WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Barbara- A microwave is the best way to heat the grain bag. You can get inexpensive ones at Walmart. I’m not sure about the price range at Fred Meyer or Costco. DSIL has a countertop microwave and it has been useful and reliable for many years. She mounted It on a shelf above the kitchen stove. Ours is built in and is at least 20 years old. It came with the house when we bought it. Good luck bargain hunting if you don't already have what you want. :star:

Terri- What a beautiful view! :star:

Lanette- You are lucky to have a neighborhood walking buddy. I had a wonderful walking buddy until heath issues sidelined her. She is indoors at home. She loves to sew and has been making CoVid masks since the first jets from China brought disease carriers from WuHan. :grumble:

Peach- I watch the Weather Channel. What a massive storm! I am happy to know that you don’t have downed trees. :flowerforyou:

(((Lisa)))- I hope the next round of antibiotics is successful at helping your body heal. :heart:

Margaret- I’m planning to treat or trick the neighbors, too, if they don’t come to my door. I’ll be wearing a mask. :wink: (There are two households with children. The rest of us are empty nesters.) Snow!!! We haven’t seen any of that in a couple of years. Thank you for the photo. :smiley:

Allie- Happy 2,000 days in a row!!! Great consistency and excellent self-care. WTG!!! :star::flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Barbie- Your decision to avoid buying Halloween Candy is excellent. :star:

I am not in the group of people who are wise enough to leave the Halloween candy in the store. :embarassed: I hope my back-up plan is successful. If the trick-or-treaters don’t come to my door, I plan to take candy to them. :devil:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Barbie I admire your restraint. I bought a large family bag of assorted chocolate bars and there are two left. I made my purchase with the full intent of eating them all myself. I will probably get another bag today.

Katla I like your reverse treating idea. Glad you recognize who is responsible for this worldwide pandemic.

Sharon Now that is funny right there! I never thought of that. Too much titanium in my neck to bend enough to see my boobs hahaha! Nothing to see there anyway. I have trouble with slugs on my hydrangeas.

Carol Glad you didn't have damage and hope you don't lose power. I was without power 3 days last spring due to downed trees and power lines on the ground.

Lanette I haven't had a walking buddy for years. My bestie and I used to walk for miles, then her knees went out and had to be replaced. I still do a second walk with her around the block.

Terri Awesome! Takes me back to having sheep for a couple of years. Great photo!

Rita & Margaret beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

ayiodrtn7aal.jpg

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: recycling, post office
    Bonus: 2 boxes donated to thrift store, Gold Beach Lumber, Home Depot, Spectrum, rearranged remainders.
    Get to do: chiro, post office, Activity center vote, veg prep, firehouse best practices survey, submit grant pics and receipts, study voter pamphlet, vote, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s, BGBS, get bank card statement + pay, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Wednesday: call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D, vote, firehall for postings and minutes to history. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    28: Ask yourself “Will this still matter next year?”: only if I don’t learn to not want approval/appreciation from Joe and others.
    29: Find a new perspective on a problem you face: see above ;)

