WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    Oh I am just having so much fun creating my friendship books. I never realized how much calming joy I get out of cutting up magazines, and gluing stuff! It just puts me in a happy place. Today was a bacon, tomato, turkey and cheese with lettuce and red onion wrap. It was heavenly. :-)
    Do what makes ya happy, and be happy with with ya do.
    Rebecca
    (glad ya all liked the googly eyes of Athena....oh to wake up to her eyes every morning:-)
    <3 Rebecca
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,718 Member
    Allie - I bought a couple of seasons of Emergency on DVD for my Mom a few years ago. I used to love that show.

Tracey
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    Correction- 1146 cal burned, not 1413.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Machka- Thanks for the concern. I've had the grain bag for at least a decade. When heating it, there is never a time I leave it without supervision. There are only cotton fabrics as a part of the bag, There is an inner bag for the grain, and an outer textured cotton cover that moderates heat. The grain is buckwheat and is inside the inner cotton bag. The outer fabric is also cotton, but is its a heavier cloth with an excellent waffled texture. I heat it in a microwave & never heat the bag without my active supervision. I make sure to let it cool enough to be safe before I use it. In actual use, it is usually at the foot of my bed. It is useful to get warm on a cold night and is also useful to sooth aching muscles after an active day. :star:

Katla
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) Jake has a sock filled with rice that he heats in the microwave for his eyes and finds it very helpful.

:) I have two friends that I walk with. One meets the dogs and me at 6:30 every morning and walks with us for about an hour and then Sasha and I walk for another 30-60 minutes. My other friend walks with me (no dogs) for about an hour nearly every Sunday morning. When I don't have a friend to walk with, I enjoy the company of podcasts or audio books. Either way, I have a great time.

:) I have just started watching reruns of "Cagney and Lacey" from the beginning of season one.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did Jillilan Michaels Killer Arms and Back DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a workout on the stair stepper.

After work exercised, went to the Salvation Army because I haven’t been there in a while, then to Hobby Lobby to get yarn for some of the towels and while I was there they have buttons on sale 50% off so I HAD to get some since I know that I’ll need them.

Soup kitchen tomorrow then I have to go to WalMart to get some prescriptions.

Heather – I hope you’re feeling better fast

Really rained this morning and very high winds. Lucky me got to go out and get the carts (I still can’t bring myself to call them “buggies” like they do here in the South. I don’t know if I ever will be). They were blowing all around. They did let me go home early, tho. Two other gals came in and there were VERY FEW customers. At one point there was a power outage for about 3 seconds, but enough for the need for the backup generator.

Barbara
    – usually my fudge is softer and not as firm as you get in the store.

Rebecca – loved the large up-close pic of Athena

Gdreeves – welcome. Like Carol said, this place will absolutely continue thanks to the tireless work of our Barbie

Rita – I didn’t watch the Halloween baking championship because I thought it was just baking, I didn’t realize that it also had recipes. Will have to check it out

Sharon
    – have fun on your date

Want to roast chickpeas to have Saturday.

Katla – If t-or-t’ers don’t come to the house, I plan to return what I can and give the rest to the soup kitchen. That is, if Vince doesn’t want it. In the past he has, but I’ve kept the bowl of candy in his office. Out of sight, out of mind

Heather – when my kids were little, I would freeze all of the chocolate candy (no Skittles or Starburst, etc) and then give them one or two pieces for lunch each day. Halloween candy usually lasted me until Easter, then I’d do that same thing

Allie – I get lots of friend requests from guys and I just decline them all.

Fae – well, you better get moving restrawing!!!! Once you get it restrawed, be careful flying!

Made a towel topper and then worked some more on the jigsaw puzzle. I tell you, I have to set a timer or else I’d be there for hours. Also, I find that if I work for an hour or so, I get more done. Many times the pieces are right in front of you. If you look at it too often, you don’t see them

Lanette – I’m going to put “Diet Myth” on my list of books to be read. Looks interesting.

Tracey – Great Puzzle. I can’t wait until I finish mine

Off to do a bit of reading then beddy-bye.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,718 Member
    Rita - I have watched all of the Baking Championships for years now. I truly don’t know why I am not a baker and have no interest in becoming one. I think it’s because I’m amazed what they can do with food. May favourite is the Kids Baking Championship.

Tracey
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    morning ladies~I am up and dressed and fed Alfie , and will go take care of Faith.. its raining and going to be turning to snow :#
    will be great to see my brother I havent seen hin since I was in New Hampshire
    I found on Parathyroid.com symptoms of Hyperparathyroidism and printed it out... as I was going down the list, I was going , yes, yes ,yes yes... and then could see that without medical records that it looks like my mom had alot of the symptoms and my dad had some of the heart symptoms... will contact my broker and see what I can find out about my insurance coverage... and then contact the endocrinologist.
    will have to get some food and drinks together to take with me and go get Homer out before I go up to Faiths...
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Good morning all. Had my phone physio session, asked me about my general health etc. He had me do some checks on movement of wrist. Reassured me that I was doing the right things especially my knitting. Encouraged me to push a little more as I think I was worried about doing more damage. All in all positive chat. Because of our high rate of Covid he could not arrange face to face session but assured me that if I had any problems I should ring.

BARBARA I loved West Wing and only last night was thinking of going back to the beginning and bingeing. Only trouble DH isn’t into it and because of CV he is always here. I will have to watch on my iPad in the bedroom. We have been watching a lot of Scandinavia Noir just watched season 1 of Alex we both stayed up until 2am Might watch season 2 over the weekend.

