WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Life is pretty crazy here now with curfew a couple of weeks ago and sudden lockdown 2 starting at midnight Thursday. Saddening not to be able to have something close to a "normal" life.
    My home is a disaster area. :'( Definitely a reflection of sadness, and visa versa. I checked yesterday very early about renting and airbnb and found what looks like a nice one: 17 km outside of town in a big area with 3 hectares of land (about 7 acres). it's just a room but has a sofa in each room, kitchen access, access to big living room, sauna and 40sq meter sports/yoga room. The host or place has 4.97 stars out of 5. We have some "tolerance" allowing us to go to lockdown place till Sunday. Massive amount of people were driving out of the city last night at 7pm. major traffic jams, filled with taxis. Paris is not a big taxi city like NYC, but people were rushing to get out before midnight.

I'm not even sure that will have a major effect on numbers, as so many people will keep going to school and work this time round. It's so sad. :/

I believe my work is 100% online now, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    We won't know for some schools till next Monday.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    I have a buckwheat bag, the instructions I received when I bought it years ago was to hear for 3.5 minutes. I don’t find it retains heat for long and wish I had a good old heating pad.

Heather - beautiful doors. There is a new shop that teaches stained glass here in our little city, I want to take a class when this all goes away.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,808 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm kind of expecting us to go back into some form of shutdown maybe in December - perhaps around Christmas. Hopefully my office will send everyone home to work from home again for 2 or 3 months. 😊

If it happens, this time I won't have university so I'll be able to enjoy it more than I did before.

No commute.
    Fewer hassles.
    More time for exercise.

Our border opened last Monday so I'm expecting our first case in about 3 months to turn up in a week or two.

M in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Just saying hello!
    Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,808 Member
    edited October 2020
    Heating Pads etc.

In Canada I have used buckwheat bags and didn't like them because they didn't retain the heat. Gel was OK but I preferred my plug in heating pad.

In Australia plug in heating pads are very hard to find. You've got to go to a medical supply store and pay a small fortune.

What is popular are mattress sized pads that go under your bottom sheet and you lie on them at night to stay warm. Unfortunately they are a fire risk too so I won't have one at home.

The next most popular things are hot waterbottles. Traditional rubbery things you fill with hot water. Mine are in hot waterbottle cozies that look like knit sweaters.

I haven't used one in a while because of my hot flashes.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,030 Member
    Heather: Lovely stained glass windows. I have a thing about stained glass. It’s so magical when the sun shines through. I did take a course in Tiffany glass a number of years ago, but I haven’t done any for ages.

TV: I have to admit that now that BBC are steaming old and new series of all sorts, I am spending way to much time in front of the box.

Halloween Candy: I had decided to avoid temptation by not buying any, but DH came home with some, so I will probably indulge. We normally take left over stuff to grandsons, but not visiting them at the moment, and the treats DH bought are not freezable.

We went into town this morning and looked at replacement flooring for our old cork tiles in the kitchen. They are almost 50 years old, so don’t owe us anything. 😂

Called into the fishmonger’s and he had venison so we are having some for dinner tomorrow night.

Just relaxing after lunch, waiting for 800 words (TV series) which is just starting.

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    edited October 2020
    Made a reservation to go Spend the night in Santa Cruz for Tuesday, better than a day trip having to go and come back.

Met my sis and her hubby for dinner yesterday. Had fish n chips. Haven’t had fried food in ages. Felt greasy in my gut.... at least I pooped a lot this morning 😊
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🥸☠️👻🧡💀🎃
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Rita - I have watched all of the Baking Championships for years now. I truly don’t know why I am not a baker and have no interest in becoming one. I think it’s because I’m amazed what they can do with food. May favourite is the Kids Baking Championship.

Tracey

I love all baking reality shows! The talent is phenomenal and the creations stunning. I like to predict the winners.

Cheri
    Tx enjoying the cooler weather!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie & Machka- I bought and ate some Halloween candy. Yesterday was so lovely I visited the neighbors and told them we’d like to give the grandchildren a chance to trick or treat. Now it is raining outside and they may not come at all, but I’ll need to go and buy some candy in case they do come tomorrow. I hope it can work out to be fun for kids and grandmas. My personal grandchildren live in IL and VA. :ohwell:

Tracey- I’ve enjoyed watching The Great British Bake Off on our local PBS station. :smiley: I couldn’t eat anything they make due to personal food sensitivities. Dairy cream and butter are off of my foods list. Lactose free milk and margarine aren’t up to the standards of their challenges. I am not a bit sorry for myself. :noway:

Allie- Glad to hear that you’ll be spending a bit of time with Faith. She needs your kindness in her life. :star:

Heather- The stained-glass windows at your front door are beautiful art! I particularly like the combination of hammered clear glass and lovely colored art work designs. Perhaps you can find a glazier who is able to encase the original with clear glass panels to block air leaks. :heart:

Teri- I bought Halloween candy with the thought of having neighborhood children trick or treat. I’ve eaten too much of it, so I need to buy more today. I need to keep out of it. :embarassed:

I need to get busy. I have candy to replace and will keep my mitts off if it this time. :embarassed:

Katla in Halloween Town
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Heather Wow! Amazing transformation!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Katla - it's not the glass that leaks,but the wooden door. It needs someone very clever to improve the fit. One year we actually taped the door shut for a night! I'm sure we can put some draft extruder on it this year.

Fae - we have any number of neighbourhood cats, but they are all extremely fat and lazy. :D

Just Zoomed the grandchildren. Absolutely knackered after an hour of magic tricks, codes, funny backgrounds, acrobatics etc etc. Phew! :p They wear us out! But soooo worth it! They are supposed to do it one at a time, but one is always trying to sneak in so there are arguments. And about how long they have had. Max lied and told Bea that her time had passed quickly because she was enjoying herself so much! >:)
    We are hoping to be able to walk home from school with them on Friday. Weather looks promising. We won't go in the house, but it will give us a chance to chat.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    B)<3o:)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,030 Member
    Heather: Before pics are so motivating. You worked hard and it paid off.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Overcast, 60 degrees F, the wind blowing at 20 mph and leaves filling my yard! A big bowl of homemade chili with cheddar cheese, fine chopped onions, and smashed soda crackers for lunch. Estimated 320 calories. I think I will have a bowl of espresso ice cream to treat myself for behaving and playing well with others.

Fae gorging in the Gorge
  • Katla49
    Faye: According to our weather station: Temp 59 F Wind from the South 0 MPH.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 13min, 3.20ap108elev, 84ahr, 108mhr, 7.38mi= 655c
    Strava app = 894c
    Zwift bike trainer- 45.10min, 13.3amph, 142ahr, 159mhr, 591elev, 10.03mi= 441c
    Strava app = 305c

Total cal 1096
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    61 in my bedroom..got my flannel jammies on,nope not turning the heat on..