Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think you have a balanced diet?

Aimeesdiet
Aimeesdiet Posts: 27 Member
I was pretty convinced I was hitting most of the food groups until I started researching some of my issues. I have white spotting on my nails and arm pimples and when I read they foods to help these problems, I realised I didn't eat a SINGLE ONE! I told my sister and she said "well obviously, all you eat is carbs and vegetables" I HATE fish but I may have to find a fish I like 😳 basically I would like to know what a balanced diet looks like!! Would anyone on here like to share?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Fish (and beans) are something I have to remind myself to eat more of. With fish, it's more a paranoia of swallowing bones and choking to my death because no one is able to remember how - or willing - to do the Heimlich maneuver. With beans, it's a vanity thing and I don't wanna be tooting all over the place with a form of gas incontinence.

And yet, mature we must...

So see if you can find a fish you like. I settled on salmon filets and sardines in the can (but only in water, not oil).

Beyond the benefits for your hair and nails, incorporating sustainable fish (especially "oily" ones) into your regular eating plan has many other benefits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,430 Member
    I make sure to get in all my essentials and protein. Other than that, I may lack on the amount of water I drink and fiber I intake. But that hasn't affected me to the point of weight loss or bad training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I may not have read the OP completely enough.

If you are not eating enough protein that is not a good thing and not a balanced diet. However, people can get all the same nutrition from fish from other sources though and there is obviously fish oil pills you can take.

I hesitate to mention the DASH diet because I think it is really for people with specific medical conditions. If you do not have these conditions I think it is too rigid but if you used it as a general guideline not a must-follow religiously situation it can point you in the right direction.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,824 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Fish (and beans) are something I have to remind myself to eat more of. With fish, it's more a paranoia of swallowing bones and choking to my death because no one is able to remember how - or willing - to do the Heimlich maneuver. With beans, it's a vanity thing and I don't wanna be tooting all over the place with a form of gas incontinence.

So see if you can find a fish you like. I settled on salmon fillets and sardines in the can (but only in water, not oil).

Beyond the benefits for your hair and nails, incorporating sustainable fish (especially "oily" ones) into your regular eating plan has many other benefits.

The good news about fish bones is they won't choke you to death. They won't block your airway. The Heimlich maneuver (now called simply abdominal thrusts) won't help if you get a fish bone caught in your throat.

The bad news is that getting a fish bone caught in your throat is EXTREMELY annoying. Usually they are pin bones, and the good news is you can remove them pretty easily from a fillet. The larger bones are easy to avoid. The main thing is chew slowly and you'll feel any bones before you swallow. Some fish are bonier than others. I found two pin bones in a rockfish fillet last night that the butcher missed. I didn't find them until I was eating, but no problem. I'll cook the other fillet tonight. Mmmm. This time with some Sungold tomatoes since this rain is making them split.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Your welcome to check my diary. I eat a lot of food people have demonized like bread and deli meats. I also eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, dairy, lean meats, protein powder. No junk food, take out, or sugary drinks. Everything else is in my diet. In fact everyone is encouraged to check out my diary!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,926 Member
    I will eat almost anything but I am not a great cook so over all, my diet needs improvement. If I had a personal cook my diet would be great lol.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    A balanced diet means varying your food groups to get essential vitamins and minerals. MFP has broken these groups down for you--carbs, fats, protein, sugars, etc., and has a percentage that you can try to hit daily. Log your food accurately and watch how you are doing with the various groups. Fish isn't essential, there are other sources of protein. You have to try things and see what works best for you. Be aware that there are many click-bait articles on what you should be eating. I prefer good sense. Good luck.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Try tracking your food at Cronometer for a week or two if you want to see what essential micronutrients you might be low on.

FWIW, I'm vegetarian, I don't eat fish, and I'm tracking 100%+ on all the micros Cronometer lists (except D, but NZ sun takes care of that), in addition to all the amino acids. And that's without supplements.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Aimeesdiet wrote: »
    I was pretty convinced I was hitting most of the food groups until I started researching some of my issues. I have white spotting on my nails and arm pimples and when I read they foods to help these problems, I realised I didn't eat a SINGLE ONE! I told my sister and she said "well obviously, all you eat is carbs and vegetables" I HATE fish but I may have to find a fish I like 😳 basically I would like to know what a balanced diet looks like!! Would anyone on here like to share?

A little bit of everything (provided you can tolerate all foods) and a lot of nothing...
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Absolutely not. My diet is horrible these past several months.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    You're honest @mom23mangos and that's inspiring. I eat a lorra, lorra fish, fish, fish. It comes with the territory out here. There are no fast food joints or restaurants. I have to cook all of my own meals. I did buy some of those new frozen protein bowls to have on hand. I think I do alright. I've learned some new recipe ideas from Snowflake and a few others that I like. I'm not sitting on the couch at the speed of zero and throwing beer cans at the TV. Good food fixes everything. That's what we say when life throws you some hard curve balls.

I think Quest bars are cute and adorable and I don't have to edit myself or explain it. I'm through with overcomplicating food. I'm not going out like that.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    To me, "balanced" is eating a variety of foods in the appropriate quantities to meet your nutritional needs. Get enough protein. Get enough fats, making an effort to get unsaturated fats. Round out with certain carbs for energy and satiety. Check in on micros and make sure you're getting enough, which you probably are if you're eating a diverse enough diet. Eat the right number of calories. Splurge on a treat occasionally because food is enjoyable.

