leftovers...
    Since people gave a lot of support :) I figured I'd give an update.

Tuesday night, I figured that if I'm going to eat trash, I might as well eat overcooked trash and simmered it for another hour and a bit, and that... really improved it. The meat was still bland but at least it was tender and a bit more flavourful because all the fat had melted nicely. The sauce improved as well, though some of the vegetables became mushier than I like.

So... like @snowflake954 said, a learning experience. And I'll have plenty of chances to learn more, still have a kilo of the meat left in the freezer, lol.
  • acpgee
    Leftovers management at my place. Tagliata di manzo made from last night's leftovers for lunch. I roasted off some potato in the air fryer to go with that.
    rbtztfaajpct.jpeg

• Last night's dinner was beef and bean and cheese enchiladas. They were popular, and suffered the fate of the popular. (grin) I don't like enchilada sauce so I had a taco salad. But it was tasty and filling.
  • Southernfit87
    Southernfit87 Posts: 39 Member
    Today cooked 2 shrimp and crab pies the winter bulk is coming on strong hahaha
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I roasted a turkey because seems more like Christmas than October. Turkey and roasted vegetables.
  • acpgee
    Copycat KFC dinner using the Chicago Tribune recipe for the 11 herbs and spices. Lightened it up by using the air fryer. Copycat coleslaw was lightened by replacing half the mayo with yoghurt. Cornmeal coated okra was done in the air fryer too. Copycat Kraft dinner made with cheddar cheese powder I bought online. Honey mustard was the condiment for chicken.
    ljvw3d3le6dj.jpeg

• gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    @acpgee does it taste like KFC chicken? I'm in Australia and that's the first time I've seen that recipe after I looked it up.
  • acpgee
    gutzbgon wrote: »
    @acpgee does it taste like KFC chicken? I'm in Australia and that's the first time I've seen that recipe after I looked it up.

The Chicago Tribune spice recipe is very close, although less salty. I ran the dried herbs through the food processor because real KFC is spotted with black flecks which I suspect are the dried herbs ground to a powder. I made up the spice mixture minus the flour to keep in the pantry. For coating 3 thighs mix a tablespoon of the spice mixture with a tablespoon of potato starch and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. I think cornmeal gives a crunchier crust than the flour called for in the Chicago Tribune recipe.

I marinate the chicken pieces overnight in watered down yoghurt (buttermilk is traditional but hard to find in the UK, where I am) and I salt the marinade heavily to compensate for the spice mixture being less salty than real KFC. Before cooking I shake off excess marinade and toss chicken pieces with spice mixture in a plastic bag and shake to coat the chicken.

The spice mixture scorches easily so next time I will reduce the paprika. I did an experiment with each of the 11 herbs and spices in different compartments of a muffin tray. The paprika was the quickest to burn.
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

The Chicago Tribune spice recipe is very close, although less salty. I ran the dried herbs through the food processor because real KFC is spotted with black flecks which I suspect are the dried herbs ground to a powder. I made up the spice mixture minus the flour to keep in the pantry. For coating 3 thighs mix a tablespoon of the spice mixture with a tablespoon of potato starch and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. I think cornmeal gives a crunchier crust than the flour called for in the Chicago Tribune recipe.

I marinate the chicken pieces overnight in watered down yoghurt (buttermilk is traditional but hard to find in the UK, where I am) and I salt the marinade heavily to compensate for the spice mixture being less salty than real KFC. Before cooking I shake off excess marinade and toss chicken pieces with spice mixture in a plastic bag and shake to coat the chicken.

The spice mixture scorches easily so next time I will reduce the paprika. I did an experiment with each of the 11 herbs and spices in different compartments of a muffin tray. The paprika was the quickest to burn.

@apcgee Thank you for that, I will be trying it for sure!
  • acpgee
    acpgee wrote: »

@apcgee Thank you for that, I will be trying it for sure!

If you are doing the copycat coleslaw too, the secret ingredient is a little grated raw onion.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Roasted vegetables (zucchini; green pepper; red/yellow cherry tomatoes; mini red/yellow/purple potatoes) tossed with olive oil, a garlic clove, salt, pepper, and oregano before cooking. (I ate a small piece of feta cheese too.) For me, this is an achievement.
  • Chicken jalapeno cheese quesadillas. I leave the jalapeno out of mine cause I don't do heat.
  • acpgee
    Snack of borlotti beans and carrots in leftover caribbean seafood boil sauce with gremolata.
    e2243qhq7rin.jpg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Risotto w grated zucchini, telline (small clams), EVOO, broth, low fat cream, black pepper, white wine, and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.msdjnz9dqhv6.jpg
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    On Sunday I made a Mississippi Pot Roast, it's our favorite. Shredded it up for hot beef sandwiches on a hoagie bun with mashed potatoes, and a sliced hoagie. It was leftovers for dinner last night only with brown gravy over mashed potatoes and no bread. There was enough of that for DH to take for lunch today. I brought a cold meat sandwich for lunch.

Tonight will be ribeye steaks and baked sweet potatoes with some kind of veg.
  • acpgee
    Pho for breakfast thrown together with last night's leftovers.
    86t8x3pzppri.jpeg