Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• WildColonialGirl
    WildColonialGirl Posts: 15 Member
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    I have found that when I declutter, it’s very freeing. I’m a huge fan of Freecycle and also belong to a trading group on FB.

A friend of mine just told me about Freecycle. Can I ask where you do your trades or have others pick up? I wouldn't want to give someone my home address.

You can arrange to do pickup in public places if you prefer, or you can deliver to the person’s home. I’ve done deliveries for people who didn’t have transportation.
  • WildColonialGirl
    WildColonialGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I have an excel workout sheet with 4 columns labeled:

1) Category (organizing, de-cluttering, cleaning, etc)
    2) Chore (could be a room, a drawer, boxes, garage, cars, etc.)
    3) Status: on going/started, pending, etc
    4) Completion/Date: The date that the chore was all done (bolded and in red)

It helps me to keep track of what needs to be done, register the completed task(s), and to add notes if the cleaning or whatever, was delayed/pending (reason). For me it is another way to be more organized, and to start with the easier task that can be done quickly. It is a morale boost.

This is good! I’m going to try that.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I have an excel workout sheet with 4 columns labeled:

1) Category (organizing, de-cluttering, cleaning, etc)
    2) Chore (could be a room, a drawer, boxes, garage, cars, etc.)
    3) Status: on going/started, pending, etc
    4) Completion/Date: The date that the chore was all done (bolded and in red)

It helps me to keep track of what needs to be done, register the completed task(s), and to add notes if the cleaning or whatever, was delayed/pending (reason). For me it is another way to be more organized, and to start with the easier task that can be done quickly. It is a morale boost.

This is good! I’m going to try that.

Good for you, but I warn you that if you don't check the list and complete the tasks nothing will get done. Been there and done that! :'(:#
  • I got a lot of decluttering done in the guest room. It serves a lot of purposes; it's my sewing room, it's my crafting room where I play with faux flowers and make arrangements, it's where I wrap presents, and it's where I keep out of season items. I still need to do more on the closet once we get the bed in (We're waiting on the frame and mattress) and I know what I'm keeping where, finally. But all the pillows and blankets and mattress cover and all that stuff is now all corralled in one laundry basket so that I can find it all and keep it clean in the meantime, and I got a lot of the boxes I'm saving for Christmas cut down and stored tidily, and that solves that nicely.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Two-year-old son shattered a television from the inside today, shocked it lasted this long. Anyway I didn't know that Best Buy will recycle old TV'S, DVD players,chargers, laptop, keyboards, batteries...and so much more. In some places it's now illegal to throw it out.

I'm relieved to have this option. I just wanted to share this with you.

Also some automotive stores will recycle automobile batteries and oil.

I think we should all help each other out where possible. I can't stand the thought of throwing this whole television in the dump.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited November 2020
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I'm all for ridding your life of toxic people, if they're not relatives, and limiting your contact as much as possible, if they are. I have no problem doing this.

On the other hand, while I'm not a hoarder, I have a problem getting rid of anything that I paid $ for and still think may be useful even if I haven't used it for years.

I occupy a 2900 sq ft house with 5 bdrms & a 3 car garage all by myself and every room and storage space is full. I also rent a 10x20 storage space that is the same. However, the house is still neat and looks uncluttered.

The fact that the house is already full is what prevents me from buying any more stuff. If it was empty again, like when I first bought it, I would just buy stuff to fill it up again. So, for me, it's best to leave well enough alone.

Not sure what decluttering "places" means unless you're talking about getting rid of excess houses, condos and/or time shares. Fortunately or not, I do not have any real property other than my house and have no need to rid my life of any excess places.

You remind me of my grandmother 😊. She could fill every square inch whatever the space might be. She was compelled to just give those spaces a purpose, even if no one would use those rooms.

Of course some people enjoy having more stuff than others. Personally I’m a minimalist. I believe younger generations are saving less and are generally more detached and clutter free, for one reason or another.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    @RubyRed427

I don't do FB or sell things on line, so sorry that I can't be of help. What about asking your friend for tips on how to be successful as she is? Maybe she has a special trick under her sleeve. By the way, I like your grandmother's idea. Smart woman!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited December 2020
    Sailor555 wrote: »
    It feels very intuitive to me that holding onto weight and holding onto excess stuff are related.

Yes, I totally agree.
    Body clutter
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!