I've been accomplishing this by cooking 6 dinners a week (eating leftovers for lunch) that rotate in protein sources: vegetarian (beans, mushrooms, lentils), then seafood (fish, shrimp scallops), then meat (chicken, pork, beef, lamb). 2-3 of those meals include leafy greens. The others will have broccoli, green beans, root veggies, etc. Veg meals usually don't have a separate carb side since beans, lentils, quinoa, etc. already have a lot, but the fish and meat meals usually will include a carby side. Sometimes I'll opt for grains with a richer nutrition profile like freekah, and sometimes I'm craving some homemade egg noodles. I just try to not do the same thing every single day. Breakfast rotates between oatmeal w/ protein powder and berries, and cottage cheese and fruit, and eggs scrambled w/ veggies. Snacks are veggie sticks and nuts.

I used to think I hated fish. Turns out I like very unfishy fish. I'll eat cooked salmon, tuna, halibut, and swordfish, and I'll eat just about anything if it's raw from a high-quality sushi restaurant. If it's been a while since you'd tried fish, maybe give it another chance and try something different? You don't HAVE to eat fish and can get the vitamins you need from supplements, but it's really been an enjoyable addition to my diet.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Not great, not terrible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I make sure to eat some dairy, some fruit and some vegetables every day, don't stress protein all that much but make sure I get the RDI every day, the rest mostly takes care of itself.

The only micro I track - and am usually a bit low on - is fiber. Because reasons.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,824 Member

So see if you can find a fish you like. I settled on salmon filets and sardines in the can (but only in water, not oil).

@MaltedTea

I had to look this back up because I had a odd thing happen the other day.

I had baked some rockfish on top of a pile of thinly sliced chanterelle mushrooms. It's quite tasty. There area always a few pin bones, and I'm careful to feel for them.

Well...

One got sort of stuck between my teeth while I still had a bite of fish in my mouth I was chewing on. There might have even been other pin bones. I didn't want to try to finish chewing/swallowing the fish with the bone precariously stuck where it was. I couldn't just reach in and grab the fish bone because.... there was half-chewed fish in my mouth. It was a little bit of a conundrum. I managed to get the bone; all is well.

I have another batch in the oven right now. Great thing to do with a nice bag of mushrooms and some local rockfish.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I wouldn't say I have a balanced diet considering it contains no meat or poultry but it's probably decently healthy.

I (try to) follow the principle that at least half the diet should be composed of fruit and veg. To accomplish that I eliminated the starch (pasta, rice, potato) portion of meals and replaced that with more veg. Works for me because I hate cooking so that was one less meal element to prepare.

I have a pretty aggressive protein goal so eat a lot of fish, seafood and things like beans and lentils to boost my protein. I also use a lot of plant-based meat substitutes. Bonus for me is that they're easy to cook with.

I probably don't eat a huge variety of veg on a daily basis because I'm not super creative with cooking and I always end up with a whole bunch of leftover stuff that I can't figure out what to do with, but I'm pretty happy snacking on raw veg if that's what it takes to use it up.

If anything I think I end up low on fat. But it's a juggling act since I have to keep my sodium low too.
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Absolutely not. My diet is horrible these past several months.

Same..

About the only 'balance' I can claim is: I balance out the beer I have in one hand with the chips/snacks I have in the other.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

@MaltedTea

I had to look this back up because I had a odd thing happen the other day.

I had baked some rockfish on top of a pile of thinly sliced chanterelle mushrooms. It's quite tasty. There area always a few pin bones, and I'm careful to feel for them.

Well...

One got sort of stuck between my teeth while I still had a bite of fish in my mouth I was chewing on. There might have even been other pin bones. I didn't want to try to finish chewing/swallowing the fish with the bone precariously stuck where it was. I couldn't just reach in and grab the fish bone because.... there was half-chewed fish in my mouth. It was a little bit of a conundrum. I managed to get the bone; all is well.

I have another batch in the oven right now. Great thing to do with a nice bag of mushrooms and some local rockfish.

Reading the first half made me as scared when I read a horror/thriller novels 🤪

But look at you getting back into it despite it all! 👯‍♀️

Love that you're able to have local fish too!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I have a balanced diet considering it contains no meat or poultry but it's probably decently healthy.

I (try to) follow the principle that at least half the diet should be composed of fruit and veg. To accomplish that I eliminated the starch (pasta, rice, potato) portion of meals and replaced that with more veg. Works for me because I hate cooking so that was one less meal element to prepare.

I have a pretty aggressive protein goal so eat a lot of fish, seafood and things like beans and lentils to boost my protein. I also use a lot of plant-based meat substitutes. Bonus for me is that they're easy to cook with.

I probably don't eat a huge variety of veg on a daily basis because I'm not super creative with cooking and I always end up with a whole bunch of leftover stuff that I can't figure out what to do with, but I'm pretty happy snacking on raw veg if that's what it takes to use it up.

If anything I think I end up low on fat. But it's a juggling act since I have to keep my sodium low too.

Considering that you can meet all macro- and micronutrient goals without ever eating meat from non-fish, I don't know why you would assume your diet couldn't be balanced in those circumstances.