Serious/heavy/deep/real stuff

Replies

• CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    @glassyo wrote: »
    I've been with the same company for 15 years and have worked in the same industry for 35.

My boss helped start a side venture that really took off and is now slowing down/stopping (I'm not sure how that's going to go) his main business. We originally were going to go through one more of our busy seasons until that happened but, apparently, now it might be a matter of weeks. This industry is all I've known for 35 years (altho, now that I think about it, it makes more sense for me to be involved in the side venture 😀)!

He's going to catch me up on what's going on today but I hate change and I'm not ready for what this may mean at all.

Update?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    CacoEther wrote: »
    I've been with the same company for 15 years and have worked in the same industry for 35.

My boss helped start a side venture that really took off and is now slowing down/stopping (I'm not sure how that's going to go) his main business. We originally were going to go through one more of our busy seasons until that happened but, apparently, now it might be a matter of weeks. This industry is all I've known for 35 years (altho, now that I think about it, it makes more sense for me to be involved in the side venture 😀)!

He's going to catch me up on what's going on today but I hate change and I'm not ready for what this may mean at all.

Update?

None yet. He was with a client by the time I was leaving and I don't stay late unless I have to. 😀
  • CacoEther
    6 years ago today, my Dad walked me down the aisle. I wasn't getting married-- my step-aunt actually was because same-sex marriage was FINALLY legalized in NC in 2014. I wore a simple white dress and my aunt's fiancee let me borrow her bouquet.

See, Dad was diagnosed at the age of 55 with metastatic pancreatic cancer in August of 2014. What we suspected was gallbladder trouble or at worst, a liver issue, turned out to be cancer stemming from his pancreas that had already spread to these other organs, hence the symptoms. I don't know if you know much about pancan, but once you are symptomatic, the survival rate is something like 6%. That's about a 94% morbidity rate.

So, by October of 2014, the chemo was kicking his butt --though we were grateful at the time that he had decided to attempt treatment, we would later change our minds on that because it became impossible to tell if it was the chemo or the cancer making him sicker--and we were all coming to grips with the fact that every day was possibly The Last.

I had just broken up with my boyfriend of 2+ years. Marriage wasn't a prospect. I was 28 and the youngest of 3 girls, and the other 2 had the traditional walk down the aisle on their big days. We wanted it, too.

Daddy wasn't feeling well at all, but he grabbed my elbow and with all eyes on us, we traipsed down the makeshift aisle to the small flowered arbor we had assembled for my step-aunts to get married under there on the waterfront.

Standing under it, we stopped and he told me that this is where the minister would ask who gives this woman away and he would say, her mother and I do. And we hugged. And I just kept whispering to him, you're going to be there, Dad. This is just a formality. You're gonna be there.

Dad passed away 7 months later in his home. He was 56.

I met a great guy in 2016 and in August, we got married in a tiny little waterside ceremony under a tree. My Dad's ashes were in a big, beautiful jar just a few feet away. My StepDad gave me away.

Today on Facebook memories, the photo of Daddy in and I 2014 popped up.

I am having a hard time, today. I cannot believe I got married without him there. I can't believe how fast time has moved on without him. I miss him so much.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I'll share some photos for your trouble. In the last one you can see his jar right there near all the other guests.

rl2zzmi7kd1d.jpg

v3ccvldk65ga.png

icfreutz41vy.jpg

b90ef1c1k993.jpg

Precious memories of a precious man. Thank you for sharing, thinking of you today.. hope your day has some unexpected beautiful moments.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    6 years ago today, my Dad walked me down the aisle. I wasn't getting married-- my step-aunt actually was because same-sex marriage was FINALLY legalized in NC in 2014. I wore a simple white dress and my aunt's fiancee let me borrow her bouquet.

See, Dad was diagnosed at the age of 55 with metastatic pancreatic cancer in August of 2014. What we suspected was gallbladder trouble or at worst, a liver issue, turned out to be cancer stemming from his pancreas that had already spread to these other organs, hence the symptoms. I don't know if you know much about pancan, but once you are symptomatic, the survival rate is something like 6%. That's about a 94% morbidity rate.

