WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Faye: According to our weather station: Temp 59 F Wind from the South 0 MPH.

It is still blowing here. Sun is out and warmer so I may brave a walk and walk sideways to the wind.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,317 Member
    edited October 2020
    Good afternoon ladies!

I was up early and started reading the Kindle version of "The Diet Myth" by Tim Spector. I got about 25 pages into it and realized I needed to order a hard copy since there were sections I wanted to tab and sentences I wanted to highlight.

Then, I went onto YouTube and started watching his presentations on the gut microbiome. Here's a good one if anyone is interested:
    From then on, I watched several more - YouTube has a lot of them by Spector and others on this topic! So went the morning. B)

Right now, I'm halfway through this one produced by the University of California TV: (for some reason it seems to want to start partway through the presentation at least on my laptop. Best if watched from the beginning if it's doing that for you!)

It's particularly "juicy" talking about fecal microbial transplants for folks not only with C Difficile, but also children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and some successes in those areas. Wow, lots to take in.

My takeaway is to eat more and varied probiotic foods and a wider variety of plant foods.

It's a beautiful sunny afternoon after a rainy morning, so time to go outside and enjoy that wonderful fresh fall air.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I’ve had a challenging time with my iphone today. Apple updated my phone & I’m not making some good choices resulting in mistakes. Luckily DH helped.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,493 Member
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Used the stairstepper today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Karen Voit Pilates Abs and Back DVD

KJ – don’t text and drive your broom at the same time!!!!

Fae – your broom….lol

Carol – on the bright side of getting those carts in the rain……at least I got a fair amount of steps in!!!

Heather – lovely windows. You look so “frumpy” in the before picture, so much better now. Thanks for sharing them

Just roasted some chickpeas to have tomorrow night.

Got dinner ready to microwave, making steel cut oats for breakfast tomorrow. Need to leave in a few to go to the church to get their donations then to the soup kitchen. After the soup kitchen need to stop at WalMart to get some prescriptions. Update: they (the soup kitchen) had hot dogs, chili, coleslaw, French fries, an M&M cookie ice cream sandwich plus their bag for the weekend.

Terri – one thing I’ve always wanted to do (and don’t know if I can do it now or not) is take a class in stained glass. I have most of the equipment from MIL, I just never got to it before now and now I’m sorry I didn’t

Just put in my request to Food Lion for the days when, hopefully, we will go to Jess’ in Iowa. Vince said “well, it depends on the weather”. I can’t see a reason why we shouldn’t go out there, I think it would be good for us. Well, that’s just him…always looking on the dark side. Me? I’m the “eternal optimist”, I’ll worry about it when and if it happens.

Pip
    – I can’t remember the last time I had a hamburger. I remember how bad it made me feel, tho. And I REALLY can’t remember the last time I had a hot dog.

Worked on the puzzle some now going to make a towel topper. Have sourdough bread in the oven. Am making bread to give to people for Christmas along with some of the towels.

Michele NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    We won't know for some schools till next Monday.

Such a stressful time. I am sorry it makes everything so difficult and sad.

I also get frustrated when people won't cooperate with community health directives.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    61 in my bedroom..got my flannel jammies on,nope not turning the heat on..

I had to laugh. When we lived in Syracuse NY, it was a contest with myself to see how long we could go without turning the heat on. We could never make it to Thanksgiving!

And here, we are total wimps. We have barely dipped below 30 outside over night, and our heat has already been on.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,023 Member
    ☘️
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    Heather - your zoom call with the Grands is like ours when one or the other facetimes us. One is always trying to butt in on the other and we can’t communicate with either.

Katla - I updated my iPhone last night too and was quite unimpressed today. Why can’t they just leave well enough alone? Why do they need to change the way we view our apps, the alarm screen is different. So frustrating!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    edited October 2020
    2191610q208gshr57.gif

The wind didn't bother Sasha so we did a lot of walking today.
  • barbiecat
    427818su42xtrsvb.gif
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    Apparently I cannot select my text to copy or cut either, I don’t know if it’s an iPhone change or the MFP app causing issues.

Kaitlyn and her sweet pup Ember joined us for supper. She didn’t stay as long as planned as it started snowing and freezing rain. She has an hour and 10 minute drive home in some country roads.