One advantage of Foreign stuff is subtitles because his deafness is getting worse the TV has to blast out. Looking to get a headset which will let him control volume while I can still hear normally so not headphones which would cut sound completely.
    He can’t get on with his NHS hearing aids and won’t consider better ones, they are expensive but if it were me I wouldn’t hesitate. That’s men for you (you gotta love ‘em) or not, good job I do.

Welcome anyone new

Kate UK ❤️
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Quick shout out! Halloween party for the kiddos today. I will try to get some pics. I am dressed as the witch from the story Room on the Broom. IF you have not read it or seen it; the animated short is available for viewing on YouTube (there is a free version). It is a favorite of the kids (and mine). A sweet story. Halloween candy? We never/hardly ever get trick or treaters; so we keep our light off and any candy I buy, all goes into treat bags for the daycare kids.
    Streaming- I began watching Sherlock last weekend. I am hooked; but have decided I will only be able to watch on weekends (as the episodes are movie length!) Wednesday night I began watching the Queen's Gambit. SOOO good! I can't wait to see where this goes. Also, as a Star Wars nerd, The Mandalorian season 2 begins today; so I will be watching that again!

That's all for now. Got my broom; I better fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    I woke up a bit down with a headache, but after a full cold moonlight patio Fae She bikini discipline complete with grueling Fae Sas workout completed indoors, I feel like taking a roll call and kicking some kitten. There was some serious calorie incineration transpiring. For some strange reason, I am feeling unusually hormonal. Some old hunk is sleeping peacefully somewhere this morning that wouldn't be if he was here and married to me.

Katla I also make my own buckwheat heat bags and use all cotton. I make the holding bag with heavy T-shirt cotton and next layer I use an old clean cotton towel, then make a colored cotton cover. The one I am using now has been covered three times in 20 years. I put 1:30 minute on it for my eyes and 1:45 for neck, shoulder, face, and hands. Mine still generates a moist heat after all these years. I never had the same result from rice as buckwheat.

Barbara Has the hot rag compress ever been recommended for Joe? I use it first thing in the AM. I fold a facecloth into thirds and run it under hot faucet water and gently ring it and hold it on my eyes for 30 seconds. I do this 3 times and it cleans out gunk from sleeping and gives them relief. I also do the 10 minutes heat pad treatment later, but if Joe would just do the hot face rag it would give him a lot of relief. I got Zek to start doing it after he got an eye infection from using his fingers to brush the sleepy out of his eyes. That man was super stubborn.

I remember our conversation over that issue. Bear in mind he was a retired Paramedic and Marine drill Sargent. "So you handle your thing using the toilet and then you rub the sleepy out of your eyes, what are you Zek, a billy goat? Either use the hot rag every morning or I am calling your daughter." He absolutely hated his daughter coming and taking charge. He could never stand up to her after her mother (his wife) died and she would say, "Ok dad, so here is the way things are going to happen......" And they did.

Michele Thanks for the reminder about careful flying. I forgot I am grounded. I was never fond of that skinny handle all up and in my personal business anyway. I think I will toss the broom once and for all.

Sharon & Barbara Thanks to you two I can no longer pray wearing only a bra without feeling guilty of vanity.

Fae
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Barbie

We also used rice socks for heating joints! Very easy to heat in the microwave.

Lanette

Glad you were able to get a good buy on tires!

Michele

Don't envy you having to get carts/buggies in the rain. I would have hated that.

Tracey

That puzzle must have been difficult. You should be proud. Aldo, the pup is adorable.

Carol in GA
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Senior Witches Broom Modification by Faetta
    No more canceled flights due to vaginal discomfort Patent Pending
    nxnedhbsmwup.jpg

• Faetta
    Heather Love that door! Super classy! I tried my hand at stain glass making a bath window for my old cabin. It was usable and sturdy, but a bit crude looking. That is a cool looking shed. You must not have neighborhood cats. I haven't seen a mouse for years. When I lived in the mountains I had trouble with pack rats. The cats kept the mice nearing extinction, but they wouldn't tackle a packrat. They stink worse than a skunk. I still have a hammer that they gnawed off part of the neoprene cushioning. Not envying your DH cleaning up such a mess.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Hi, were are in 2nd lockdown. Less severe than the 1st and people are testing its limits. Last time 1h physical activity per day max. This time one can "get some air" meaning one can sit on a park bench, etc. Less shops are closed: DIY shops are open, government offices are open, schools are open. Most of higher ed classes (that's where I work) are now 100% distance, with some exceptions. It may be possible to give distance classes from the schools in some places. With some neighbours we had dinner last nigh, the last night for eating out and together for at least a month. I think I had 3 glasses of wine. That's a LOT for me.

I don't feel great today.

The curfew for the past couple of weeks started at 9pm and the new lockdown started at midnight. There was much uncertainty as to whether the curfew was still valid the last evening before lockdown.

Walking around today, there were much less people around than usual but much more than during 1st lockdown. At one bakery they had tables and chairs outside. We can still buy croissants and coffee, and "get some air" as we eat them. I think it was pushing limits, as all restaurants and bars are closed down for a month.

At another café one could get coffee to go, but people more than a dozen people were hanging around outside and sitting on the curb. It was just in front of an open air market that takes place 2x a week.

I imagine that rules will get stricter in some cases, and more relaxed in other, will become more clear in some cases, and will be changing...

Yesterday I was listening to the minister of education on his announcements as I was going to the restaurant. :/:/:/