So, by October of 2014, the chemo was kicking his butt --though we were grateful at the time that he had decided to attempt treatment, we would later change our minds on that because it became impossible to tell if it was the chemo or the cancer making him sicker--and we were all coming to grips with the fact that every day was possibly The Last.

I had just broken up with my boyfriend of 2+ years. Marriage wasn't a prospect. I was 28 and the youngest of 3 girls, and the other 2 had the traditional walk down the aisle on their big days. We wanted it, too.

Daddy wasn't feeling well at all, but he grabbed my elbow and with all eyes on us, we traipsed down the makeshift aisle to the small flowered arbor we had assembled for my step-aunts to get married under there on the waterfront.

Standing under it, we stopped and he told me that this is where the minister would ask who gives this woman away and he would say, her mother and I do. And we hugged. And I just kept whispering to him, you're going to be there, Dad. This is just a formality. You're gonna be there.

Dad passed away 7 months later in his home. He was 56.

I met a great guy in 2016 and in August, we got married in a tiny little waterside ceremony under a tree. My Dad's ashes were in a big, beautiful jar just a few feet away. My StepDad gave me away.

Today on Facebook memories, the photo of Daddy in and I 2014 popped up.

I am having a hard time, today. I cannot believe I got married without him there. I can't believe how fast time has moved on without him. I miss him so much.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I'll share some photos for your trouble. In the last one you can see his jar right there near all the other guests.

Precious memories of a precious man. Thank you for sharing, thinking of you today.. hope your day has some unexpected beautiful moments.

Life is so bittersweet. So glad your father had the foresight to walk you down the aisle...and that you got to do it again with your stepdad. Yet it must be tough to see the Facebook memories.
  • glassyo

Update?

Ok, update!

He'll be out of town for most of the rest of year only coming back for holidays because the new venture needs him there. I don't think we're completely getting rid of all our clients....only the small time individuals. He's been wanting/needing to slow down anyway. He spends way too many late nights at work during our busy season.

It'll mostly be business as usual while he's gone. I might get tired of actually leaving early! (While the cat's away and all. :))

And that's all I know other than some personal stuff you guys wouldn't care about. :)
  • CacoEther
    glassyo wrote: »

Update?

Ok, update!

He'll be out of town for most of the rest of year only coming back for holidays because the new venture needs him there. I don't think we're completely getting rid of all our clients....only the small time individuals. He's been wanting/needing to slow down anyway. He spends way too many late nights at work during our busy season.

It'll mostly be business as usual while he's gone. I might get tired of actually leaving early! (While the cat's away and all. :))

And that's all I know other than some personal stuff you guys wouldn't care about. :)

So we’re all smiles? It’s basically good news?
  • glassyo
    glassyo wrote: »

Update?

Ok, update!

So we’re all smiles? It’s basically good news?

So far! :)
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    I don't get deep with a lot of folks because I have the literal worst opinions, to the point that some of them would get me fired if the wrong person heard about them. Instead I deflect too much with humor, most of it self-deprecating, and I end up pushing away potential friends. The only people left who seem to want to put up with me are submissive types who need me to tell them to drink water and not tolerate people who are bad to them.

Just remember: To all of us, some of our opinions will be perceived as downright evil to others. That is one of the downsides to living in a society; everyone has differing opinions on what constitutes the "right" or ethical things.

And nothing in life is black and white. We all operate in a world of greys, whether we want to admit to it or not.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    All or Nothing thinking with food affects every area of our life. We learn these behaviors in childhood. We observe our family and relatives and we simply keeping carrying on in the family tradition.

Do everything on your own terms. Give yourselves permission to do your own thinking. Take what you need from a bunch of different sources because there's safety in that. Let everything else eat your dust because you will not be deterred.

If you have that All or Nothing approach to life it results in narrow thinking and a narrow way of life. Maybe you've dropped the weight, you're at your dream weight but that very narrow and rigid way of living and thinking is still with you. You can't roam free. Think out of the box because there is no box. The sky is not the limit and it never was. There's infinity.

Be a free range roamer and think for yourself.