Working out at home

13»

Replies

• domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Well, I love doing pop sugar fitness youtube videos. If I make mistakes with the steps, I don't have to worry about looking silly in front of anyone. I don't have to worry about being exposed to the COVID. There's no traveling time as well which is good.
  • lillymaid86
    lillymaid86 Posts: 9 Member
    I love it ! There are many exercise videos on youtube to follow . I like to mix it up. This morning I did a basic kickboxing workout . It was so much fun!
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    What are the top pros and cons of working out from home?..go?.

I don't have to drive to get there.. seriously... I am not the kind of person who would go someplace to exercise on a regular basis.

I don't have for someone in front of me to be done using the space or the equipment.

I choose what gear I want in the space and how I want it placed.

I'm steps away from my own shower when I'm done.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I started adding dancing into my cardio routine. I find even with 4 different cardio machines, sometimes I just get bored with indoor cardio. So I got a tv and an hdmi cable for the gym and now I added in body groove videos from YouTube. FYI: I would NEVER dance if someone else could SEE me dancing...
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    This is a very interesting thread
  • Whydahdad71
    I see there are more YT videos on home training. Eddie Hall released a video show casing his beautiful new home gym. If you could have any one piece of equipment in your home gym, what would you choose?
  • Whydahdad71
    Just checking in to see how everyone is doing?
    I have been going to the park on Saturday mornings and using my resistance bands along with a shuttle run to get my full body workout day in.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    edited September 2021
    I have a gym membership and it's right down the road, but it's all fit skinny people working out. There is no mask mandate but the cleaning crew does a great job.

Pros -
    We have a pool so I can swim pretty much at any time during the warmer months.
    I can fart with my situps (haha)
    I am not embarrassed by my size and not self aware
    The music can be as loud as I want it !
    I can wear whatever I want (and have worked out in my jammies before)

Cons -
    If it's a busy work day I tend not to do it
    There are constant interruptions between work and the animals
    it's too easy to eat before or after
    Lack of variety, but I can hike as much as I want
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    plattef71 wrote: »
    I have a gym membership and it's right down the road, but it's all fit skinny people working out. There is no mask mandate but the cleaning crew does a great job.

Pros -
    We have a pool so I can swim pretty much at any time during the warmer months.
    I can fart with my situps (haha)
    I am not embarrassed by my size and not self aware
    The music can be as loud as I want it !
    I can wear whatever I want (and have worked out in my jammies before)

Cons -
    If it's a busy work day I tend not to do it
    There are constant interruptions between work and the animals
    it's too easy to eat before or after
    Lack of variety, but I can hike as much as I want

If I were in an area of substantial or high COVID transmission, which is most of the US these days, I would not go into a business unmasked, ESPECIALLY one where people are breathing hard.

Our governor has been reluctant to reinstitute a mask mandate, but cities like Boston are now requiring it.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/bostons-indoor-mask-mandate-goes-into-effect-friday/2477541/

Published August 27, 2021 • Updated on August 28, 2021 at 12:13 am

Boston's indoor mask mandate took effect at 8 a.m. Friday for everyone over the age of 2.

This means masks must be worn in businesses, restaurants, and gyms. There are exceptions, however, such as private buildings and places of worship.

The mandate is in response to the delta variant, which is the more contagious strain of COVID.

It is also in response to the arrival of college students to the city and the return of students to Boston Public Schools classrooms. Students under 12 aren't yet able to get vaccinated.

“We must protect Boston residents with strong preventive measures and masks work best when everyone wears them,” said Boston Mayor Kim Janey when she announced the mandate last week.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    For me, the biggest con for working out from home vs a decent gym is just variety of equipment.

During covid last year I found a small weight rack set on FB for pretty reasonable that lets me do everything in terms of muscle groups and lift types, with a few modifications or alternatives. But I do miss having access to a full set of dumbbells plus the little extras like lots of different types of machines/cable set ups/benches, etc.

And while I am not a social person at the gym, it was nice to have other humans around even if I didn't want to interact with them much LOL. At home, it's just you and your workout and it can kinda feel like you're in it alone after awhile. You also need space for it all - thankfully I've got a "bonus" room in the house I'm renting on the garage floor level, so it works out, but may be problematic if/when I move (unless I'm buying in which case that'll already be a consideration).

Pros to working out at home: even if I only have 15 minutes, I can go workout (rather than it taking that long just to get to car, to the gym, park, and get inside). The not needing to drive somewhere is great. Don't need to mess around with locker rooms n gross showers or lines. No one to get annoyed if I'm hogging something for an extended period. I can set up a rotation with different weights and I'm not getting in anyone's way or causing issues by using a bunch of different things at once. Never having to wait for the machine or weights I want to use. I can blast my music (no ear buds or wires or phones to tote around). Doesn't matter where I leave my water bottle. My cat and dog like hanging out with me while I'm working out. Did I mention not driving?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    A part of me has always thought working out from home would be great if I had all of the equipment I wanted/needed to do what I want to do. My gut tells me that I would more likely be distracted by one thing or another though and it would be hit or miss as to me actually getting it done.

One thing I've always hated about the gym is the commute. I already drive all over the damn place and commuting to the gym was just another place I had to get to. Even worse when I'm driving home from work and I would literally have to pass my house on the way to the gym. I was really good about it for about five years and then things just became more hit or miss.

Fortunately a new gym opened up right around the corner from the office I work at 3 days per week. I haven't been this excited about the gym in a few years. My work has a wellness program where I get 30 minutes per day for exercise so I use that and my 30 minute lunch to go to the gym. It's right around the corner and only takes me about 3 minutes to drive. It's big and it's new and it's not particularly busy that time of day, so I'm really enjoying the weight room again.
  • Whydahdad71
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A part of me has always thought working out from home would be great if I had all of the equipment I wanted/needed to do what I want to do. My gut tells me that I would more likely be distracted by one thing or another though and it would be hit or miss as to me actually getting it done.

One thing I've always hated about the gym is the commute. I already drive all over the damn place and commuting to the gym was just another place I had to get to. Even worse when I'm driving home from work and I would literally have to pass my house on the way to the gym. I was really good about it for about five years and then things just became more hit or miss.

Fortunately a new gym opened up right around the corner from the office I work at 3 days per week. I haven't been this excited about the gym in a few years. My work has a wellness program where I get 30 minutes per day for exercise so I use that and my 30 minute lunch to go to the gym. It's right around the corner and only takes me about 3 minutes to drive. It's big and it's new and it's not particularly busy that time of day, so I'm really enjoying the weight room again.

This was an excellent post. One thing that I actually enjoyed during the shutdown was working out at home with my son. He was 9 then and we had some serious dad/son time together.