Fae “I don’t get men at all” boy howdy you can say that again. Don’t listen to your wife who you know to be intelligent and well informed and who has loved and supported you for 30 + years, but listen to any “respected male” instead. [sigh] It is what it is. We have no microwave, but I could gently steam heat my rice pillow in the double boiler, or chill in the freezer, but, no, that’s not what the “respected male” said to do. And alas, this is not an aging male phenomenon, he’s been this way as long as I’ve known him. Thanks for the suggestion to use it myself, maybe the example will give him a clue :laugh:
    Welcome @Kathryn41057 Kat in Sussex, NB! Yes, sometimes I get the Oh-what-the-heck blues. One thing that helps is do get up, walk away from the screen, and do something that makes me happy, like walk the dogs in the woods, or grub in the dirt, or dance to a favorite tune or two. Once my mood improves I can “reset” and start fresh. And at 70 I’m considerably over the 50 hill ;)
    Rori ((hugs)) sending loving energy to you and yours.
    Michele what is it about your fudge that isn’t “like the kind you get at the store”?
    Debbie love the list of your fudge variations, your recipe is much like mine, except I add some chopped, wrung out, maraschino cherries to my Rocky Road.. How much coconut do you use for your Mounds fudge? I do make dark chocolate coated English Toffee, but stopped making fruitcake when I finally realized I was the only one who liked it ;) Your toffee bars sound like my favorite “Matzoh Roca” :laugh: Would you share your caramel corn recipe? Can it be scaled down?
    Sharon good to hear from you, hope your constant worry eases, and soon!
    Allie glad your endocrinologist prescribed the genetic test, important to eliminate FHH (Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia) as a possible issue. Has she ever suggested parathyroid surgery? So sorry you have to wait for new insurance to kick in, hope the waiting period is short short short.
    Rebecca OH those eyes! :love: :love: :love:
    Heather you are right, it’s those important small pleasures that keep us going.

Progress, two boxes of “low hanging fruit” and a backrest pillow to the thrift store today. 3 pictures up onto walls, tho’ possibly not in their long term homes. Scratched out room for both training beds.
    q8tcin1va3lx.jpg

Missed taking the dogs down the drive, and playing their food games, as I was in Crescent City all afternoon.

Wiped out tired.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 28, weigh: 27, steps>5491=5660 vits=28 log=28 CI<CO=27 CI<250<CO=19 Tumble & Shadow 5=31 mfp=28 outside=26 up hill=25
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4 dance=1 clean 30 mins=8.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=18 play= sew=0

found the recipes- for some reason they were on my desk instead of with my cook books.
    Carmel corn
    2c brown sugar
    1/2 cup corn syrup
    2 sticks of butter
    1 tsp salt
    1stp baking soda6 quarts of popped popcorn
    1-2 cups roasted peanuts.
    Boil sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt for 5 min. Remove from heat and add baking soda. Stir over popped corn and put on cookie sheet. Bake at 200 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 min. Remove and cool.

toffee bars
    1 cup real butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    48 saltine crackers
    8oz choc. chips
    3/4 cup chopped almonds
    Line pan with tin foil, cover the bottom of the pan with crackers. Boil butter and sugar for 3 min. Pour over crackers. Bake 5 min at 400 or until the crackers float in the syrup. Remove from oven cool slightly. Spread choc. chips on top and when melted, spread over the crackers. If you need to, put back in the oven for a minute to soften the chocolate to make it more spreadable. Top with nuts. Cool completely and break on lines of crackers(or just break in random pieces)

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    edited October 2020
    Nope, no Halloween candy here. The grandkids get far too much anyway from neighbours so we don't buy them extra! They are very strictly rationed to a couple of their hoard a day after dinner by their mum. They have bath and teeth cleaning soon afterwards. Their sugar consumption is rationed the rest of the year.
    The only sweet treat we have in the house is dark chocolate plus DH likes a chocolate éclair toffee after dinner.
    I will be turning off all the front lights and then no one will call. >:)

DH suddenly decided he was going to clean all our stained glass windows. Oh boy, the difference! The light! The colour! Beautiful. :D I hadn't the faintest idea they were so dirty. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    Whats with all thr friend requests from creepers lol?
    Im watching Highway to Heaven now.. and enough with the medicare ads bahaaa
  • Faetta
    Whats with all thr friend requests from creepers lol?
    Im watching Highway to Heaven now.. and enough with the medicare ads bahaaa

I have also been getting friends' requests from guys and from ones with no info. No to all guys and only gals with some info about themselves. I noticed an increase in the last few days and some do look creepy!
  • Faetta
    The Masked Mama
    is headed out to walk on
    this beautiful sunny day!
    ynptcj0701pt.jpg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    Grandmallie- I have a 3143 streak. I had to look.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Heather, I so love stained glass in a home’s windows. I had that in two apartments I rented when they were partitioning off apartments in old homes in the Ohio State University area. I paid $14 a week for my 1st and $65 a month for my second. The stained glass in the stairway landing was amazing in the second, along with carved walnut wainscoting all the way up.