I am fighting with myself on whether to get one of these pups, there are still two ready for a home. The expense is what keeps holding me back.

ueytaer5xud2.jpeg

872k3w0re5am.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
  • barbiecat
    :)<3Tracey, We love our dogs and can't imagine our lives without them, but they are very expensive.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited October 2020
    Hey ladies!
    Today was a long day! Up early doing the laundromat, the commissary, the pharmacy, packing up box to go to youngest Navy son. In it is some NutterButter bars, chocolate dipped granola bars, beef jerky, Starbucks Columbian coffee instant coffee tubes, hot chocolate packets, a huge chocolate bar, a roll of bubble gum, peanut butter cups, and a birthday/Christmas card. Dang if that kid is turning 22! hard to believe huh!
    Tomorrow is oatmeal chocolate chip cookie making day for my middle sons birthday. We bought a $40 grubhub card too. Here's him:-)
    tlbdkrk5d85c.jpg
    that was in August.
    And Athenas daycare pic. Such a sweet and happy smile the teacher took:-)
    4yiwe4035tgp.jpg
    Next week she starts officially but I think she will have no problem.

Today I made street taco pizzas for me and my eldest. He loved them. Too much salt though, with the kielbasa sausage, the olives, and then I had some Pepperidge Farms snowball cookies. So yummy with my coffee. No regrets. Tomorrows a new day.
    Hugs all:-)
    <3 Rebecca

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited October 2020
    pic of the 22 yr old this summer making rate.
    plwbg0j8w83h.jpg
    Rebecca
  • pipcd34
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,481 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline twice, STAS challenge Day 1, STCA annual meeting by zoom, veg prep.
    Bonus: study voter pamphlet, filled in ballot, typed hymns.
    Get to do: vote, post office, STAS challenge catchup, firehouse best practices survey, submit grant pics and receipts, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s, BGBS, get bank card statement + pay, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Wednesday: call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D, vote, firehall for postings and minutes to history. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    31: Think of 3 things that give you hope for the future: 1:the pendulum swings, 2:the earth abides, 3:love conquers all. Sorry for trite but super pooped, not sure why. Shouldn’t be from just taking the dogs down the drive twice and a little veg prep, but there it is.

Kate (and Heather) “Scandinavia Noir” wouldn’t be to my taste, “2020 USA” is film noir sufficient for me. ;)
    Fae Yes I recommended hot rag, warm cloth, cool cloth compresses to Joe twice. But I’m just his wife. (nasal mwah mwah mwah sound from the peanuts specials.) Still not comfortable enough for me. You’d have to put a saddle on that broom!
    Heather dratted mice! :love: the stained glaass, thanks for the pics!
    @mrsbfe Hi right back atcha!
    Julie is the lockdown for Paris only or for the entire country? If you go to an Airbnb will there be grocery or restaurants nearby?
    Machka I have a “heated throw” larger than a pad, smaller than the under sheet kind. It lives at the foot of my bed. Can plug it in, turn it on, and spread it over feet, or shoulders, or back and hips wherever/whenever needed. Hope it lives forever.
    Pip why Santa Cruz on Election Day? Is it someone’s bday or anniversary?
    Rebecca, congrats to youngest son, best bday wishes to middle son, and bet eldest son loved the street taco pizza! Oh that Athena Rose!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 30, weigh: 29, steps>5491=3938 vits=30 log=30 CI<CO=29 CI<250<CO=20 Tumble & Shadow 5=34 mfp=30 outside=29 up hill=28
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4 dance=1 clean 30 mins=8.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=19 play= sew=0
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Allie- I hope you have a snug quilt, afghan or comforter to keep you warm. I like a cool bedroom, but 61 is a bit chilly for me. :star:

Snowflake- What a wonderful puppy!!! :star: I am in complete agreement with you regarding the iphone. Leave well enough alone!!! I am beginning to get mine back in working order. :grumble:

Barbie- I want to knit!!!! I haven’t found a nearby group to help me get organized for making baby blankets for new moms. The nearest group is miles away and in an area where there are more incidents of Covid 19 than in our area. I hope to get involved as time goes along. :heart:

Rebecca- Your granddaughter is a charmer! Congrats to your son for making rate! :flowerforyou:

I sorted out the issues with my iphone and things are okay again. DH helped. Apple wanted me to make multiple passwords—not happening. I’m lucky to remember one.

Tomorrow is Halloween. I have candy ready for the neighborhood kids. I really hope they come!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    I had to look up what 61F is ...it's 16C. That's what we drop our heater to in the spring and autumn. In winter we drop it to 17C (62.6F). If we know the night time temp is only going down to, say, 12C, we'll turn the heat off entirely.

I've gotten used to being slightly chilly here in Tas!

M in Oz