Pip! 3143 is 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, allowing for three leap years in that time. That’s amazing!

Sharon, still Near Seattle
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 40min 54sec, 2.95ap, 180elev, 84ahr, 108mhr, 8.31mi= 753c
    Strava app = 1006c
    Zwift bike trainer- 35.14min, 98elev, 20.1amph, 140ahr, 166mhr, 11.81mi= 393c
    Strava app = 254c

Total cal 1413
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    ps! in the first I had a living room with the tower at one corner. All the rooms’ windows were edged in stained glass squares of red yellow green blue and purple.

Sharon
  • Faetta
    OH NO ladies! Just two days to Halloween and I have yet to re-straw my broom!
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    WOW PIP Over 8 years without missing a day is amazing. I wonder what the site record is? It has been around 15 years and I only discovered it this summer.
  • pipcd34
    Faetta wrote: »
    WOW PIP Over 8 years without missing a day is amazing. I wonder what the site record is? It has been around 15 years and I only discovered it this summer.

Wow res, maybe I can make that, unless I kick the bucket
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🤍♥️💙💚💛💜
  • Katla49
    Fae- Better get that broom tuned up & ready to fly. It is time for Halloween! You’re WAY too full of life to kick the bucket unless you’ve aimed it carefully to make life more fun. 🎃👻☠️💀🎃
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,286 Member
    Good afternoon!

I'm happy to report my trip to the tire store was great. Nice facility. Bought the cheapest tires they had for my little Sube, 40,000 mile guarantee. So far this year I've put 3,300 miles on the old girl, so I reckon I'll get ten years out of these tires. For years I was commuting between 18,000 and 19,000 miles a year in my previous Sube. Another benefit of retirement <3 .

I had a little time to kill at the tire store so went for a walk down to the Toyota dealership and checked out cars on the lot. Hefty price tags for even used ones, which makes me feel good that my 2008 Subaru is paid off and the perfect transportation for my needs.

Fae - thanks for the reminder about re-strawing my broom! Yikes, that was a close one.

Sharon - happy for you with your guy friend!

I heard something the other day regarding our health as we age. "Keep the candle burning bright as long as you can, don't let it flicker until the very end if you can help it." I look at my DH, with his arthritis and other issues, and can see his candle has been flickering for a while. That's what keeps me eating my greens. ;)

And an interesting tidbit from an IF podcast I was listening to this morning. One lady had been on Keto, it wasn't working, so she decided to go for a more time-restricted fasting approach. She started out with a 2 day FAT FAST - eating nothing but fats for 2 days - MCT oil, bulletproof coffee with butter or MCT or coconut oil, etc., to get all the glycogen burned out of her liver. She said it was then easy for her to switch gears. After just re-reading The Obesity Code, that makes sense.

Also have started reading "The Diet Myth" by Tim Spector from the UK. Has anyone here read it?

That's a wrap. Have a great evening all!

Lanette
    Sunny and cool SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Barbie has been starting us off for a long while. I must have found MFP close to the same time as Pip. Pip is ahead of me. I did the math for my days here 2935=8.04 years. Every bit of it has been positive, encouraging and valuable. I am grateful for our friends who visit Women 50+.

Katla

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Barbara- A microwave is the best way to heat the grain bag.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

But be careful heating grain bags in the microwave. They can catch fire.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-27/coroner-issues-wheat-pack-warning-after-death-of-elderly-woman/12817650

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) We solved the Halloween candy problem, by not buying any.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Us too. :)

I haven't actually noticed any for sale either. I'm not sure if it's not there or is not something I look for.

M in Oz